Frame Bracing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think your loads are not quite right.

Diagram 1 you are missing the resultant force at the swingarm pivot bolt. That force would be pulling down and away from the frame at the pivot bolt.
    The force acting at the fork wouldn't be vertical at that point. The force is at the wheel which is offset from the support so you would have an additional moment at that point in the frame. This moment could be shown as two counteracting forces one at the top of the stem and one at the bottom. The bottom of the stem is pulling in and the top of the stem is pushing out.

Diagram 2 is interesting but I don't agree that changing the axis of "A" would be beneficial. That brace is additionally resisting the moment developed from the wheels distance from the frame. I would imagine that that the load in the front would increase at higher speed cornering which would could torque the front stem. Having "A" braced at its angle would resist that.

Developing a static model wouldn't be hard but who actually knows the forces developed from riding in a turn? Looking at the frame like this really helps to explain why the monoshock is the modern rear suspension.
    I agree that the resultant force on the pivot is not right. After posting i realized that there was something askew. Given the assumptions , what are the pivot bolt forces?

Reading the rest of your comments, there is a common theme. You seem to think that the X-Z plane bending moment is significant if not more important that the torsion effects I described.

Given the relative motion of wheel axis (axles) during aggressive riding I don't see how this bending moment, within reason as being a major concern to handling. It is a concern for JED, if he cuts off is back triangle that is the primary supporting structure for the bike and rider weight but that is the exception.
    Last edited by posplayr; 05-24-2009, 10:35 PM.

Comment

okay, what if i did this:

cut off the brown part

sorry, my mario-paint skills arent as good as yours, and my new PC doesnt have photoshop (yet)
      Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2009, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post

sorry, my mario-paint skills arent as good as yours, and my new PC doesnt have photoshop (yet)
        If you did that it would take you a LOT of time for very little benefit.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The most critical areas of the frame are the neck and the swingarm pivot. It's why all the new sportbikes, except Ducati, have spar frames that do away with the double cradle design and use spar frames that connect the steering head and pivot area in as straight of a line as possible and reinforce those areas. Even most of the touring bikes these days have spar frames. About all the areas you have in your picture might do is strengthen the top shock mount area, and not by much.

Comment

the reason im asking is im monoshocking the frame and i want to build a custom subframe that bolts on, like a modern bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              The most critical areas of the frame are the neck and the swingarm pivot. It's why all the new sportbikes, except Ducati, have spar frames that do away with the double cradle design and use spar frames that connect the steering head and pivot area in as straight of a line as possible and reinforce those areas. Even most of the touring bikes these days have spar frames. About all the areas you have in your picture might do is strengthen the top shock mount area, and not by much.

i left out the part about me cutting the brown part off.

Comment

the reason im asking is im monoshocking the frame and i want to build a custom subframe that bolts on, like a modern bike.
                What kind of swingarm and shock are you using?

Comment

and then do this

the blue is my tabs and new subframe

then add whatever bracing i need.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    what kind of swingarm and shock are you using?

2007 gsxr750

Comment

Originally Posted by jed.only
                      2007 gsxr750
                      A minor omission

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        A minor omission

i know, im silly sometimes.

Comment

JED,
                          The reason I emphasized that rear triangle is because that is probably one of the strongest parts of the frame.

Now it is build that way partially to carry the rider weight but mainly because the shock mount is at the upper rear part of the triangle.

Because a mono shock will not have that load U might be able to get away with it. U will be relying completely on the forward double cradle.

You need to look and see if you can find someone else that has cut off the rear triangle on a GS and see what they think. You are taking a week frame and dropping the strongest part and now trying to build it back up.

If you could get an ME to help you , OK but given your lack of expertise in this area, I would look for other examples before getting the torch out. Maybe even get a GSXR.

The first gen is considered a pretty spindly frame as modern bikes go, but look at the mass of metal on the lower swing arm pivot in order to have a suspended tail.

This is one of the nicest "bug tails" I have seen,

U are definably wanting to do OSS C and D will be accomplished by the mono shock mounts (look at PJ's bike). You are going to have to overcome not having the rear triangle though.

Last edited by posplayr; 05-25-2009, 01:31 AM.

Comment

JED,
                            Here is a more modern mono shock steel framed bike, go to the microfiche and see how they dealt with the under seat sub structure.
                            Pos

Comment

looks like the "cradle" is pretty much braced and the sub is not a "structural" part of the frame, as i suspected.

Comment

JED,
                                Of course when you mono shock the cantilevered tail section only has to support the rider weight. With the twin shock the weight is supported at the rear upper corner of the strength triangle.

The point I have been trying to make is that beyond the strength and support for the rear twin shocks, there is a certain portion GS frame rigidity is coming from this rear triangle as well.

You need to make sure there is plenty of cross bracing in the mono shock mount to increase the frame stiffness to account for this loss.

Pos

Comment

Working...
                                X