Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch lever sticks towards the end, can't utilize friction zone properly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch lever sticks towards the end, can't utilize friction zone properly.

The clutch lever operation is not smooth all the time.

It's been like this since I got the bike, but so far the cables were greased, outer springs replaced, and I adjusted the cable for proper function. If I release the clutch lever quickly, it is fine and comes out smoothly- clutch grabs and off I go but rather quickly. If I release it slowly, it tends to "stick" and kinda hang up towards being all the way out (clutch almost fully engaged) then i get a lot of slippage until i actually push it all the way out and it goes full on and i look like an idiot because the bike jolts forwards.

I did notice that if I hold my hand a certain way I can kinda avoid this, and that the lever itself appears to have a lot of "up and down" movement to it. I suspect that the lever itself is damaged, or hanging up on itself since everything else is in good working order.

If you have had to replace a lever for improper function, and or this sounds like it might be the proper fix for the situation.. please let me know so I can order one up. It is really annoying trying to get going on hills and not being able to utilize the friction zone at all because the lever sticks with the clutch half engaged and then pops all the way out a moment later.. I'm afraid one of these times I might stall in traffic and that would be bad.

Also, any good levers out there, or should I just bite it.. and order NOS?

Just because the cable has been lubed doesn't mean anything. It could be frayed inside its housing or gummed up with dirt and old lube. Pull it off the bike and soak it in some kerosene or diesel. Slide the cable back and forth in its housing to free it up then let the solvent drain out. Do this quite a few times to see if the cable moves more freely.

Comment

sounds like the clutch release mechanism is sticking or the clutch basket has been grooved with wear. remove all the clutch plates and see if there is any wear in the basket grooves that locate the plates
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Lubing the cable is good but nothing is as smooth as a new OE cable, especially one that is the proper length for the bars you are using. Regarding the lever, OE is not that expensive and I'd go that way as well if you decide your old lever needs replacing.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Could be one of several things, or a combination. Is the lever or the perch badly worn? Someone could have tightened up the pivot bolt too tight to try to fix a floppy lever. Could be the cable hanging up on the lever, look under there as you pull the lever, it it all moving properly? Is the round cable end bearing turning smoothly in it's hole in the lever?

The cable itself could be bad, an unlubed cable can wear a groove in the outer cable, it will pull smoothly with no load, (off the bike) but will gain a lot of friction when it is in use, when actually pulling the clutch. All the lube in the world won't help, it needs a new cable. Of course a kinked or poorly routed cable could do this too.

Or it could be something internal as Agemax posted, or something not quite right in the cable quadrant spiral pushrod thingy in the countershaft cover...

Take the cable and lever apart and look closely, you will find it.
          Last edited by tkent02; 01-24-2010, 01:56 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Alright, great advice everyone I will go out there when I get the chance and take things apart piece by piece until I figure out where its binding up. Many suggestions here I didn't even consider, I'm grateful for the forums to help me figure this stuff out.

Thank you all as usual!

I'll post back later or tomorrow when I figure out what was causing it, and post photos if I can get a camera.

Comment

I thought you were getting rid of the bike

Comment

The hole in the lever where the cable end rotates might be worn egg-shaped.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                  I thought you were getting rid of the bike
                  I was, but nobody was buying it even with the price down to a low price so I decided to just keep it. It's running well, just gotta find the clutch hangup and she'll be ready ride all over the place.

The suns shining.. I am tempted to ride cept I got bronchitis or walking pneumonia right now from riding in the freezing temps.. oops.

I've been bitten by the "ride every chance you get" bug.

Comment

So you finally got the carburetors straightened out ?

Comment

not necessarily, but the bike runs great .. i took it out for a couple hour ride and it was doing great.. parked it in friends driveway.. no leaking overflows.. been at my house on the sidewalk for days.. no gas dripping so it seems to be an isolated incident though i cant imagine why.. but anyway as long as it's not acting broken im not gonna try and fix it because its ridable, feels healthy, sounds healthy, and is getting about 35 mpg i could do better if i stopped twisting the throttle so much.. all is "ok" for the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X