No announcement yet.

beautiful shine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wifes bike is looking GREAT, Steve !!!!

YES to the Aircraft stripper. The best.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      The wifes bike is looking GREAT, Steve !!!!
      Thanks.

Don't tell anybody, but I cheated.

Those pictures were taken 5 years ago, right after the bike was painted and polished.

This is how it looked 4 years later (just over a year ago):

Some day I'll have to clean it up and get some more decent pictures of it.

If I make it home long enough before riding season hits again, I have plans on changing some gaskets on her bike, so I will likely get the engine paint and polish touched up as well.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Thanks.
        Now you are just showing off....

Comment

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
          Now you are just showing off....
          If you've got it ... FLAUNT IT!

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I spent last winter detailing out my dad's bike for him.

Here's my dirty pig. In this photo, I hadn't really finished polishing yet, but was anxious to get some "during" photos.

A lot of elbow grease went into both bikes...I've have some more polishing left to do on mine, hopefully I remember to get some pictures of her before I start riding in 2010.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-05-2010, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
              every time I see your polish pictures I had a little seizure. WOW! You must have a good buffing wheel setup, my 6" bench grinder with bad bearings turned terrible polish jobs, replaced it with an 8" and still had some grain showing through. I found it easier to sand 200, 400, 600, #00 steel wool/WD40, #0000 steel wool/WD40, Mother's polish.
              The grain showing through is not so much a problem with the buffer, its the type of mop used and the grade of compound used (no sanding needed) that will eliminate any grain issue, and a few hours experience helps too. To help maintain consistant results when polishing alloys for the final finish it helps to use only one mop with the final polishing compound and don't use it for any other job, just final polishing. By not contaminating the mop with other types of polishing compound and using a fine cotton polish mop you will have that super mirror finish, its way past the stock look of course but if its bling you want thats the way to get it, cheers.
              Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM.
              Shin-Ken 1074
              1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
              1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Thanks.

Don't tell anybody, but I cheated.

Those pictures were taken 5 years ago, right after the bike was painted and polished.

This is how it looked 4 years later (just over a year ago):

Some day I'll have to clean it up and get some more decent pictures of it.

If I make it home long enough before riding season hits again, I have plans on changing some gaskets on her bike, so I will likely get the engine paint and polish touched up as well.

You have to ride them to enjoy 'em!

My pics were taken, well the blue one in '07 and the blk/mrn was last spring. I ended up doing a better job on my dad's bike, so I need to step mine up another notch or two this winter!
                Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

The fine art of spit shine. Ya gotta love it!

Some VERY NICE L's here. Much luv to da L

Comment

Originally posted by newGS300Lowner View Post
                    wow. thats some nice work steve!

i dont have a buffing wheel so i will be sticking to sand paper.

i like the fourth pic's clutch cover, the others seem almost chromish, and unlike some people, im not a fan of huge quantities of chrome (i love chrome exhausts though). that fourth picture looks like what i'll be aiming for
                    A Dremel and a Dremel polishing kit are a good investment to have in any garage!

For the final polishing I always do it by hand. I did go the steel wool route before final polishing and it definitely made a difference. I do not have a buffing wheel either, but it may very well be my next investment.

Comment

Working...
                    X