Is this engine oil ok to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this engine oil ok to use?

I have a 1985 GS450L. In my manual it says to use SAE 10w40, with an API rating of SE or SF. I had gone out to walmart and picked up some 10w40 Valvoline oil, that is SAE 10w40 but the API says SM/SL. I never noticed the API rating before, I had bought motorcycle oil from autozone last fill up. But after going through the manual this API thing kind of bothers me. Should I return the oil and get a SE SF API rating, or can i use the SM/SL? Thanks again in advance.

As lubrication technology advances the API ratings change. The SE/SF's are replaced by SF/SG and so on. The SM/SL is just the latest formula.

The most important thing is don't use an oil that says "Energy Conserving" in the circle on back of the bottle. That oil has anti-friction additives that could cause your clutch to slip. The 10W40 Valvoline should be OK to use.

Hope that helps,
    Buddy
    09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
    83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
    81 GS650G for the wife.
    82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
    I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
    If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
    Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Dcboys81 View Post
      I have a 1985 GS450L. In my manual it says to use SAE 10w40, with an API rating of SE or SF. I had gone out to walmart and picked up some 10w40 Valvoline oil, that is SAE 10w40 but the API says SM/SL. I never noticed the API rating before, I had bought motorcycle oil from autozone last fill up. But after going through the manual this API thing kind of bothers me. Should I return the oil and get a SE SF API rating, or can i use the SM/SL? Thanks again in advance.
      I think the letters appended to the viscosity are standards from different years.

there is a progression in which newere standard supercede their forerunners.

Comment

I'd take back that auto oil and get diesel oil - the typical 15W-40 is fine. It has more high pressure additives than auto oil and is perfectly appropriate for a motorcycle.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Its Valvoline Max Life, with synthetic Blend.

thats the stuff, if theres a problem with using this please let me know, and I will return it and head over to autozone and ask someone.

Comment

definitely take that back and get diesel oil like nessism said!

I learned this lesson the hard way It's no fun getting those "energy conserving" additives out of your clutch.

Comment

Your quickest assurance of suitability is to look at the API "donut" on the rear panel. I believe the top of the outer ring shows the viscosity. The center shows the grade. The bottom of the outer ring might show "Energy Conserving". If it does, DO NOT USE THAT OIL. I have not yet seen a 40w oil with that designation, but that does not mean that they don't exist.

As mentioned previously, unless you want to go to a bike shop and pay exhorbitant prices for "special motorcycle oil", your best bet is to get diesel oil. Go to your favorite auto parts store, look for Shell Rotella oil. There is a white jug of "regular" oil that is 15w-40, the gallon size is about $12. There is also a blue jug of "synthetic" oil that is 5w-40 for about $20. Either of them will work very nicely.

If your bottles of Valvoline Max Life do not have the "Energy Conserving" designation on the back, go ahead and use them for now, then switch to Rotella for the next change.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

if 15-40 is good, tractor supply used to sell it cheap by the gallon. i think it's rotella. an oil wholesaler friend of mine said he can't wholesale that oil cheaper than tractor supplies sells retail.

Comment

My local Walmart has the 2.5 gallon jug of Rotella 15w40 for $25.

Comment

Diesel oil, hmmmm might give that a try next time, instead of buying that rediculous cycle oil.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                      Diesel oil, hmmmm might give that a try next time, instead of buying that rediculous cycle oil.

Diesel has more detergent in it as well.
                      They used to laugh at me whenever I had to buy a litre of diesel oil at a service station on a long hard trip.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                        Cycle oil is "special" because it has additives that have been mandated out of service for cars. We need those additives (notably zinc) because the oil in our engines also lubes the transmission. The action of the gears in the transmission is not found in auto engines, so they get by without the zinc, that tends to foul the catalytic convertors that our bikes do not have. Diesel oils still have more zinc than car oils, but a little less than cycle oils. They also have some good detergents in there to keep all the gunk in suspension for the long oil change intervals found in diesel engines, and that's helpful in our bikes, too. Overall, it's a decent compromise.

Last edited by Steve; 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM.
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The Rotella works great, It has the extra extrem pressure additives that a deisel requires that are also beneficial to the gearbox

Comment

Just changed my oil getting ready for the riding season. I use Rotella 15w40....

Comment

energy conserving

i just read this, and went out and checked the oil, I have been using to top off my bike and it is the energy conserving oil, I guess i will change my oil. Hopefully it has not messed up my clutch.

Comment

Working...
                              X