Fork oil level on GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil level on GK

First of all, I'll apologize for NOT having a manual yet for my GK.

Anyway, I'm going to be installing Progressive fork springs this weekend. I have some experience with it since my 750 has already had this done. I looked at Cliff's site which has the Owners Manual which doesn't mention fork oil levels. I suppose I need to track down a Service Manual at some point.

Would one of the GK owners please look it up and let me know. I'm guessing 140mm but, with the added weight of the fairing, I want to be sure. Thanks.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Linky for Larry http://www.progressivesuspension.com...rings/3055.pdf

Here is the standard instruction info from Progressive noting the 140 mm dimension you mentioned. I would guess bumping the pre-load slighty for your bike. Maybe 1" of the spacer out of the tube before installation but I am not worthy of a GK. I kept two of mine even and one about 3/4" out of the tube which definately firmed it up but it is not too firm IMHO.

I have a service manual I can check tonight if you would like but I have gone with this formula and 15 wt oil.
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
      Linky for Larry http://www.progressivesuspension.com...rings/3055.pdf

Here is the standard instruction info from Progressive noting the 140 mm dimension you mentioned. I would guess bumping the pre-load slighty for your bike. Maybe 1" of the spacer out of the tube before installation but I am not worthy of a GK. I kept two of mine even and one about 3/4" out of the tube which definately firmed it up but it is not too firm IMHO.

I have a service manual I can check tonight if you would like but I have gone with this formula and 15 wt oil.
      Thanks Tim. You are worthy of a GK...you just don't have one.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Now that I think of it, one of my manuals covers the GK. I'll take a look tonight.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          Anyway, I'm going to be installing Progressive fork springs this weekend.
          I have a pair of Progressive springs for the 1100G that I sold last month. I never used them. I'm hoping they'll fit my GK. Could you give me the p/n from your springs?
          I'm also interested in your opinion of the difference in the suspension with the new springs.
          Thanks,
          Willie
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Don't think they will work, the GK has 38mm forks, G has 37mm.

What is the part number on the springs, I will take them if they are right for a GS1000E.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think it was 5 inches from the top when I did mine I used 15w oil. I took 1 of the stock spacers and cut it in half and that was the correct length, use a pipe cutter and reuse the stock washers. I also replaced the shocks with the cheap Chinese ones they sell at Whitney's, a little stiff without a load. When I filled it with oil I locked a tape measure at 5 inches and just sat it on top of the tube with the tape in the tube. then poured in the oil till it hit the hook on the tape.
              The old girl handles like a dream now, she will lean over and back up with ease and is very nimble. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                I have a pair of Progressive springs for the 1100G that I sold last month. I never used them. I'm hoping they'll fit my GK. Could you give me the p/n from your springs?
                I'm also interested in your opinion of the difference in the suspension with the new springs.
                Thanks,
                Willie
                The part number is 11-1129. The only ones on ebay don't show a GK as applicable, that I could find tonight anyway.....I'll link you to a set for the legendary RG500 Gamma, which happens to use the same spring.

I went out and got my springs out of the garage. There's a paper that lists the bikes these springs fit. It includes the GK's and the Gamma. So, I'm certain these are correct.

The difference in Progressive fork springs were like night and day on the 750. Much more stable at speed and smooth through the corners. Highly recommended as far as safety and comfort.
                Last edited by Larry D; 02-26-2010, 11:36 PM.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

The difference in Progressive fork springs were like night and day on the 750. Much more stable at speed and smooth through the corners. Highly recommended as far as safety and comfort.
                  Thanks Larry. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll contact Progressive and see if they'll swap mine for the right ones.
                  Willie
                  Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                  '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                  '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                  '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

.....I'll link you to a set for the legendary RG500 Gamma, which happens to use the same spring.

safety and comfort.
                    I also have an RG500 Gamma front suspension.

Question for GK lovers.. Does this look worth a punt do you think?
                    For sale My old Suzuki GS 1100, it is still in the container I took it with me from the Netherlands we put it running in the Container and now I don't have the ...

regards,

Comment

I got the fork springs installed with some nice fresh 15w fork oil. Forks and front wheel, with new Shinko Tour Master tire is installed back on the front axle. I'm going to install the rebuilt front calipers tomorrow. I have SS brakelines and bleeding to do also.

I cut the spacers to 1 3/4 in. I'll see how that feels once I get riding and change it, if need be.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by conrad View Post
                        I also have an RG500 Gamma front suspension.

Question for GK lovers.. Does this look worth a punt do you think?
                        For sale My old Suzuki GS 1100, it is still in the container I took it with me from the Netherlands we put it running in the Container and now I don't have the ...

regards,
                        First of all....we're going to need some more pics of that vehicle.

The bike you linked is an 1100L with aftermarket fairing and bags. Not a GK at all.

$515 is however a nice price for an 1100L.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

The bike you linked is an 1100L with aftermarket fairing and bags. Not a GK at all.

$515 is however a nice price for an 1100L.
                          ahh, couldn't quite make out the side decal. The hassle/money would be in the paperwork side likely. I'm tempted but I really shouldn't, and I won't in fact, but man, I've just always wanted a gs11, badly. PLus all that bodywork could make a nice raft or a coracle or something.

L is for lover, so GK is for tiger woods?

Comment

Very nice work Larry

You can start teaching me things when I need mine done.

Thats a nice 1100L, too bad its in NZ.

Comment

Sorry about your dog's forehead Conrad but he seems to have accepted it. Just kidding, actually I have always wanted a bull terrier.
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                              X