Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GregM. View Post
    The new battery solved it.
    Doubtful. The new battery hid the problem is more likely.
    Your problems will return unless the electrical connections in the charging system are cleaned.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Greg

While I recommend you review the Stator Papers, some basic parts of it come to mind:

1. Uncover your battery, start your bike and use a VOM to see what your voltage at the battery terminals is at idle and at about 3500rpm. Report on that
      2. Check the wires coming from the stator (left rear top of motor). follow them up to connectors to wiring harness. Pull apart and clean. If they look burnt, trim them back and replace the connectors, or just solder them together
      3. Run a ground wire from the R/R (that finned thing) body directly to the negative terminal of the battery
      4. Check your voltages at the battery again
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

I agree. To be sure your new battery is going to continue to work properly, follow these links...

The Stator Papers

More On The Stator Papers

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

No amount of tuning can make the bike run properly if the valves are out of adjustment... #1 thing to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Greg

While I recommend you review the Stator Papers, some basic parts of it come to mind:

1. Uncover your battery, start your bike and use a VOM to see what your voltage at the battery terminals is at idle and at about 3500rpm. Report on that
            2. Check the wires coming from the stator (left rear top of motor). follow them up to connectors to wiring harness. Pull apart and clean. If they look burnt, trim them back and replace the connectors, or just solder them together
            3. Run a ground wire from the R/R (that finned thing) body directly to the negative terminal of the battery
            4. Check your voltages at the battery again
            Hey Big T,

It's been a few years, glad to see you're still here (I've been off however)... Are you still getting up here for the Seattle M/C Show each Nov?
            AND, thanks for your good advice. I'm selling my 850G to a friend of mine (who's also a neighbor) but I may still be here once in a while, and I hope he will get on here too. This site... and you guys... make owning one of these classic and great motorcylces, a much greater experience!!

And thanks Lynn and Cliff and Kent... I know this is valuable advice... and I hope that he and I will work on these things... since we live in the same area, it should be easy.

Comment

Yeah, I was at the IMS back in Dec, came up with a busload of people

I was wondering what happened to you

Come to the NW rally, even if you sell the 850
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
              X