Is pingel the ONLY aftermarket petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is pingel the ONLY aftermarket petcock?

I have the infamous vacuum petcock on my 1980 GS550L.

I am considering replacing it. I have read many of the posts about replacing it with the Pingel brand but the price has stopped me so far.

I have seen other aftermarket petcocks for much less.

I would like to hear if anyone has used the cheaper alternative with good results?

Or why so many believe Pingel is the better option regardless of price?
    1980 GS550L

Originally posted by goggles View Post
    Or why so many believe Pingel is the better option regardless of price?
    It is just a well built, good looking, quality piece of equipment.
    And it really doesn't cost that much more than a stock petcock.

Of course you need a sharp memory if you get one, as someone will be sure to point out...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I would think that any gravity fed fuel shutoff valve would work. ie. lawnmower, rotortiller, etc.....The difficulty is mounting it to the tank without it leaking.

I would recommend getting a stock one and not worrying about it for another 20 years or so.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

With some measuring, I seem to recall that someone successfully mounted up an inexpensive dirt bike petcock a while back.

But please keep in mind that the needles and seats in the carbs are not designed to hold back a tank of gas perfectly for days.

One day you will forget to turn off your manual petcock, and you will get a very nasty and expensive surprise from the gasoline filling your engine.

Or, as is even more common, you will forget to turn it on when departing, and the bike will stall just as you merge into traffic. Good luck not ending up as a disgusting Buick hood ornament.

So please sell some plasma, skip a few lattes, sell a little more crack, renegotiate with your pimp, or do whatever you need to do to scare up a few extra bucks for a new OEM petcock. They "only" last about 20 years.

It's a safety critical valve that controls the flow of a highly flammable substance a few inches from your crotch. This is not the place for ghetto hobo-tech halfass band-aid solutions.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          Of course you need a sharp memory if you get one, as someone will be sure to point out...
          Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          One day you will forget to turn off your manual petcock, and you will get a very nasty and expensive surprise from the gasoline filling your engine.

Or, as is even more common, you will forget to turn it on when departing, and the bike will stall just as you merge into traffic. Good luck not ending up as a disgusting Buick hood ornament.
          See............

I've been using manual petcocks for over 30 years...never met a vacuum petcock until a few years ago...
          I find them weird and over complicated...

But that's just me...
          Last edited by Baatfam; 05-21-2009, 09:07 AM.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I like manual petcocks as well, I don't have much trust in something that I don't have manual control of. Granted vacuum petcocks are an enhancement in the evolution of lazyness and it's sorta nice they are automatic but just like with transmissions I like the reliability and control of manual. Some consider manual trans or petcocks tedious and alot of work but just like driving manual after a while you don't even see it as extra work--it just becomes routine.

You can go with other brand petcocks but pingel has made a name for themselves and that's why riders think of them first and foremost when they think about aftermarket petcocks.

Comment

Several people have reported success with this one:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

It's not Suzuki branded (can't remember what was printed on the box), but is probably a pretty faithful duplicate of the original. At $50 it's not a real bank-breaker either. So I ordered one for my 82 GS550L. I'd like to tell you how I like it, but that'll be a few weeks still...

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                It's a safety critical valve that controls the flow of a highly flammable substance a few inches from your crotch. This is not the place for ghetto hobo-tech halfass band-aid solutions.
                Priceless!

Comment

The only time I've ever had a carb leak is when I had done a cleaning and when replacing the float seats I shaved a bit of o-ring off. I have a Pingel on the 700 and even when I forget to turn it off the carbs have never leaked.

Comment

Has anyone tried one of these?

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I'm a Pingel fan. Once you have one, you realize how worth it they are.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        I'm a Pingel fan. Once you have one, you realize how worth it they are.

Ditto on that. I have one on both my bikes. I don't mind turning it off and on. Just part of the ride as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
                          Ditto on that. I have one on both my bikes. I don't mind turning it off and on. Just part of the ride as far as I'm concerned.
                          Ditto Ditto... Spend the money if you are able to.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

I appreciate the replies.

I have enough years under my belt that I agree that makeshift solutions and gasoline do not mix.

I was just curious if anyone found another brand of petcock to be satisfactory.

In a reply from a customer rep. at z1enterprises , he said the Custom Chrome referenced by renobruce would work http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1744 and the Pingel brand which is better quality would also do the job.

As has been posted elsewhere he said to be sure of the bolt spacing (50 mm in my case) when ordering the adapter.

So if somone has used the Custom Chrome or another brand, I would like to hear from them.
                            1980 GS550L

Comment

I'm just using one of these:

It's a solenoid valve designed for gas. When I turn on power it opens and delivers fuel, when I turn power off it closes automatically. Now it is possible that this unit could fail and that my carburetors will run out of fuel in the middle of a turn; but with the OEM petcock if I lose vacuum (hose brakes, port clogs, diaphram breaks) well the same thing could happen. This valve is only like $30.

Or you can modify your pre-existing petcock to be always on and use a cheap inline valve after it.

Comment

Working...
                              X