Shock Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock Bushings

If I can find a some 11" Dyna shocks will they fit directly on an '81 GS450?

How hard is it to find and replace the shock bushings if they aren't a direct fit?

TIA

Can't answer your questions but would warn you to make sure the tire doesn't crash into the fender when you hit a bump with 11" shocks.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Who said I'm running a fender?

Comment

If the shocks mount the same ie 2 eye's or eye to clevis they should fit. You can get bushings at a auto parts store they have them in a blister pack in the odd ball parts section made for car swing arms or such. You will have to shave 1 end sorta of cone shaped and with some lube it will slide in then just shave it flush with the eye. You will have to open up the hole with a drill bit the same size as the mounting stud. Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I changed the shocks on my CB 750 for a pair from Cycle X but because the sleeves on the ones sent were too small I just went with the bushing alone - was a tight fit as I recall. They were a little tore up (probably original).

Does one have to use a metal sleeve- the old bushings did not have one- but again they were a little worse for wear?

Comment

You don't technically need a metal sleeve but... I would highly recommend it. I have seen a lot of tore up bushings caused by the shocks not being tightened down enough, and the rubbers getting chewed up by the threads when the shocks bounce around the bolt.

If you are in a pinch for the sleeves, grab your tube cutter and cut a few chunks off of some 3/8" O.D. steel tube(I think it's 3/8", double check to be sure). I have even seen one bike with sleeves cut from aluminum arrow shafts, camo pattern and all.

Comment

The shock studs on a GS are 12mm, and IIRC, Harley shock studs are (possibly maybe according to my hazy memory) 1/2 inch, which comes out to 12.7mm.

Probably sort of close enough?

If you're putting 11" shocks on some sort of de-fendered GS monstrosity, then slightly sloppy shock bushings are the very least of your troubles.

Also, with a couple of sockets and a big vise, you can press out the bushings from your old shocks and maybe press them into the new shocks if the eyes are the same diameter. Or, as noted above, get some automotive shock bushings and tubing.
              Last edited by bwringer; 01-06-2010, 03:20 AM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                The shock studs on a GS are 12mm, and IIRC, Harley shock studs are (possibly maybe according to my hazy memory) 1/2 inch, which comes out to 12.7mm.
                You sir are right, IIRC 7/16" I.D. tube will just barely fit over the stud, but it would be best to use the proper sleeves if available.

Comment

I made some from a couple of hockey pucks but they were a little soft without the metal in the middle.I got the idea from someone on here. I ended up pressing the old ones out of the old shocks. They were a little bit more solid, with the metal bushing. Good luck and I kinda always wondered why nobody ever thought of selling just the bushings?

Comment

"If you're putting 11" shocks on some sort of de-fendered GS monstrosity, then slightly sloppy shock bushings are the very least of your troubles."

Really, how so? And what "troubles" would those be not already discussed above, besides offense of the aesthetic police.

Comment

bwringer is right, it's pretty easy to use the ones out of your old ones, and put them in the new ones. I just used my metal bushings out of my old ones and just had to slightly drill out the rubber in the new ones and the metal bushings slide right in and fit perfect on the bike. I got mine from mdi. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by Bonsai View Post
                        "If you're putting 11" shocks on some sort of de-fendered GS monstrosity, then slightly sloppy shock bushings are the very least of your troubles."

Really, how so? And what "troubles" would those be not already discussed above, besides offense of the aesthetic police.
                        Hi,

Shorter shocks = less ground clearance. That's OK as long as you don't plan on turning very much.

A friend of mine had to dump his bike because the rider in front of him had lowered his bike so much that he high-sided in a curve on a mountain road. My friend said, "It was either run over the guy or launch it over the cliff and jump off." Neither rider was too banged up, minor bone breakage and road rash, but it sure was inconvenient for everyone involved. The guy in front fell off and his bike hit the mountain, totaling it. My buddy got off his bike in time before it went tumbling down the mountain. It was repaired. Granted, there were many avoidable problems with the scenario, the first of which was lowering the bike so much that it couldn't make a turn.

Just be careful and know your limitations.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                        X