Adjusting the bike so my wife can ride.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting the bike so my wife can ride.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1981 GS750E for a fair price. Bike is immaculate. Problem is the bike is quite a bit too tall for my wife.

I realize I can slide the fork tubes up through the triple trees to lower the front end, but I'm having a hard time finding some lower rear suspension (in fact I'm not sure what stock height suspension is???).

If you have a suggestion on what manufacturers to check, or if you can point me to the lowest suspension available for my model, I would appreciate the help.

Most likely I would need to shave the seat down in addition to altering the front and rear suspension. I'm not sure how much all of this will really lower the bike in the end. It may be that this bike just is not for her, which is a shame because it's a very cool bike... but we'll find something sooner or later so no worries.

Anyway thanks for your help in advance.

Look for some rear shocks that are eye to clevis in the eleven inch range.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bryan, welcome to the fourm!

As far as lowering the bike, the things that you've mentioned will drop it about 2" (not counting the seat shave) and there are several shock setups that should drop the rear, as well. Basscliff will be along shortly and he will have a multitude of links to help out with the project.

Comment

The '80-'82 GS750E models had one of the taller/broader seats in the GS line. Unless your wife is at least 5'8" and has long legs for her height, it will be difficult to get the bike set up so that she feels comfortable straddling it.

As was mentioned, shorter rear shocks and sliding the front forks up a bit will help. Probably the biggest help will be in cutting down the seat and installing high density foam in place of the stock set up. Also, contouring the foam so that the edges are lower than the middle will help tremendously.

I used to have an '81 750E. I'm 5'9", and that bike had me on my toes when straddling it. It didn't bother me, in fact my 1000G has me doing the same deal, but that situation is kind of intimidating to a newer rider, or one who isn't the physically strongest person in the world.

Good luck.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I'm short and lowered my 850 enough that I'm almost flat footed (could still be if I worked at it). MDI has some shocks at 11 center to center, although you may have to redo the bushings(some come with different size bushings.) cutting seat can make quite a difference. Also you can shorten fork springs (couple nice articles about that in search.) terrylee

Comment

Unless your wife has a lot of riding experience, get her a lower bike.

That GS is a big sled and touching the ground may be the least of your worries

My wife used to ride the GPZ 550, even tho she can get both feet on the ground from any bike seat.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thank you all for responding.

She is a new rider, and given that she is 5'4" with a fairly short inseam, I agree it's going to be difficult to get this bike to feel comfortable.

It's probably a good idea to consider some other rides. Thanks for all of your opinions and suggestions.

Sooo... if anyone lives in the central Wisconsin area and you're looking for an excellent condition GS750E... check out Wausau Craigslist!

Comment

Buy the 750 if its imaculate.....
                Buy the wife a Honda Rebel.

Comment

How much riding experience does she have?

Flat footing is important to n00bs, but it's not essential once you have the skills.

But that bike would probably still be a pretty bad choice for someone 5'4" no matter how skilled they are.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

IMHO the GS 750 is too large and heavy for a beginner, especially someone who is short. Something in the 250-550cc range would be ideal. Your wife should sit on several bikes to see what fits her and what she is comfortable on. Its hard enough for a beginning rider to negotiate traffic,etc without having to wrestle with the bike. If she has never ridden before, I highly recommend the MSF riding course.

Comment

Yeah, I happen to agree... after much thought and pining over this I've decided to let this deal move on down the road. I'm going to call the owner, Larry, tomorrow and let him know I'm no longer interested.

It really is a shame. I'm looking for a bike for my wife -- her first bike no less -- so I'm looking in the $0-$2000 range. I'm looking for something she can tip over a few times and learn on with out too much loss on our end.

So I find an immaculate bike for a great price and it doesn't fit. Darn the luck.

When looking in this price range you don't expect to find a mint condition 2010 model bike... the best you can hope is to find a bike that the owner took great care of; someone that was meticulous and respectful of their property. I found that but can't take advantage of it.

Oh well... my time here at thegsresource.com will be short, but I do appreciate everyone's time and advice. Would have been a great community to be a part of.

Take care.

Comment

There are plenty of smaller, older GS's around. The 550's are plentiful. You may be able to even find a 250 or 450. Another bike to consider is the 80's vintage Kawasaki KZ440 or KZ550. Honda makes some nice small 250cc bikes that are ideal for a beginner. If you don't mind doing some wrenching, I don't see why you can't find a nice starter bike for $500-$1000. If you want a newer bike a ninja 250, nighthawk 250, honda rebel or virago 250 would be good choices. In the 500cc class, the Buell Blast,Kawasaki Vulcan, Suzuki GS500E or Yamaha Virago 535 comes to mind. Take your wife over to a used bike dealer and sit on some bikes.

Comment

Where are you at? I know where there is an 80 Honda CM200 for sale.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X