Flat battery - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat battery - why?

UPDATE: YOU CAN GO DIRECTLY TO POST #107 FOR A SUMMARY OF THE PROBLEM. thanks

i started the engine multiple times during today's ride over a period of a few hours and a few hundred kms - and then all of a sudden i had a flat battery.
    it happened once before (a few months ago, but i thought that was due to the battery being old, so i put a new battery in).

so:
    • the battery is new and was on a charger til just before the ride
    • the battery holds the charge overnight all right
    • i recently tested the charging system and it was fine.
    • most of the accessible electrical connections were cleaned and greased (other than those within the switches).
    what do i do next?
    Last edited by psyguy; 09-28-2009, 01:03 AM.
    GS850GT

Recheck the charging system.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm sitting here trying to think of something, because I would figure you've got you're charging system in order, as chef mentioned and you mentioned.

Could it possibly be a shorted starter armature ? You start and start and start until the brushes land on the shorted section (like russian roulette), then press the start button...click dead battery ? If you're sure it's not the charging system, I'd swap out the starter for awhile and see what happens.

I don't know man, what I'm suggesting may be a silly ideal. But those windings can short out, I'd say. I'm just not sure what the result would be. <shrugs>

Comment

to measure is to know. Get a VOM

Comment

i'll re-check the charging system tomorrow, so i have a reliable information to start from.
          GS850GT

Comment

Is your battery a wet-cell battery?

Have you checked the electrolyte level?

Constant charging of a wet-cell batter can lower the electrolyte level, leaving very little in reserve. If it has been dry for a while, there is not much chance of bringing it back up to snuff. If you have to change the battery, consider an AGM battery.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

latest data

battery is on a maintenance charger that charges the battery only when the voltage drops below certain level

today's readings:
              • electrolyte level ok
              • fresh off the charger battery reads 13.3V
              • then it settles at 12.8V (ignition off)
              • with the ignition ON: 12.5V across battery terminals
              • honda rr with the sense wire spliced into the main orange wire going to the fuse block - voltage at that sense wire and battery neg 11.8V (i.e. 0.7V drop compared to the battery itself)
              • charging voltage at 2000rpm 13.2V
              • charging voltage at 5000rpm 14.4V
              so, that's all ok, right?
              GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by errorcauser View Post
                Could it possibly be a shorted starter armature ? You start and start and start until the brushes land on the shorted section (like russian roulette), then press the start button...click dead battery ?
                would this cause the battery to immediately go flat? without any fuse going off?
                GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                  battery is on a maintenance charger that charges the battery only when the voltage drops below certain level

today's readings:
                  • electrolyte level ok
                  • fresh off the charger battery reads 13.3V
                  • then it settles at 12.8V (ignition off)
                  • with the ignition ON: 12.5V across battery terminals
                  • honda rr with the sense wire spliced into the main orange wire going to the fuse block - voltage at that sense wire and battery neg 11.8V (i.e. 0.7V drop compared to the battery itself)
                  • charging voltage at 2000rpm 13.2V
                  • charging voltage at 5000rpm 14.4V
                  so, that's all ok, right?
                  0.7V drop is high, but it seems to balance out to just about perfect charging at 14.4V

Comment

would this cause the battery to immediately go flat? without any fuse going off?
                    battery can't just go dead without some smoke and flames. If you go key off 12.8V and 12.5V key on that is an indication battery is still good. Started could be open but the energy can not be either created or destroyed. All the charge in the battery cant just disappear.

The R/R sense wire is supposed to be switched. Some tell tales of pulling the battery down with the sense wire. Have you tried hooking it to something switched? I'm Too lazy to figure out is Orange wire is switched or not.

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      0.7V drop is high
                      i assume this would be due to the coroded connections within the ignition switch (as this is the only switch on the thick orange wire), right?

is there any way of fixing this?
                      GS850GT

Comment

I'd imagine it could, but as you've brought up, it would probably blow a fuse. But, then again, anything's possible, I've seen some strange things before.

To be honest, I was grasping at straws in an attempt to try and help you, give you something to go with or check. I've seen your posts before, and I'm sure you know your way around one of these bikes. So, I figured you had the charging system in order, and not to much left to look for, you know ?

Steve, Bill, or Jim would be a lot better at helping you figure this out, I'm sure.

Like I said, my ideal with the starter may be silly. I'm sure they can short out, just not sure what one would do, or not do when it shorted.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          I'm Too lazy to figure out is Orange wire is switched or not.

Pos
                          the thick orange wire IS switched - it is the main wire coming back from the ignition
                          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by errorcauser View Post
                            To be honest, I was grasping at straws in an attempt to try and help you, give you something to go with or check. I've seen your posts before, and I'm sure you know your way around one of these bikes. So, I figured you had the charging system in order, and not to much left to look for, you know ?
                            thanks mate, i'm pulling my hair at the moment, as it unnerving to know you can loose your battery just like that - with no fried wires/fuses/etc.
                            GS850GT

Comment

oh, btw, all connectors related to the charging system have been replaced with new ones and i have re-checked them today and nothing seemed loose
                              i was thinking i may have a loose connection somewhere so the charging system hooks off for a while, let the battery go empty during the ride, but this doesnt seem to be the case
                              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                              X