starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter

so the starter was just grinding... so I pulled the starter off and there where several teeth missing. what's the best route for me to take now its a 82 gs300L is there rebuild kits...anyone parting one out?

best bet is a second hand one, try ebay. you may want to strip out the starter ring gear assembly on the flywheel to check for damage on that and also to try and find the reason why it stripped a few teeth.

plus, you need to find the broken teeth floating around your engine!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Gear teeth are missing on the starter shaft or the ring gear?

I have not opened a GS300 engine, but presume it is the same as the larger ones.

You need....really need....to know what happened to the missing pieces.

Doing that means you must pull off the stator cover and be sure the entire area is clear of shrapnel that will otherwise damage your engine.

Check carefully to be sure the pieces found match what is missing.

There is a small pocket in the cover that might trap the pieces, if they fell directly downwards, but the rotational action involved suggests they would not necessarily fall straight down.

With luck, that will be where you find everything, but if not please note that it is possible some of the pieces that moved into the stator area could be there still, and they MUST be removed. Some small pieces may even have washed down to the sump. The latter reduces risk, but they still must be removed.

If the starter is shot, the cost for a new replacement armature would be higher than the cost of a used starter.

If you should need brushes, try www.stockers.com
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Is there anyway to put a kick start on it?...i found one online but it was for about the same price that i got the bike for..but on that it said that it was the same starter for the 300 to the 600 anyone know or have part number for it?

Comment

the teeth that have come off should, if you are lucky, will be stuck to the magnetic rotor. hopefully they wouldnt have damaged it to much if they have
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Not sure if the 300 is the same, but the larger bikes have starters that are fairly interchangeable, the bolt pattern is the same on most of the bikes. If your is the same it should be easy to find one that fits.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo451 View Post
              Is there anyway to put a kick start on it?...i found one online but it was for about the same price that i got the bike for..but on that it said that it was the same starter for the 300 to the 600 anyone know or have part number for it?
              You found a kick starter online? That's nice, but it won't fit. If you found an electric starter, follow the tips below.

I really like it when somebody says "I don't want to get it because it will cost more than I paid for the bike." Well, if you paid thousands of dollars for the bike, I can understand it, but if you only paid $100 for the bike, why should you limit your purchases to $100 or less for repairs. When you manage to get a bike real cheap, think of it as having that much more to be able to repair it.

For starter interchangability, look up the part on Alpha Sports, then plug the factory part number into the reverse search feature at Babbitts to see what all it fits.

NOTE: you probably don't want to buy from Alpha, they tend to have the highest prices of any of the online dealers.
              They just have a very easy to use parts finder that will also give you the superceded part numbers.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                If you should need brushes, try www.stockers.com
                Stocker's is also a great place to figure out interchangeability.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X