It lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    First, lets get something clear sir... That black motor (in stock form vs stock form) will dust your silver motor. Secondly, your jetting set up sounds like what im running, but im running 34s not 36s.. The 83 (black motor) had the hottest stock cams of any of the 1100 motors, with a roughly 298? grind i think it was. The 1150 is about a 315. To me, they just feel quite a bit punchier up top compared to the earlier bikes. But your old motor was all hopped up so i dunno. Could be a gearing difference too?
    You're running a 137.5 Mikuni main? I thought you were running a 138 Dynojet main.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      You can remove a spark plug and put a pencil into the intake and see how far the pieces get spit out of the exhaust. I have a calibrated ruler for your V&H which reads out compression ratio .

To get the bore, you have to put a balloon onto the intake side and compare the diameter to the size of a balloon attached to the exhaust. Obviously you also have to push air into the intake balloon with a compressor.

Works a charm ; Blah B;ah B;ah

Pos

P.S. advance Kills
      Hey Jim, what is the link to your electrical article. I need the info, thanks.

Also, I thought you were suppose to use a rubber instead of a balloon??

Well Bill, Thats Great that that engine has got good stuff. Now don't tinker all that juice out of it...........

Comment

Originally posted by HammerHead View Post

Which article? there have been so many.

Oh yea a rubber would provide a good substitute, you just have to figure the volume of a wiener

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          You're running a 137.5 Mikuni main? I thought you were running a 138 Dynojet main.
          Imeant to bold the set up you were talking about with the second set up.
          138 dj main but stock pilot. Needles at 3.5

Comment

Which article? there have been so many.
            The grounding check you described on the Shasta ride. I think I have this grounding problem on my GSX1100. It will run fine one time and then the next time it will not fire on at least one cyl. The next time I fire it up it runs Great and burns all the oil out of that cyl. I am not sure what the problem is but need a place to start and your discription of checking all the grounds to make sure they are good grounds is probably a good place to start. I also need to test the coils as well. Any advise would also be most appreciated Mr Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
              Yee Gods, another flying banana!! Take ya time with that 1230 mill. You know the rules, "three strikes and you're out".

You stole some parts off Jim's bike in the back ground didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                You stole some parts off Jim's bike in the back ground didn't you?
                Not sure of the connection here. I'm innocent!!!!

Notice I saw on a bus shelter in Sydney a few years back. "Bill posters will be prosecuted". Someone replied, "I'm innocent, signed Bill Posters"
                The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Egads! I'm a Bill Poster.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The grounding check you described on the Shasta ride. I think I have this grounding problem on my GSX1100. It will run fine one time and then the next time it will not fire on at least one cyl. The next time I fire it up it runs Great and burns all the oil out of that cyl. I am not sure what the problem is but need a place to start and your discription of checking all the grounds to make sure they are good grounds is probably a good place to start. I also need to test the coils as well. Any advise would also be most appreciated Mr Jim.
                    Here is the thread for revised stator pages tests for charging system. The key is making sure that the connections between R/R (+) and Battery (+) has a low voltage drop at 5000 RPM as well as the voltage drop from R/R(-) to the battery (-). You also want a direct connection from R/R (-) to the closest frame ground. Is GSX1100 a 80-83 GS1100?

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Is GSX1100 a 80-83 GS1100?

Jim, thanks for the links. No, the GSX1100 is an 89.

Comment

Is GSX1100 a 80-83 GS1100?

Jim, thanks for the links. No, the GSX1100 is an 89.
                        Not sure how much time you were sepnding north of the border and started calling GS's GSX's

Anyway, the only concern was if the GSX had an alternator like a GSXR. The GS's have a DC magnet generator and are hyper sensitive to the regulator connections.

Comment

Well Bill, Thats Great that that engine has got good stuff. Now don't tinker all that juice out of it...........
                          Guess you wasn't paying attention, huh.
                          Last edited by Sandy; 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM.
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                            Nice pic Sandy; I'm anxious to get one last road trip in before the end of the month. Good times. Of course I'm not working on anything on the bike

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                              Sandy, I was payin attention. Bills the one gazin off into the trees. Yes, very nice picture of the teacher.........

Comment

Not sure how much time you were sepnding north of the border and started calling GS's GSX's

Anyway, the only concern was if the GSX had an alternator like a GSXR. The GS's have a DC magnet generator and are hyper sensitive to the regulator connections.
                                Jim, after reading the info, I'm sure that my issue is not related but thats a very good article and something we all need again and again. The GSX is a Katana and does have the same alternator and engine as the GSXR.

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Working...
                                X