What's this in my airbox drain pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this in my airbox drain pipe

I am fitting the GS650E airbox (different to the 650G airbox) to my 550. I noticed when I removed the drain pipe from the bottom of the airbox that there was some light foam rubber in the part of the rubber pipe that fits onto the spigot coming out of the bottom of the airbox. It was very deteriorated and just fell apart on removal.

Is it normal to have this item in this drain tube or do you think someone has inserted it to slow down the draining of fuel from the airbox.

All comments welcome.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2010, 07:52 PM.

Probably just a chunk of old air filter (does your bike use an oiled foam or paper filter?) or sealing material from the base of a long-past filter.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

No idea what it is but I bet it's poisonous... all things that hide in dark places in OZ always seem to be

I'm with Brian on this one.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Probably just a chunk of old air filter (does your bike use an oiled foam or paper filter?) or sealing material from the base of a long-past filter.
        Brian, yes I do have the oiled foam filter. So could be an old piece of that has dropped into the airbox and got sucked into the drain pipe somehow.

Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Working...
        X