Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 not running right, carbs? Need help soon

FINAL UPDATE –
    The new battery solved it. Thanks for the education I always figured that if the battery was strong enough to start the bike in cool (around 40 degrees) weather… that it was in pretty good shape !

I did not know that when the bike is all warmed up, there is additional resistance in the electrical system (basically the coils ?) and that this requires even MORE juice from the battery to start the engine.

A few of you mentioned this possibility – and THANKS, you were right on !
    I realize ALL the other advice is important too… and would like to make sure that it’s up to par as well.

THANKS for the quick and very helpful info.

UPDATE - Thanks a ton for the awesome help so quick! I think that I have enough info now. I put in a new battery today, and it already seems better... however it rained most of the day... so I didn't get to really repeat past situations. But with everybody's help, I feel better about getting this completely sorted out. I will post back here later with whatever the final issue really was
    I appreciate it... Greg

Hi, I have a 1980 GS 850G - all stock, no rust, no accidents, never left outside, it's in nice shape and has 29000 miles on it. I've owned it 5 years (maybe a bit longer), and have been a regular at this site off and on since then (was addicted to this site years ago). I am NOT a mechanic (I've only done basic upkeep), but I've always liked riding motorcycles, and love my 850.

I had a guy rebuild the carbs, maybe 4 years ago, replaced most all the parts, in and around, the carbs at that time. The bike ran fine. However for the last couple years I have only been doing "maintenance rides". I take the 850 out for a 30 to 45 minute freeway ride, approx 3 times a month, year round. I feel this keeps the battery in shape, and all the fluids, and seals, and everything working pretty well. And I haven't had any problems with the bike.

NEW issue, that I would like some detailed info on soon please.

A month or so, I started riding my 850 a bit more, have been commuting to work (on dry days) and running errands on her. The new issue, is that several times recently, when I just ride to the store, do a little shopping, come out to ride home, SHE WON'T START. I've had to wait 30 minutes, and up to an hour one time. And then... she WILL start!

This problem may have been there for some time... but I never noticed it because there was always a week or two between starting it (go for my maintenance ride, and then shut it off). But now, if it's just parked a short while... and then you try to start it... no go! Until some time has passed (30 to 60 minutes) and then my 850 will work like normal.

I would love to hear as much info as possible as to all the different things that could be wrong. THANK YOU very much for your time and thoughts!

Greg M.
    Seattle, WA. USA
    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2010, 11:57 AM.

I'm thinking you have a short somewhere. Could be a bad ground. The other week mine did something similar (would start after a minute though). Traced the short to a connector in the headlight, it was just a bit loose. It's been sitting for some time, you might do yourself a favor and go through all the grounds and all the connectors and clean them up with contact cleaner and lube them with dieletric grease. Just my thoughts.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

A bit more information would be nice mate. For example, when you say she won't start, do you mean the engine is not even turning over or it is turning over and won't fire? As many details/observations on what she is/isn't doing as you can.
      It's smoke that make electronic components work.
      Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
      '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
      '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL
      '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
        A bit more information would be nice mate. For example, when you say she won't start, do you mean the engine is not even turning over or it is turning over and won't fire? As many details/observations on what she is/isn't doing as you can.
        Thanks for the replies!

And yes, right... I mean that my 850 is turning over but won't fire.

That's why I was guessing "carbs?" in my title.

Could it be a short somewhere, if it's turning over but won't fire?

Thanks for all ideas, Greg

Comment

Cleaning connections is an excellent idea -- you may be having a problem with low voltage at the coils. What kind of voltage are you getting at the coils? Is the bike charging OK? How's yer battery?

Also, how much choke does the bike normally need when cold? Are your air screws set correctly? Are you using too much choke when the bike is warm?
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by GregM. View Post
            I would love to hear as much info as possible as to all the different things that could be wrong.
            Could be wrong?

cranking speed to low.
            low/no voltage at the coil(s)
            bad connection(s)
            flaky kill switch
            bad coil(s)
            bad plug wire(s)
            fouled plug(s)
            bad spark plug caps
            spark plug gap to large
            no or intermittent signal from the signal generator
            bad ignitor
            carb passages blocked
            choke cable not actuating the choke linkage
            petcock issues
            crud in fuel tank
            valve clearance(s)to little
            blocked air filter

or something else I might be forgetting...

does it crank at a normal speed when this no start issue occurs?

does it have good spark across all four plug gaps when you are having the no start issue?

does the engine seem to run abnormally hot?

does putting it the petcock on prime change anything?

(sorry Brian, I was putting this together while you had posted your response)
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks, you "super veterans"... I remember enjoying all your great advice over the years (we had emails 3-4 years ago).

I'm starting with a new battery this morning... and then, going to a mechanic this afternoon (I think).

Always love to hear any other tips/suggestions/ideas... I will take this info... figure it out (with the mechanic)... and I'll follow up here later with what else I learn!

Thanks so much for your time and info

Comment

Does the bike just turn over very slow like the battery is almost gone? If so your problem is electrical. When the engine is hotter the resistance to current flow is increased which is why you only experience it after the bike has been running for a while. Battery/RR/Stator/Connections--mix and match.

It is an experience I had many times with my 1980 850G before discovering this website ten years ago.

P.S. Whether or not the new battery seems to solve your problem, be sure to clean those connections as recommended and to test the system via the Stator Papers located on the GSR homepage. You did not say how old the current battery is and given the long periods it sat idle over its life it is possible that is your only probem. But if it is not and there is some underlying issue that drained it, there will only be a short while before you have to replace it again.
                Last edited by dpep; 02-13-2010, 02:32 PM.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                  Does the bike just turn over very slow like the battery is almost gone? If so your problem is electrical. When the engine is hotter the resistance to current flow is increased which is why you only experience it after the bike has been running for a while. ""Great info THANKS I love this site!! "" Battery/RR/Stator/Connections--mix and match.

It is an experience I had many times with my 1980 850G before discovering this website ten years ago.

P.S. Whether or not the new battery seems to solve your problem, be sure to clean those connections as recommended and to test the system via the Stator Papers located on the GSR homepage. You did not say how old the current battery is and given the long periods it sat idle over its life it is possible that is your only probem. But if it is not and there is some underlying issue that drained it, there will only be a short while before you have to replace it again.
                  The battery is approx 5 years old... I put a new one in about the time I got the bike. (Probably due to advice I got at this site.) And... I think that my "maintenance rides" 3 times a month, approx 40 minutes on the freeway for each one, over all these years... has kept the battery in decent shape. For example... It started the bike 2 months ago in Dec while we were having consistent 30 to 40 degree weather.

Anyway... IT IS approx 5 years old... so, I think it's probably time for a new one.

And it would be AWESOME, if THAT is the only issue with this starting problem

Comment

Hi,

Has anyone mentioned a valve adjustment? When was the last time you checked the valve clearances? It might not be the root of your problem, but could aggravate it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

Has anyone mentioned a valve adjustment? When was the last time you checked the valve clearances? It might not be the root of your problem, but could aggravate it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      Right On!!
                      Again you guys are awesome!
                      And yes, "rustybronco" mentioned Valve clearance in his list.

I don't know mechanics enough to know why "too tight a valve clearance" could cause difficult starting to an already warm bike... But I believe you
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GregM. View Post
                        Right On!!
                        Again you guys are awesome!
                        And yes, "rustybronco" mentioned Valve clearance in his list.

I don't know mechanics enough to know why "too tight a valve clearance" could cause difficult starting to an already warm bike... But I believe you
                        Thanks

This was posted by Steve in another thread.

"The valves control how much air is admitted into the cylinders and when. If the clearance between the cam (the bumpy stick that opens the valves) and the valve/shim/bucket assembly is not correct, the efficiency of the engine can be greatly reduced. If the clearance is neglected long enough to be reduced to zero, the valves can actually be damaged because they are not closing long enough to transfer heat to the cylinder head. This procedure is important enough that Suzuki recommends that it be done every 4,000 miles."

Comment

Thanks "exbellicus" for the excellent tutorial
                          THAT makes sense... and I understand it a bit better now. I will make sure the valves get checked soon... and many of the other tips as well.

UPDATE - Thanks a ton for the awesome help so quick! I think that I have enough info now. I put in a new battery today, and it already seems better... however it rained most of the day... so I didn't get to really repeat past situations. But with everybody's help, I feel better about getting this completely sorted out. I will post back here later with whatever the final issue really was
                          I appreciate it... Greg
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2010, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I remember you
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Final Update –
                              The new battery solved it. Thanks for the education I always figured that if the battery was strong enough to start the bike in cool (around 40 degrees) weather… that it was in pretty good shape !

I did not know that when the bike is all warmed up, there is additional resistance in the electrical system (basically the coils ?) and that this requires even MORE juice from the battery to start the engine.

A few of you mentioned this possibility – and THANKS, you were right on !
                              I realize ALL the other advice is important too… and would like to make sure that it’s up to par as well.

THANKS for the quick and very helpful info.

Comment

Working...
                              X