No announcement yet.

Flat battery - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, they could run on AC. Filament-type bulbs don't care if it's AC or DC that feeds them, as long as they get plenty of what they need.

Ace, it's entirely possible that you have a loose or bad connection in that loop, simply because there are so many connections. Starting with the stator wire, there is the connection into the main harness (connection #1). That wire goes to a large connector under the tank where it meets another wire (connection #2). If you have a headlight switch, that wire goes to the switch (connection #3), then comes back to the connector under the tank (connection #4), back into the main harness and finally the connection to the r/r (connection #5). In my opinion, that is simply too many chances for a problem to arise. It is far better to have just ONE connection from stator to r/r.

p.s. Enumerating the connections above does not even take into account the actual interface from copper wire to brass connector, then, on the other side of the connector, going back to the copper wire. If you count all those interfaces, there are more like 15 places where corrosion can set in.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Oh, they could run on AC. Filament-type bulbs don't care if it's AC or DC that feeds them, as long as they get plenty of what they need.

Ace, it's entirely possible that you have a loose or bad connection in that loop, simply because there are so many connections. Starting with the stator wire, there is the connection into the main harness (connection #1). That wire goes to a large connector under the tank where it meets another wire (connection #2). If you have a headlight switch, that wire goes to the switch (connection #3), then comes back to the connector under the tank (connection #4), back into the main harness and finally the connection to the r/r (connection #5). In my opinion, that is simply too many chances for a problem to arise. It is far better to have just ONE connection from stator to r/r.

p.s. Enumerating the connections above does not even take into account the actual interface from copper wire to brass connector, then, on the other side of the connector, going back to the copper wire. If you count all those interfaces, there are more like 15 places where corrosion can set in.
      Actually, as I re-read the posts of PSYGUY, he said that the wire from the headlight switch to the R/R did not have voltage. So - yep, he's shorting out somewhere in that circuit. But the solution doesn't change.

The only thing I would consider doing would be to have a good look at the headlight switch. If the problem originates from there, corrsosion may be eating into it.

Comment

thanks fellas, learned a lot in this last venture - it's amazing how i've read all you've said already in the past posts on the forum but it wasn't untill i actually had a problem on MY bike that i now understand the theory much better than before.
        as i have an upgraded rr i'll opt for a direct connection of all stator wires directly to the rr. i certainly don't fancy chasing all the connections in the stator-headlight-rr loop.
        and when i'm done with the new setup i'll adopt the following hands-on measuring approach:

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
        If you do not know the rr capacity, manually checking them for heat after a ride with the lights off and battery fully charged will guide you. If it burns your fingers it needs to be uprated, if just warm to the touch you should be OK.
        choice!
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          thanks fellas, learned a lot in this last venture - it's amazing how i've read all you've said already in the past posts on the forum but it wasn't untill i actually had a problem on MY bike that i now understand the theory much better than before.
          as i have an upgraded rr i'll opt for a direct connection of all stator wires directly to the rr. i certainly don't fancy chasing all the connections in the stator-headlight-rr loop.
          and when i'm done with the new setup i'll adopt the following hands-on measuring approach:

choice!
          Heat can also be a symptom of poor connections not just overload of the R/R. In fact the R/R will get hotter from shunting current back to the stator rather than to the load.

Heat is an indication of a problem not necessarily excessive load current. In fact if no loads have change you are more likely to just have bad connections

Comment

Recap and update
            • new battery, 13.4V off the charger, holds charge well
            • honda rr with the sense wire spliced into the main switched wire (coming from the ignition switch). rr + and - directly to the battery.
            • stator all three legs read 80+ V at 5000rpm
            • one stator leg going through the headlight switch was dead so i now connected all three legs directly to the rr
            charging data at a constant 5000rmp:
            • headlight off - 14.8V and steady
            • headlight ON - voltage drops to under 14V and keeps falling to under 13V within a few minutes (i stopped testing at that point) - results even worse with the high beam (standard H4 bulb)

needless to say the sob is driving me crazy

thanks for the help so far
            GS850GT

Comment

so, where to from here?
              GS850GT

Comment

#1 The first thing I would do is to remove sense wire location as an issue by directly connecting the sense wire to the battery + terminal (at least temporarily).

#2 measure the voltage drop in the connections directly when you have the headamp on and are getting the loss of regulation.

As per the revised stator pages (I recently updated), the only way to be sure you don't have charging issues is to confirm the voltage drops between R/R and battery at 5000 RPM.

measure Step#2 and #3

http://www.posplayr.100megsfree3.com..._Phase%20A.pdf
                Last edited by posplayr; 08-17-2009, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Starting to look like you have a "near" short to earth in the lighting circuit.
                  I am guessing that you have checked the connections.
                  Might also be worth checking for a wire that has rubbed through the insulation and is touching another wire or the painted frame etc.
                  No doubt the experts will tell me I am wrong, but I had similar a problem and when I ran a new lighting circuit the problem went away.
                  Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post
                    Starting to look like you have a "near" short to earth in the lighting circuit.
                    I am guessing that you have checked the connections.
                    Might also be worth checking for a wire that has rubbed through the insulation and is touching another wire or the painted frame etc.
                    No doubt the experts will tell me I am wrong, but I had similar a problem and when I ran a new lighting circuit the problem went away.
                    Cheers
                    That could be the problem, but the measured symptoms would be low voltage drops between battery and R/R and a decreasing voltage at both R/R and battery.

Comment

I don't know if this will be of help but here goes. Last week I had nearly the same problem with my 83 GS1100GL. My battery was on the old side and it had cranked slow that morning but started. About three blocks from the house it quit running. I put a new battery in that afternoon, started right up and drove home. Latter that evening I went to start and the battery was dead. Pulled the left cover and only 0.10 volts on the DVM. Then I noticed the rubber boot covering the stator leads had melted and the stator wiring had burned open at the electrical connectors. I recharged the battery, repaired the stator connectors and ran the stator and RR tests, everything checked OK. You might take a look at the stator connectors. I guessing here but I think bad connections coupled with a battery that readily accepted the bikes output charge cause the connector to heat up and burn open and then the RR wires shorted and drained the battery. I'm still mystified and my guess my be way off but I do not seem to have any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        #1 The first thing I would do is to remove sense wire location as an issue by directly connecting the sense wire to the battery + terminal (at least temporarily).

#2 measure the voltage drop in the connections directly when you have the headamp on and are getting the loss of regulation.

As per the revised stator pages (I recently updated), the only way to be sure you don't have charging issues is to confirm the voltage drops between R/R and battery at 5000 RPM.

measure Step#2 and #3

http://www.posplayr.100megsfree3.com..._Phase%20A.pdf
                        thanks posplyr!

now, forgive my ignorance, but:

1. i have the rr wires connected directly to the battery - so, do i still need to test steps #2 and #3 from your stator papers?

2. if i connect the sense wire directly to the battery is that not going to slowly drain the battery?
                        GS850GT

Comment

thanks posplyr!

1. i have the rr wires connected directly to the battery - so, do i still need to test steps #2 and #3 from your stator papers?

2. if i connect the sense wire directly to the battery is that not going to slowly drain the battery?
                          That is a temporary connection for testing.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks posplyr!

I don't know how you can directly connect the R/R to the battery without using some sort of connector . On the plus side you should also have a fuse/fuse box. If you get down to a straight piece of wire that is less than 1 foot long I would figure the same voltage at both ends but not if it has a connection on it.

So do you have any connections or fuses to connect the R/R to the battery? If so, Stab the center of the battery post (with a test lead) and put the other end as close to the R/R housing as you can get. A 0.1 ohms resistance with 10 amps could cause a drop of 1 full volt which could explain the problem.

And please do not use an ohm meter to check for resistance, it can be used to detect a problem but it is inconclusive for a positive test (i.e. no issues). The modified stator pages does a loaded voltage test to indicate if there is excessive resistance.

This should be a simple process of elimination and not a big mystery. When I reworked the stator pages, I confirmed (as best I could) that all possible failure scenarios would be detected given those basic test steps. I would be real surprised if a methodical progression through the steps would not be able to diagnose the true failure.

The only deviation is as Bill said to take the Honda R/R sense wire out of the equation (temporarily) by connecting directly to the battery. That will not cause discharge unless left off for an extended period (1 week). Since you plan to ride and test that will have no bearing.

Ironically having a little resistance would allow me to diagnose by evaluating the voltage combinations at the R/R and battery.

Sorry to be anal, but I can't see your physical layout and the process I outlined should detect the failure.

Comment

thanks posplyr, i only ask because i like to learn as i work on this bike.

off testing now
                              GS850GT

Comment

Further testing
                                • connected the rr sense wire directly to the batt +. that made NO difference to the charging readings.
                                • measured rr positive lead voltage drop : 0.13V
                                • measured rr negative lead voltage drop : 0.10V
                                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                                X