Problem transmission..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem transmission..

So on my way home today, right as I entered my neighborhood (luckily) my transmission made a large grinding noise then what sounded as if something snapped, and then no more go.. My chain is really loose now but not broken.. and I have absolutely no tension on my clutch anymore.. So.. anyone have any guesses on what happen? And where do I start? How do I get into the tranny?

pull the sprocket cover first and have a look

Comment

The sprocket probably came off.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Is that a hard fix? And thats the cover on the left side right? Where the clutch cable comes in?

Comment

Depends on how much damage you did

Left side cover over the chain - remove it and take pics
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It was nothing with the sprocket.. Is it possible to access the whole tranny without removing the engine??

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGS View Post
              It was nothing with the sprocket.. Is it possible to access the whole tranny without removing the engine??
              No, you have to split the cases
              Now take off the clutch cover and have a look there. It's possible the nut for the clutch hub came off.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If the nut is still attached, things will go down hill from here, as in output shaft faiure. I'd bet on hub nut falling off.

Comment

Well guys, it was very simple really what happened.. The sprocket cover, which also has the clutch cable running through it, broke on the upper bolt, allowing too much free play in the clutch and there for no release for it.. The Snap I head was the sprocket cover breaking, the engine died because it ended up just dumping the clutch, and the chain just popped off. So I need a new sprocket cover and thats all. I'm very happy with that.

Just always remember to check the simple things first.. I had half the bike torn apart before I had the epiphany and realized what happened.

Anyone have a sprocket cover for a 78 GS750EC??

Comment

Well guys, it was very simple really what happened.. The sprocket cover, which also has the clutch cable running through it, broke on the upper bolt, allowing too much free play in the clutch and there for no release for it.. The Snap I head was the sprocket cover breaking, the engine died because it ended up just dumping the clutch, and the chain just popped off. So I need a new sprocket cover and thats all. I'm very happy with that.

Just always remember to check the simple things first.. I had half the bike torn apart before I had the epiphany and realized what happened.

and most likely a new chain and sprockets if it was loose enough to pop off then it needs to be replaced so you may as well do sprockets at the same time
                    if that chain broke then it would take out your cases and god knows what else
                    keeping your chain properly maintained and tensioned is safer for you and everyone else

Comment

Having a bad chain will cause the exact problem you are having. DO NOT fix it without replacing the chain. Check to see if the clutch push rod is bent and also replace the push rod seal...
                      Your lucky your not looking for a new engine
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2010, 02:10 AM.

Comment

I think so, I'll check tomorrow.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well guys, I got a new cover and it fixed my clutch problem, but I still have no forward movement.. So with the transmission being shot, or at least unusable right now, I've decided i'm going to put it up for sale.. What would be a decent price for it? Engine runs and starts flawlessly, tires have decent thread, in i'd say a 7/10 overall condition besides the transmission.. I'll get pics asap, but just trying to get an idea now..

Comment

i'm about 100% sure you don't have a bad transmission.
                            you can't break those bikes with a hammer.
                            sell it if you want but those transmissions don't give up the ghost even with a turbo added.
                            if the worm gear on the new sprocket cover is adjusted wrong(to much pre-load)...
                            the bike will not pull its self.

Comment

Pictures and or more details??

Comment

Working...
                              X