shopping for new tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shopping for new tires

Finally I saved up some money for the new set of rubbers.
    I've been reading through some old posts and randomly decided I would like dunlops elite.

I've been trying to figure out what size I need and have read previous posts on it, but I don't get. I am confused with all the numbers.

If anyone has time for short explanation or some link that explains it I would apriciate it very much.

I ride 82 gs850g, with stock rims, and have no clue what I am looking for it.

Also, what is a good place to buy from. Only 2 motorcycle shops in my town so I am looking for something online.

If your 850 is a standard model, the rear wheel is a 17-incher. If it's an "L" model cruiser type, it's a 16-incher. Both bikes take the same size up front.

130/90-17 or 130/90-16 is the rear tire size. If you're looking for Dunlop K491's, it's MT90-17 or MT90-16, the alpha-numeric designation.

For the front, a 110/90-19 or MM90-19 is what fits. If you want a narrower tire, a 100/90-19 also works fine.

I buy my tires on eBay. I bid low and see if I get it. Many times I luck out and turn out to be the only bidder. Many other accessory houses offer good prices on new ones, if you don't want to go the auction route.
    MAW and Competition Accessories are companies I've ordered from in the past, with success.

Nick

Comment

Thanks Nick!

Comment

I checked what my curent tires say and its 130/19/17 and mm 90-19 61H.

They are not a matching pair, and although the front one seems ok, I dont know how old it is, so I'll change them both.

Here's what I am looking at:

For the front:
        K491 ELITE II FRONT MM90HB19 $63
        there is also
        K491 ELITE II FRONT MM90HB19 RWL
        not sure of the difference.

and for the rear:
        K491 ELITE II FRONT MM90HB19 $86
        There is also RWL version here.

How does this look. I would hate to order the wrong ones...

Thanks

Comment

RWL = Raised White Lettering

The standard tires have the typical black letters, the RWL ones have the lettering in white. No other difference in terms of performance, it is just a cosmetic thing.

Mark

Comment

I just got off a phone with a motorcycle tire shop 40 miles out of town. I called to check on prices of tires, and when I gave them the same numbers I posted above they said I still need somem ore numbers for them to know wich tires to get? wtf? so now I am afraid of ordering these, wondering if they will fit?

Comment

RWL means raised white lettering. H is the sustained speed maximum for that tire and I think an "H" is about rated for 120 mph (a guess really) There is also a "V" rated which is about 140 mph (another guess). The tire sizes I use on my 750 are "V" rated. The front is 110x90x19 Metzler ME33. The rear is 130x90x18 Metzler ME55
              (ME33 and ME55 are tire styles or types and 33 is a front tire, 55 is a rear tire)

The front and rear tires need to have different characteristics and you should not use two designed for front usage tires even though the sizes may be correct.

130 means the tire width is 130 mm. 90 means the height of the tire profile is 90% of its width. The last number, 18 is the diameter in inches of the rim the tire fits.

I believe your 850 would use the same tire sizes as does my 750. the difference being you stated you have a 17 inch rear rim. (actually, you said you had a 130/19/17 and there is no such tire) You would want a 130x90x17 on the rear.

All the tires you listed are front tires. Cant use any of them for the rear.

Earl

Originally posted by toolman
              I checked what my curent tires say and its 130/19/17 and mm 90-19 61H.

They are not a matching pair, and although the front one seems ok, I dont know how old it is, so I'll change them both.

Here's what I am looking at:

For the front:
              K491 ELITE II FRONT MM90HB19 $63
              there is also
              K491 ELITE II FRONT MM90HB19 RWL

and for the rear:
              K491 ELITE II FRONT MM90HB19 $86
              There is also RWL version here.

How does this look. I would hate to order the wrong ones...

Thanks
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Go to ronayers.com
                Take a look at their tires and pick what you want. Then post telling us which ones you like and we will take a look for you to make sure you are getting the right thing. I have ordered quite a lot from ronayers.com and they are good to deal with. I've been very happy with them.
                Take a look at the Metzlers too. They also have lots of Dunlops and almost anything else.

Earl

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ok, so how about these

DUNLOP 491 ELITE II MT90HB17 REAR Part Number: 31-4566
                  DUNLOP 491 ELITE II MM90HB19 FRONT Part Number: 31-4644

From ronayers?

Once again thank you all so much for helping me with this...

Comment

Ok, so how about these

DUNLOP 491 ELITE II MT90HB17 REAR Part Number: 31-4566
                    DUNLOP 491 ELITE II MM90HB19 FRONT Part Number: 31-4644

From ronayers?

Sounds good to me. I don't know about the part numbers, but the tire sizes are the correct ones.

Nick

Comment

Ok, I got it. Payed just under $170 with shipping and all.

Thanks again everyone, I can't wait to put them on and tell you results....

Comment

Sounds like this is your first time buying tires. Just a note: the new tires will have a yellow painted dot on the tire, this is the spot to align the valve stem to

Comment

When you get your new tires mounted. BE CERTAIN YOU HAVE SCRUBBED ALL THE MOLD RELEASE OFF OF THE TIRES. THEY WILL BE VERY SLIPPERY IF YOU DO NOT. SCRUB SCRUB SCRUB SCRUB.

Did I mention that you should clean the mold release off?

Earl :-)

Comment

I'll take off the wheels but I'll have the shop actualy put on the new ones.

How do i scrub them? water, soap and a brush? Will they change the coulor?

yeah this is my first time getting a tires. i had 2 bikes so far. This is the only one that ever ran, and I probably put 1000 miles on it. So I am very much a newb. Spend many months working on it though.

thanks for that protective film comment! Makes sence.

Comment

ok, that last post and this one is me TOOLMAN. i was jus using my brothers computer while he is fixing mine... sorry

Comment

Working...
                              X