Good place to buy valve cover gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good place to buy valve cover gaskets?

I am looking for a good place to buy valvecover gaskets for a 83 gs850 and a 81 gs450. ANY info on where, best kind or any other info would be great. Thanks

im sure your not even close to my area are you?
    if you was...
    i believe i have both.
    i have quite a few new/OEM thick style VC gaskets that are out of the multi gasket packages they came in..
    i would need a VC to match these up.

Comment

Hi,

For my 850, I swear by Real Gaskets, reusable silicone. Otherwise, go OEM gaskets and you won't have any problems. See the list of vendors on my website or on the links page of GSR.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

In my recent rebuild project, I decided to give Real Gaskets a try. I'm giving up on my try. If I torque the gasket down to Real Gasket specs, it causes the engine to spit out the half moon seals. If I don't torque it to specs, then it leaks.

Seemed like a really good idea at the time, but tonight I'm going to put in an OEM gasket.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dwvoss View Post
          In my recent rebuild project, I decided to give Real Gaskets a try. I'm giving up on my try. If I torque the gasket down to Real Gasket specs, it causes the engine to spit out the half moon seals. If I don't torque it to specs, then it leaks.

Seemed like a really good idea at the time, but tonight I'm going to put in an OEM gasket.

Dan
          Last time, I turned my half moons around so the flange is on the inside. Why? Because I noticed they would fit, and it seemed to make more sense. Depending on the manufacturing of your particular head, there may not be room. Before that, I had good luck with some firm setting sealant.

Are your half moons old and squished?
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

No, new half moons and used Hondabond HT on the curved edges to make sure I'd get a good seal.

Comment

Old "pre-squished" half-moons work better with a RealGasket.

New half-moons can still stick up enough to cause a leak with the softer RealGasket.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Maybe that's what's wrong. When I put the new ones in mine a couple years ago, they stuck up above the gasket face by about a millimeter. I clamped them down over night with the cam cover, and no gasket. They've been reused several times now (especially with my epic top-end rerereassembly), with just slight weeping since the last adjustment.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

If I re-use the half moons, do I need to put silicon or anything around them?

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
                    If I re-use the half moons, do I need to put silicon or anything around them?
                    No silicon. You can wrap a little teflon tape around the curved portion of them.
                    The reason for no silicon is that a piece of it may make it's way inside the engine and block an oil passage.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

half moon seals

I have been using the Real Gasket valve cover gaskets for several years with success. when installing the half moon seals I have been using a little Permatex Motoseal and have had no problems. Ray
                      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

With the real gaskets..what torque settings do you use with them ? Thanks.
                        1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars View Post
                          With the real gaskets..what torque settings do you use with them ? Thanks.
                          I believe the specs call for 15 INCH pounds. Note that INCH is emphasized.
                          That's because specs for the stock gasket are about 6-7.5 FOOT pounds, which is 72-90 INCH pounds.

The Real Gaskets don't take much more than just taking up the slack.
                          sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When installing my RealGasket, I don't have a torque wrench that goes down to 15 inch lbs, so I install all the bolts as hard as I can finger tight, then tighten with a wrench by about one more bolt flat (60 degrees or less of rotation).

Comment

I do have a Snap-On wrench, and it worked out to finger-tight + 1/4 turn...I don't bother with the torque wrench anymore, after the initial assembly, following a valve check/adjust....just periodically check them & snug up any loose ones by feel.
                              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                              X