oil filter studs striped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil filter studs striped

82 gs550 while changing oil filter discovered that threads on frozen studs were striped, one stud came out after double nut stunt,the others will not.so I guess will have to drill out and heli-coil,unless someones got something else to try>

Originally posted by ramrod400 View Post
    82 gs550 while changing oil filter discovered that threads on frozen studs were striped, one stud came out after double nut stunt,the others will not.so I guess will have to drill out and heli-coil,unless someones got something else to try>
    get some mole grips on them and get them out, then buy some replacements
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

oil filkter studs

I have a 82 gs850g. If the studs are like mine (3) were stripped and blew out. I just took them out with vice grips and replaced them with bolts and lock washers. Works fine!! Bob Shaw-new member

Comment

Replace them with new studs. They're maybe 99 cents each. You won't have to heli-coil. Use a bit of blue Loctite on the part that goes into the engine.

Do NOT replace the studs with screws (other than temporarily) -- after a couple of oil changes, the threads in the soft aluminum in the engine will start to wear out.

For now, you can simply unscrew the old studs with vise-grips, reinstall the oil filter cover using 6mm screws, and order new studs. Replace the studs at the next oil change.

Replace the nuts, too.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I used vice grips, It just was going to twist them off.I have new studs,just not looking forward to mess with it
          Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2009, 06:45 PM.

Comment

The aluminum block and the steel studs have different temperature coefficients. That's actually good news if you have a way to heat the stud until it is red. Then grab it with your vise grips and it will turn out easily. Propane alone won't get you there but MAPP gas will. Once the studs are removed you can either replace the studs (don't forget the anti-seize compound) or use something like a Time-Sert which IMO is superior to a helicoil in applications where the fastener has to be removed and replaced. Plus, unlike helicoils, Time-Serts can be replaced themselves if they start to show wear. Go to www.time-sert.com and check them out. BTW, I have absolutely no affiliation with them at all, nor with anyone who sells their products.
            Don
            Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X