1979 gs850 parts question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs850 parts question

does anyone know where i can buy a new clutch and front brake lever for a 1979 gs 850? i am also looking for a new master cylinder for the front brakes. i already tried z1 and had no luck. thanks!

There are dozens of places to get OE parts. The search function is a wonderful thing. partshark.com is the cheapest place I've found.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Hi Mr. Mike Ski,

Didn't I give you a "mega-welcome"? There's quite a list of our favorite vendors in there. Sorry if I missed you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi Mr. Mike Ski,

Didn't I give you a "mega-welcome"? There's quite a list of our favorite vendors in there. Sorry if I missed you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Thanks BassCliff.......i went on one of the sites on your page to look for levers, and wound up purchasing a jacket. can't say that the wife is as happy as me but i think she will get over it. i got so excited at the money i saved at the "newenough" site that i forgot to buy my levers......lol thanks again!!!

Comment

What everyone is trying to say, in a roundabout way, is that the cheapest source for brake a clutch levers, and also the highest-quality products, is Suzuki. OEM levers are best and quite reasonably priced.

As far as the master cylinder, rebuilding your original with an OEM rebuild kit and reservoir would be your best bet. If they're available, the aftermarket kits are incomplete (usually no piston), lower-quality, and usually more expensive as well.
            Last edited by bwringer; 01-19-2010, 12:38 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              partshark.com is the cheapest place I've found.
              Have you checked out Cycle Parts Nation?

I did not hear about them in time to compare prices when I was putting "Freebie" back together, but I probably could have saved quite a bit. Most of my parts came from PartShark.

Comparing a few prices: PartShark (PS) and Cycle Parts Nation (CPN) (for my '81 850G)

......................PS .....CPN
              Clutch cable ..17.36 ...16.01
              Clutch lever ....7.80 .....7.16
              Brake lever ....10.33 ....9.50
              Fork seals .....10.85 ....10.01
              Tach cable ....15.53 ....14.32
              Airbox boots ....9.69 .....8.93

I don't remember if there was much difference in shipping costs when I compared for the next order, but it's certainly worth a try.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X