No announcement yet.

turn signal help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the information that I gave, is assuming the wiring is still connected as it was from the factory, with just the turn signal module disconnected.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 11-12-2009, 12:20 PM. Reason: with just the turn signal module disconnected.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hey Rustybronco, won't that connect the output of the flasher to the cancel switch which if operated will short the switched 12v output of the flasher to GND with no load?

Am I reading the diagram or your post wrong?
      It's smoke that make electronic components work.
      Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
      '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
      '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL
      '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Martin, do you have the owners manual to look at, as opposed to the one on basscliffs site. they appear to be two different diagrams.

on the diagram in the owners manual, the orange? (center position) wire of the turn signal switch changes to the brown/yellow wire that goes to the TSCM. can you verify it on your '79 with an ohm meter? that would help greatly as I can't do it on my '80...

(maybe I should buy a '79 to go with the owner manual )
        Last edited by rustybronco; 11-12-2009, 12:39 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Martin, do you have the owners manual to look at, as opposed to the one on basscliffs site. they appear to be two different diagrams.

on the diagram in the owners manual, the orange? (center position) wire of the turn signal switch changes to the brown/yellow wire that goes to the TSCM. can you verify it on your '79 with an ohm meter? that would help greatly as I can't do it on my '80...

(maybe I should buy a '79 to go with the owner manual )
          No, don't have an actual manual to look at, maybe that's why we're seeing things differently. I'm at work now so can't go look at the machine (it's raining today and being English I've had enough of riding in that ). BUT the listing I wrote a couple of posts back was definitely what I figured the wiring to be when I made my own box a couple of years back so I have confidence the colours were correct with listed function at the harness.
          '82 GS1000SZ
          '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
            No, don't have an actual manual to look at, maybe that's why we're seeing things differently. I'm at work now so can't go look at the machine (it's raining today and being English I've had enough of riding in that ). BUT the listing I wrote a couple of posts back was definitely what I figured the wiring to be when I made my own box a couple of years back so I have confidence the colours were correct with listed function at the harness.
            i think we are all getting a bit mixed up here ..

here is what i have done after removing the control unit .
            i installed the original turn signals , i joined the light green/black with the light green and the light blue/black to solid black wires together .

this has now given me turn signals , however they do not blink ,

it also says on the wiring info on this site , to connect light blue to orange/yellow to bring the flasher into circuit .( thewre is no orange/yellow on my 6 pin plug)

at the moment i have left a 2 pin flasher unit attached to the original flasher plug on the lhs of the bike , now that i have removed the self cancelling unit , the flasher is now not in the circuit .. pleeeze heeeelpppp

the wires i have on my 6 pin plug are
            1. light blue
            2. orange
            3. black/white
            4. brown/yellow,
            5. black/red,
            6. blue/red

i have not changed the handlebar switch yet, i want to get the turn signals working first ..

where in the circuit should i install the flasher unit .. please forgive my ignorance but this has me truly baffled

Comment

Ok BigAl,

Rustybronco is looking at the diagram in his owners manual. Apparently that does not tie up with the wiring diagram in the workshop manual or the colour diagram both of which are available from BassCliff's site. As he's always sharp on these kind of things, it caused some confusion. However, in light of that discrepancy and the seeming agreement between your system and the one on my machine, here's what we think should sort this out for you...

Currently your flasher is out of circuit and is the reason why there's no blinking... uh... well blinking, the last two mods below bring it back into circuit. Here's what needs to be done:

at the control box, connect:
              1 - light blue/black -> black (connects handlebar switch left o/p to left signal pair) DONE
              2 - light green/black -> light green (connects handlebar switch right o/p to right signal pair) DONE
              3 - light blue -> brown/yellow (connects o/p of flahser to handle bar switch on wire used for cancel)

at the handlebar switch connect:
              1 - brown/yellow -> orange (connects o/p of flasher to common of turn signal switch)

All those changes need to be done before you test anything but take note that I've never been into the handlebar switch so the orange I listed above is from the diagram. When done that should give you blinking turn signals for the duration you hold the switch in one direction or the other. When you let go, they should stop.

Assuming those changes get you to that point, the easiest way to complete the job is to change the existing momentary switch with a latching type from somewhere. When you do that, make sure you retain the connections as described above.

Another option would be to use some latching type relays and recreate the existing functionality in a (cheaper) replacement control box. I haven't looked at doing that but I will when time permits. The one I did recreates the self cancel feature but can also be full manual. Beauty is it plugs directly into the harness and works with the momentary switches so no mods required.

NOTE: DO NOT be tempted to splice the brown/yellow to the orange at the harness connector. The orange going to the handlebar switch also feeds constant 12v to the main light switch. If you connect the brown/yellow to the orange at the connector your main lights (headlamp and the like) will flash all the time. No avoiding it mate, have to open up that switch. A word of caution: I've never opened that particular one, but experience of others would suggest you are real careful watching for springs, minute contacts and assorted bits of plastic flying out across the room.

Post back and let us know how it goes. GOOD LUCK.
              '82 GS1000SZ
              '82 GS1100GL

Comment

it is very appreciated that you's have taken the time to help me out ..

ill get into it first thing in the morning ( its 10pm here just now)

ill keep my fingers crossed that it works

ill post back tommorrow with the result.

thanks again

al

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
                  Ok BigAl,

Rustybronco is looking at the diagram in his owners manual. Apparently that does not tie up with the wiring diagram in the workshop manual or the colour diagram both of which are available from BassCliff's site. As he's always sharp on these kind of things, it caused some confusion. However, in light of that discrepancy and the seeming agreement between your system and the one on my machine, here's what we think should sort this out for you...

Currently your flasher is out of circuit and is the reason why there's no blinking... uh... well blinking, the last two mods below bring it back into circuit. Here's what needs to be done:

at the control box, connect:
                  1 - light blue/black -> black (connects handlebar switch left o/p to left signal pair) DONE
                  2 - light green/black -> light green (connects handlebar switch right o/p to right signal pair) DONE
                  3 - light blue -> brown/yellow (connects o/p of flahser to handle bar switch on wire used for cancel)

at the handlebar switch connect:
                  1 - brown/yellow -> orange (connects o/p of flasher to common of turn signal switch)

All those changes need to be done before you test anything but take note that I've never been into the handlebar switch so the orange I listed above is from the diagram. When done that should give you blinking turn signals for the duration you hold the switch in one direction or the other. When you let go, they should stop.

Assuming those changes get you to that point, the easiest way to complete the job is to change the existing momentary switch with a latching type from somewhere. When you do that, make sure you retain the connections as described above.

Another option would be to use some latching type relays and recreate the existing functionality in a (cheaper) replacement control box. I haven't looked at doing that but I will when time permits. The one I did recreates the self cancel feature but can also be full manual. Beauty is it plugs directly into the harness and works with the momentary switches so no mods required.

NOTE: DO NOT be tempted to splice the brown/yellow to the orange at the harness connector. The orange going to the handlebar switch also feeds constant 12v to the main light switch. If you connect the brown/yellow to the orange at the connector your main lights (headlamp and the like) will flash all the time. No avoiding it mate, have to open up that switch. A word of caution: I've never opened that particular one, but experience of others would suggest you are real careful watching for springs, minute contacts and assorted bits of plastic flying out across the room.

Post back and let us know how it goes. GOOD LUCK.
                  well , i stripped it apart today again and followed your instruction.. however when i connected the brown /yellow - orange , the fuse box started smodering , something wrong there ,,

so what i have done was i wnt to a local classic car spares dealer and purchaseed 2 X low wattage 2 pin flasher units , i have put a unit in between each flasher circuit and while i was in the switch i removed the spring which makes the switch flick back to the centre position .

i now have working flashers , i m still baffled as to why the info you gave me nearly set my bike on fire .

my knowledge of electrical systems is very limited .

al

Comment

Originally posted by bigal View Post
                    i m still baffled as to why the info you gave me nearly set my bike on fire .

al
                    I'm still baffled as to why the shop manual, the wiring diagram on Basscliffs site and what info is in the '79 owners manual are different.

BUT.... I'm glad your bike didn't burn up!

Comment

Glad you didn't wind up with a fire, you did connect the brown/yellow out of the harness to the orange going to the common of the switch ONLY - right? Not any orange wire going back to the harness or to the light switch.

In any case, it's good to hear you have a solution.
                      '82 GS1000SZ
                      '82 GS1100GL

Comment

cheers guys for all your effort and help .. i have turn signals now and im happy .
                        i ddecided to keep on the original turn signals . i may change them later ..

Comment

Well we tried but it seems you figured yourself out in the end. Good for you
                          '82 GS1000SZ
                          '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Big Al, where did you mount your two relays? I have a 79, 850, and I want to eliminate that damn control unit, but I am having an impossible time trying to figure out how to make the turn signals work with the existing turn signal switch. You apparently have done it, and I sure would like to know how you went about it. I figured out how to get the turn signals to come on solid when i push the switch left and right, but don't understand how to get the flashers hooked in.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Comment

Big Al, where did you mount your two relays? I have a 79, 850, and I want to eliminate that damn control unit, but I am having an impossible time trying to figure out how to make the turn signals work with the existing turn signal switch. You apparently have done it, and I sure would like to know how you went about it. I figured out how to get the turn signals to come on solid when i push the switch left and right, but don't understand how to get the flashers hooked in.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X