Hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hesitation

Started er up this morning.Starts right up as usual.Never had a problem,I figure i'll take her around the block since it went up to 30 degrees today.I turn the throttle and lo and behold,hesitation.I figure she needs to warm up,and she does but it doesn't help.Just an annoying slow throttle response that was never there before.Its a stock '82 gs 750e with 16k miles,had the carbs off to put in a new starter,put it back together,didn't have this problem then.Help.

When is the last time it ran (well)?

How often do you start it up during the winter?

When you start it, how long do you let it run?

When you start it, do you ever take it for a ride?

Considering your "NY" location, I'm going to guess it's been a while since you rode it last. Was it winterized properly after the last ride?

To address the last three questions, let me just say that it's a general rule that if you are not going to go for a 20-30 minute ride, don't even start the bike. It won't get warm enough to burn off the condensation that will form and you will do more harm than good. Just put some stabilizer in the tank, keep the battery charged and wait for good weather.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds more like one or more of the airbox boots didn't get all the way back on the carbs.

These can be VERY hard to see, so get a light in there and I bet you'll find one of the inner boots folded over.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Check also that the choke cable isn't too tight, resulting in the choke plungers still being open when the choke knob is pushed closed...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

If she doesn't hesitate when you first start her up, but then begins to bog down after a minute or two, you may be starving one of the carbs. If a float bowl is not filling fast enough you'll get this reaction.

Comment

Hesitation

Once again,thanx steve and bwringer.Yeah, I probably don't ride it long enough to warm up,I put some stabilizer in the tank like I always do,I'm thinkin' maybe one of the carb boots is loose because I had a mother of a time gettin' them back on,although the tip about using the board(actually I used a pipe) did work well. I had this machine for 2 years now and its always been a pleasure to ride.People can't believe she's 28 years old and still gives me a thrilllll every time I ride her! My dream one day is to finally get that 80's Kat or GS 1100 to add to my stable.Then my life will be complete.Thanx again, I'll try to keep you guys updated.

Comment

Working...
            X