Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My shocks aren't equal lengths is that a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My shocks aren't equal lengths is that a problem?

My GS1100G rear shocks are approx 2 to 3mm different in length from stud center to center. 327 left and 329.5 right.

I am not confident that I have a great ability to judge/feel how the bike should handle, but seem to feel that the bike is a bit more reluctant to smoothly drop into right hand corners.

Is it likely that these issues are related? Is it a problem (the differing shock lengths) if so, what should I be looking at doing about it?

TIA

I would not be at all concerned about it. You do not even have a guarantee that your shocks were perfect nor that they will perform in exact harmony under any circumstances. Even if they were perfect initially, they will not remain the same over time and use.

The upper mounting studs do get replaced sometimes. It could be that an original one broke off when the bike went down, but more often the threads were damaged and when a new one had to be installed the position was not exact.

That might explain how it could have occurred, but I doubt that a difference in length of 2mm would make any significant, or even noticeable, difference in the handling of a twenty-plus year old bike.
    "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
      My GS1100G rear shocks are approx 2 to 3mm different in length from stud center to center. 327 left and 329.5 right.

I am not confident that I have a great ability to judge/feel how the bike should handle, but seem to feel that the bike is a bit more reluctant to smoothly drop into right hand corners.

Is it likely that these issues are related? Is it a problem (the differing shock lengths) if so, what should I be looking at doing about it?

TIA
      If one shock was shorter then the swinging arm bearings would wear out more on one side I assume.

can you take the shock off and check the arm for flexing on the pivot shaft?

Comment

Thanks guys. I installed an old pack rack that came with the bike when I bought it and found that the stud on the right side has been stripped so bad I can't get the acorn nut done up.

Reading your replies, I see the answer to my next question.

I shall get the stud replaced and relocated 2 mm lower... two problems solved (even if one wasn't a problem)

Cheers

Comment

If they're original shocks, they're evil crap anyway. Replace. Don't modify your frame to match crappy shocks.

Also, is that the "free" length, with the shocks removed, or did you measure the installed length? It may simply be that your swingarm is a little wonky, or perhaps your swingarm bearings are a little off. A tiny bit of play in a swingarm bearing could easily get magnified out at the shocks.

But in the end, I really wouldn't worry about this at all. Even on modern bikes, there are tiny misalignments like this from the factory on every bike. The truly obsessed have been known to strip down their new racebikes and send the frames to a frame alignment shop to be tweaked into perfection.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            The truly obsessed have been known to strip down their new racebikes and send the frames to a frame alignment shop to be tweaked into perfection.
            Lol I did that once to my GS1000 frame after an impromptu flight off a small cliff back in 80... I did my "obsessing" with a sledge hammer

Comment

Working...
            X