No announcement yet.

Starting a long dormant engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks P. I will be trying that saran thing this morning once the garage heats up. Its about -15 Celsius this morning.

There is something weird about the timing it does seem as that T mark has moved away from the pointer after about 5 minutes of cranking. The problem is I don't see how it can move. There is no adjustment built into that mechanism. It would kind of mean that the crank cog has slipped on the chain by one pin or so. I don't see how that could be.

I was also wondering about the spark timing thinking that the crank trigger has passed the pickup when the piston reaches TDC. On reading my M/C engine theory manual last night I re-learn that spark is produced as the piston is on its way up to TDC so the position of the trigger just leaving the pickup would be correct. So that's not it.

As I said last night, I'll take a look at the setup on the spare engine to see how things are set there but somehow I don't think it will tell me much of anything.

My buddy loaned me his compression tster but ( of course) its the wrong size after all so I need to go buy one today. I'm still thinking I have enough compression but I guess I need to know for sure.

This is not getting any easier.

Well I'll have more to report in a few hours.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

You may now all say in unison.....we told you so!

Well guys it is now official , this pig is never going to start. Not enough compression. Only 90 psi or so across the board.

Did the oil in the cylinder thing and pressure came up only slightly by a pound or two so I'm thinking the rings are not too bad and my issue is valves or more than likely the bloody head gasket that everyone told me not to reuse.

Boy somedays I hate being Scottish and naturally "Frugal".

Well I'm off to the local stealership to see if I can sort out a new one. I guess I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the weekend.

Now altogether, "We told you so!"

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

I would think 90 PSI would be enought to get it started. I would at least expect to hear some attempt at starting. What do you all think? Does that explain why there wasn't any fuel reaching the cylinders?

Comment

Plenty...

Thats plenty of compression, I have started long dormant engines with as little as thirty pounds. Compression drops as an engine sits, oil drops off cylinders, rings, and internal engine parts. I have started engines with low compression only to see it rise within limits after the first start.. Something else is going on, maybe something PO did, a fault in wiring, intake? I know you want that new bike, don't give up yet...

Comment

One thing we haven't considered is the exhaust. Is it possibly plugged with rats nest or something? Don't give up yet, I have to "hear" this thing run.

Comment

90 on a cold engine is probably in spec.
              I would love a pic of the cam timing and then the ignition timing.
              The only way the ignition timing could "move" is either the mechanical advance is sticking or the dowel on the end of the crank that the advance is gone or it's not sitting in there correctly. I've seen where the advance actually breaks into two parts and that would make timing impossible.
              Whatever the case 90 psi will start a motor.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Continued thanks fellas. Most of everything I've read indicates anything under 100 psi is just too low. All of my previous bikes have been 140+ with the GS being 170 or so as I recall and that baby sat for 7 years.

I'm not doubting what you're saying because real world trumps books everyday in my mind but it sure would put a strain on things I'm thinking.

It could be that the advancer is sticking as you say. I'll whip it off and clean and lube.

I guess that before I start ripping into it again, however, I'll play with it some more. And I'll try and take a pic or two.

Boy the funny is quickly going out of this.

cheers,
                Spyug
                Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Correct...

Old Chopper has another route, check the exhaust system. I had a bike with a clutch cutout switch that was shorted, it does not allow the engine to turn over unless clutch is pulled, but this one wouldn't let it fire, just turn over...

Comment

Ponderosa you lost me.What do you mean
                    Old Chopper has another route, check the exhaust system.
                    As far as the clutch cut out switch it is out of the picture. I have removed it from the harness and have the start switch wired straight to the solenoid. The bike does definitely fire as I've previously mentioned.

At this point, I'm still not certain that I have enough compression nor am I happy about the ignition timing something is weird there.

I'm going to fiddle again today but I suspect I will have to change that head gasket and get that compression up.

After that ????

I'll let you know how today goes.

cheers,
                    Spyug

Comment

Plugged

Had an old Honda once that would not fire, it had a mouse nest in the exhaust.. Hook a timing light to it, see where shes hitting.. Maybe someone put the ignition together wrong..
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2010, 12:17 PM.

Comment

90 psi is low but the bike should at least fire occasionally. Still sounds like a timing or spark issue of some sort. Regarding the head gasket, I'd replace it for sure along with the rings. The engine was stuck for hevens sake, I'd never reuse old rings on an engine like that.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks to all I now have her running.....don't ask me how, maybe lots of this

So as of now, I am ending this thread.

Cheers to all,

Spyug

Comment

Don't do it!!!!

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                            Thanks to all I now have her running.....don't ask me how, maybe lots of this

So as of now, I am ending this thread.

Cheers to all,

Spyug
                            You can't leave us hanging! Come on, tell us how you got her to fire!

Comment

Originally posted by Ponderosa View Post
                              You can't leave us hanging! Come on, tell us how you got her to fire!
                              This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Thanks..

Thanks Theo...

Comment

Working...
                                X