Hey guys, just picked up an 82 GS650L, have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, just picked up an 82 GS650L, have some questions

Ok, so I got this thing, its sweet, looks so nice I love it. Now, I have some experience with cars, but I'm only 20, so its all been fuel injected stuff. This bike carb thing is new to me ha.

So I got the bike, the guy drove it onto the trailer, drove fine. On the trailer, it kinda tipped over, and wouldnt stay up, so I left it like that for about 15 minutes.

I got home and it wouldn't start. I thought I had flooded it so I let it sit. Where I'm at right now, the bike will start and run, but when I rev it, it revs and almost immediately dies. I can't figure it out. Its running right now but I can't get it to rev up without dying

Hi Mr. AudiA4_20T,

Your issue sounds like it may be related to a bad petcock (or maybe the vacuum line just came off when it tipped), or bad intake boot O-rings. Maybe there is a lot of debris in the tank that is now clogging the mesh filter at the top of the petcock? Have you tried the petcock on the "PRIME" setting? If there was sediment in the float bowls, that could have been introduced into the carb proper causing jets to be clogged or worse.

Here is your "mega-welcome". Please pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

I really like that blue and white color scheme. One member here painted their GS850G like that. It looked so great that I think about doing it too.

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What Cliff said. There is a chance that something got plugged or unplugged when she tipped over ( tank / carbs) or that maybe when the PO loaded it, he was running on choke just to limp it onto the trailer.

Welcome to the GSR and I want to see pics of that cripple ASAP.

NO BETTER LOOKING GS, IMHO!

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the speedy response! You are more welcoming than my Audi buddies on Audizine.com ha. Anyway sorry to not introduce myself, I'm Clint.

I love the FAQ you whipped up, really great. I've done plenty of them for the Audi friends.

It seems as though my intake O-rings may be messed up, as my idle was jumping around. The petcock is fine, as I took the tank off and it was dumping fuel, so thats no problem.

Here are some pics (the bike, not me lol)

Custom Exhaust (sounds nice)

Guy tightened the pod filters too tight grrrr

I need to do something about the paint, but I wanna get her running perfect first

Oh, by the way, the filters are leaking gas... Is that alrite? I know they shouldn't be

Comment

Wow. I have the same exact bike with the same exact rust spots. I used to have the blue paint scheme untill I took it to our body shop. Now the tank and side panels are glossy black.
          I'm there with you in the whole carb thing. I let mind sit for too long and now I think I need to rebuild them. I found residue in the tubs. But when it was running, it was a FANTASTIC ride. You're going to love it!

Comment

Thanks Julia, yea I am pumped... me and a buddy have been tossing the idea around of getting bikes since we were 10 years old Id say. I got really into cars, and finally got a bike. Im 20, but Ive had my license for 2 years already. Anyway, do you have a pic of your bike with the black? My friend said he thought black would be the best, but I'm leaning towards either the original red or blue but ditching the pinstriping and color changes and painting both one solid color

Comment

You have stuck floats. You need to jet for the pods.
              If you want it to run right follow this
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Wow those pipes are a pretty shade of blue . Seriously, what chef said get a jet kit, the bike looks likes its running too lean. When you go through the carbs make a note of the jet sizes so you know what you are dealing with.

Comment

your positive? The guy who sold the bike had a bunch of them and said he had it tuned pretty well. I do trust you guys though. Now, is there anything I need to clean the carbs? Like a kit or something with new o-rings and gaskets and such?

Also, are you sure its not just the intake o-rings? I read over that and it seems that those are my symptoms

Finally, can the pod filter that is broken be causing an issue as well?

Comment

hi, i have essentialy the same bike. it had sat for several years and ran about as you described. a total carb rebuild, including overnite carb dip and new orings, got it running like new. i love that bike but the seat is a medieval torture device.
                    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                    82 gs1100L probably the next project
                    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I have a 650GLD and from the comfort point of view I think is very comfortable. I would like to get a different seat for stetics only. The looks are a bit to bulky. I am only 145 lbs and 5'7".

Any seat options? I checked corvin but they don't list anything for the L.

Comment

Can I get the carb rebuild kit from the dealership?

Comment

Originally posted by AudiA4_20T View Post
                          Can I get the carb rebuild kit from the dealership?
                          Head over to http://www.cycleorings.com/ (run by a member here) for all of your carb o-ring needs. Aside from the o-rings, all you need is some carb dip (many use Berryman's, I used yamaha, but I don't have any results to report yet ).

www.Z1enterprises.com sells full carb rebuild kits, as well as a lot of other stuff. They're $22 each and you'll need four for 4 carburetors. http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=503

Follow the carb cleaning guide here and you should be able to clean/rebuild yourself (and if not, there are plenty of people willing to help!). Tuning, on the other hand, may be a little tricky, but GSR people always help out

Comment

thanks Fenix! I go to school down in MD we should get a group together sometime.

Anyway, just ordered 4 rebuild kits from Z1, the full O-ring set, carb intake O-rings, and fasteners. Should be good to go after this!

Another question, what kind of blasting do you guys do to clean these carbs off? I want them to look really good before I put them back if I'm going to take them apart

Comment

I go to school down in MD we should get a group together sometime.
                              Where abouts? I live in baltimore.

Comment

Working...
                              X