Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Clutch

Hi All,

We've had some good help from the forum already, so thanks to everyone.

I am putting together a post on the rebuild of the starter clutch on our 1984 GS1100GK. We found all three bolts sheared and a push pin and spring missing. So far, the rollers and the push pins and the starter gear boss all measure with very little wear and no visible flat spots.

Last night we found an orifice that came out of the stator cover when we pulled it off to show a friend what we are doing. (We're waiting for parts.) My suspicion is it fit into the machined part of the starter clutch where one hole goes through the sheet metal cover to the starter clutch machined part. But, there aren't any drawings I can find showing such a thing. Anybody recognize it? Three pics in all.

Thanks, Scot

here is the second picture.
    Scot

Comment

Here is the third picture.

Scot

Comment

On the "Crankcase Cover" fiche it's #3, and labelled "Jet, Oil Gallery", but why not put them all in one post?

Last edited by Steve; 12-21-2009, 02:11 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

All the oil jets I've seen are brass -- they look like (or are) carb jets.

Is that widget aluminum or steel?
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Hi and thanks.

Last question first, this is my first upload, so maybe I got something wrong, but when I uploaded the pic, the "acceptance" response was, "you have just uploaded the maximum of 1 pic." I could not add another pic, so I did each one separately. I'd like to know how to add the 3 at one time.

By the way, where do you access the micro-fische? I am using Sportland Motors from Urbana. That list # 3 as a part number only and no description.

Okay, the real questions? What is its purpose and where does it go?

It is made of steel, not brass.

One other concern I have regarding the starter clutch. On the stamped metal cover to the machined part, there always seems to be a hole going through to one, and only one, of the cavities that the push pin and spring fit into. What is the purpose of this hole? I have looked at starter clutches from other manufactureres and I haven't noticed this hole before, but on every picture I have found of the Suzuki GS xxxx engines, that hole is there. The push pin slips right through it and only that sheet metal cover keeps the push pin in...and it eventually gives way.

thanks, Scot

Comment

Here is another couple of photos. This hole is in all the photos of the Starter Clutch I have seen. Anyone know its purpose?

Scot

Comment

I don't remember seeing that hole on any of the starter clutches I've worked with .
                I could be wrong though. It happens
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Chef,

My fix for the hole was to weld it and also to weld the two other locations where the push pins could punch through the metal cover. Then filed the welds to balance. That is now done and we're waiting on parts to put it back together.

Farther down in my post is a "jet, oil gallery." It came out of the crankcase cover we think. Any idea where it belongs? Or its function?

Scot

Comment

Originally posted by Scot Thompson View Post
                    Thanks Chef,

My fix for the hole was to weld it and also to weld the two other locations where the push pins could punch through the metal cover. Then filed the welds to balance. That is now done and we're waiting on parts to put it back together.

Farther down in my post is a "jet, oil gallery." It came out of the crankcase cover we think. Any idea where it belongs? Or its function?

Scot
                    Need to talk to a shafty guy. I have no idea where that goes. The only oil jets I have in that area are for the crank bearings.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X