No announcement yet.

GSX1100S Katana rim sizes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link Paul, the "About Us" section on their website has Mike Warners bio, sadly he passed away in November 2009. His family is still running Mike Warner Wheels from what I can make out from the rest of the website.
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

New Zealand SXZ kat
      I'm not sure which parts are still available new. Here's some SXZ part
      numbers that may be helpful (that's if you haven't already got them):

- Intake cam 12711-45500
      - Exhaust cam 12721-49201
      - Carbs (x4) starting from lefthand side: 13201-49320, 13202-49320,
      13203-49320, 13204-49320
      - Wheel rim, front: 55211-49000 Original fitment 1.85-19 before wider rim
      (2.15-19) supplied as homologated by NZACU for production racing purposes
      - Wheel rim, rear: 65311-49200 Original fitment 2.50-18 before wider rim
      (2.75-18) supplied as per above

Comment

with a pic

Comment

i also owed one of the J.C.W race bikes from Oze ex owned by warren walker, the previous owner of the helmet warehouse in yagoona in sydney, it croped up in new zealand as part odf a deccessed estate
          im on my 5th -6th sz kat and had one pop up

Comment

Hi Orangeback, great to here from an other Kat owner and one with some detailed knowledge on the wire wheeled Kat as well!!! Thanks for posting the wire wheel race rim sizes that is great info to have as well as the part numbers you have listed. I remember the JCW Bananas when they were racing here as well as so many other Kats in proddy racing. How is it you have owned so many Katanas over the years, and some of the specials as well? Thanks for the info and hope to hear more from you about all things Katana, cheers mate.
            Shin-Ken 1074
            1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by orangeback View Post
              i also owed one of the J.C.W race bikes from Oze ex owned by warren walker, the previous owner of the helmet warehouse in yagoona in sydney, it croped up in new zealand as part odf a deccessed estate
              im on my 5th -6th sz kat and had one pop up
              Like this one?

Comment

Hey Sharpy I see you have a copy of Two Wheels June 1982, looks like you can't take the Katana out of some riders, thankfully, cheers.
                Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

have that , mine had the wire wheels though.
                  there's a guy in north island in nz that worked and father owned the suzuki importation of suz back in the day, and was responsible for ordering all these bikes and has records for all the builds here, and think oze and SA, i have heard hes writing a book on them.
                  if you wish to check out 4 of my kats are on here http://www.bikepics.com/members/orangeback/

Comment

Hi Roger, so is the Banana now back to silver or are there two different Kats in the group of five pics? The modified 20 Kats imported to NZ for Proddy racing were only for NZ and arranged through the Suzi Dealer you mentioned. Oz and S.A. didn't get any of these for the racing teams, some may have escaped NZ later after their racing days were over.
                    Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM.
                    Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                      Hi Roger, so is the Banana now back to silver or are there two different Kats in the group of five pics? The modified 20 Kats imported to NZ for Proddy racing were only for NZ and arranged through the Suzi Dealer you mentioned. Oz and S.A. didn't get any of these for the racing teams, some may have escaped NZ later after their racing days were over.
                      yes the jcw bike had no historic value here in nz, so i mod it with the 1135 engine and motard rims laced to it , and then the guy i sold it to painted it back to silver. ( i like to custom some, but like standard ones too)
                      info i recived in email, as im no expert on this but like to be well informed on these, as id like an sxz or black piper (1980/81 GSX1100T or GSX1100X "Black Pipe" models (Wire Wheel Castrol 6-Hour models). if i ever get a chance.
                      All 20 GSX1100SXZ E27 specification bikes came to New Zealand. Of those 20, I ( someone else ) have tracked down 12 that are still in NZ. Australia received E24 spec GSX1100SXZ's - that model did not have the engine, carb and exhaust mods that the NZ E27 spec model received.
                      Only 20 E27 spec bikes ever built (all came to NZ). Not to be confused with Australian E24 spec bikes which only received a set of wire wheels as the only difference to the standard alloy wheeled GSX1100SZ.
                      Final muffler centre outlet hole is 33mm as compared with 28mm for standard GSX1100SZ (alloy wheel pedestrian model)

If you like send me a private email and ill put you in contact with the source of all this if you like , would not suprise me if he's already in here just watching things.

Comment

Hi Roger, thanks for the update on the E27, I'll PM you later. Did you see the NZ Black Piper on NZ E-bay last year? The blue version, it was looking a bit sad, but it was all there including the original chrome number 2 and 3 header with number 1 and 4 black header and muffler. Although there were more Black Pipers in total ( 12 and 20 I think?) for the two models they are very rare to see up for sale. The surviving genuine Pipers are now given a bit more respect by the owners and tend to be kept. In the past they sometimes had a hard life but lets face it, if any bike was made to be flogged day after day it is the GSX1100!!! Catch ya later.
                        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Working...
                        X