Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inline 4 engine (GS750, 850, 1100 etc) fit a twin frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inline 4 engine (GS750, 850, 1100 etc) fit a twin frame?

Is there any way for a GS inline 4 to fit in a twin frame? (IE a GS400/450)

I think you know why I'm asking

Don't wear shorts.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

With enough money anything is posible. Pratical NO

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Don't wear shorts.
        That's a good one! Kind of like when you ask the person, "Have you ever ridden in a helicopter?" When they answer "No", You say, "Don't worry, you will!". I used that line when I was a service tech at a dealership and a wealthy mom was buying her 13 year old inexperienced son a brand new CR250 dirt bike. Dar

Comment

No, I've thought & thought but can't figure why you are asking. Why would you ever even think of a 750 in a 450 frome???
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I can't figure it out either -- there are a lot more of the GS fours floating around than the twins.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Because there's a lot more 4's around my area as parts bikes than twins. And since I don't have an engine in my twin frame, well.. If I could fit in a four I'd be set, right?

I also think it would be rediculously awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
                Because there's a lot more 4's around my area as parts bikes than twins. And since I don't have an engine in mine, well.. If I could fit in a four I'd be set, right?
                Its not only a matter of fitting, but of the ability of the twin frame to withstand the stresses and weight of a four. I dunno bout the GSs, ive never really looked closely at a GS twin, but alot of the old Yammie twins, and Honda twins were single down tube split basket frames. I simply dont think that frame would be able to handle the motor. Its just not a good idea. Why dont you just try to buy a cheap four complete and fix it up??

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Its not only a matter of fitting, but of the ability of the twin frame to withstand the stresses and weight of a four. I dunno bout the GSs, ive never really looked closely at a GS twin, but alot of the old Yammie twins, and Honda twins were single down tube split basket frames. I simply dont think that frame would be able to handle the motor. Its just not a good idea. Why dont you just try to buy a cheap four complete and fix it up??
                  That's it in a nutshell. The 450 frame was not built to handle a 750 and larger motor.

Comment

Ahhh, alright. I assume this is why it's never really been done before. Well thanks for preventing future heartache

Comment

because then you could have a 750 with 400 insurance costs...

it is a double tube frame the whole way, the 300/250 is the single tube

Comment

Working...
                      X