No announcement yet.

80 GS1100E mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

This should of been the other pic in the last set. Better view from the rear than the stock tire. I won't be able to smoke the rear like I used to though.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
      http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage...to&PhotoID=810

This should of been the other pic in the last set. Better view from the rear than the stock tire. I won't be able to smoke the rear like I used to though.
      Well you better fit a turbo then eh?

Really cool tread by the way, can't wait to see the finished article.

Comment

Well you better fit a turbo then eh?

Really cool tread by the way, can't wait to see the finished article.
        Thanks! mmmmm - turboooo.

I building it for my son so I'll stay pretty conventional. If it was for me, I would try to get all the hp I could out of it. He's in his early 20's and still hasn't found out he's invincible yet - I have!

Comment

Steve,
          Great idea to use the centerstand mounts for the shock link. I need to take a close look at mine, should work for me as well. Thanks loads.

Comment

More pics.

The first one is of the centersand (now swingarm lever) mounts cleaned up. Notice that, if you want a lower ride all you have to do is rotate the mounts down towards the pivot lever hole. The old mounting holes will need to be enlarged to fit the correct bolt. I also plan on adding reinforcement in this area. The mounts could use another plate on each side for thickness and I think also some bracing on the bar that holds all of this.

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

I think I may be able to use the stock brake setup - at least the levers and actuators. This means that I will not need to relocate the footpegs. This is nice - I don't have to fabricate a mount for the header and I can use ther rear pegs also.

There is just enough clearance for the gsxr1100 actuator to pass between the swingarm and the frame. The modifications that need to be made here are - a new mount or modify the old one for the rear master cylinder and the threaded actuator rod needs to be cut short and an adjustor added near the master cylinder. This eliminates any nasty adjustments being made in hard to reach areas and (more importantly) this moves the adjusting nut above the swingarm so you won't have a clearance problem with it. Note - you must use the gsxr1100 master cyliner - it is much smaller than the gs1100 one so it actually fits.

The picture is not so good. The gsxr1100 master cylinder is not mounted properly and is sitting out of position slightly. The actuator rod should be positioned more towards the front of the bike. This will give it a bit more room. But it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

One more piece of information. I purchased a 2001 gsxr750 swingarm last night. I wanted to try it out before I made any changes permanent to the bike. It will be slow going until I get this other unit. I will determine the best approcach then and hopefully get back on track.

Comment

I've been busy getting the swingarm situation sorted out. I really like the way the 2001 GSXR 750 swingarm looked. A big plus is that it is about the same length as the original so the wheelbase stays about the same. The negatives are that I can't use the 95 wheels as the '01 axle is much larger in diameter. So I bid on, and purchased an '01 rear wheel - fits perfect! The next problem with using the '01 swingarm is the swingarm pivots. I took the swingarm to a machine shop today to take off 0.090" from both sides of the pivot. They are also welding together the bearing races and machining them down a bit so that I can use. I will have to post a pic of this and possibly some dimensions on paper as I cannot explain it adequately in text. It will be pretty pricey to do this >150 dollars because the races are hardened and at 80/hr. it doesn't take much. Oh well, at least tomorrow I can mount the swingarm and rear wheel. All told the swingarm cost $40 and the machine work $??? (tell you after I pay). This is still a lot less than the $600 or more for a custome one. It looks super trick too! Pics later.

Comment

As promised some pics of the bike with the 2001 gsxr750 swingarm. In these pics the swingarm has been machined to fit and the rear wheel is now secured with the axle. As you can see from the pics, I can still use the stock footpegs. This simplifies matters quite a bit. I have the rear shock roughly positioned using tie downs. I have the lower cases installed to check on the output shaft offset requirements. I will get some stock later next week to build the brackets for final positioning of the shock. After that the battery needs to be moved (there is room forward of the shock), and lots of detail work. The engine build is rapidly approaching.

Comment

wow 8O

Comment

WOW!! This is incredible. Very interested in how it turns out!

By the way why not just get a gsxr? looks like you might end up with one in the end. LOL

Comment

Swanny do you want to sell that 94 swingarm?

sexton7z

Comment

How are you going to line up the front and rear sprockets? Are you using one of the offset sprockets that the dragracers use?

Hap

Comment

Ok - a little late but here are some more pics.

First - Sextontz - the swingarm is on auction on ebay - it has maybe 3 days left.

Hap - yea, I used a 5/8" offset sprocket from Precision Metal Fab Racing. pmfronline.com It is a 530 - that helped also since it's a little narrower across the links than a 630, and I did not go with an o-ring chain which helps again. Even so, the frame had to be modified a bit so that there is adequate clearance. They pics do not show the relief well, but you can see where the frame was heated up. I'll post some detailed pics alter - after the powder coat - if anyone needs them. The chain now runs straight and true.

I hope the pics show how the top shock mount was fabricated. I used 1/4" plate and it took a bit of experimentation. I plan on adding a bit more reinforcement from the top of the mount to the frame. It should be plenty strong as it is though.

The battery will mount in the recess towards the front of the bike in the new shock mount.

The mount is tacked in and the bike is free standing now. No need for anything to keep the rear up.

I will be selling on ebay some parts in due time. Rear Koni's and a Yoshimura header are among them. Can't use the header anymore since it interferes with the center stand area - this is where the lower mount is. Anyway, hope the pics help. In this folder there is a pic of the GS before the mods.

Steve

Comment

OK, Steve, first, really sweet work you are doing.

I have the 81 model GS1100, have been redoing it forever..
                            You have now peeked my intrested in project #6, TY. :P

Peace,
                            Ron

Comment

Check www.gsx1100.com it shows arnouts motorbike and lots of technical info.
                              I used -89 750gsxr parts in my gsx, front end is simple fit if a little short...in back I also used the centerstand fixing holes with a tube welded in between the outer parts and the linkage went in the middle. I used the gsxr swingarm pivot bolt because it`s bigger and stronger but that meant machining the original holes away from the frame and putting new larger bushes to frame, I also have to grind away from inside sides of the frame so that the arm could fit between. For shocks upper mounting I welded a strong metalplate between the rails into what the shocks upper mounting plate bolts. -89gsxr has a adjustable upper mounting plate so you can adjust ride height, that`s a good one. I haven`t rode the bike yet, there`s so much little things yet to be done, but it looks good. Wheels and brakes are from the same `R, backwheel is Marvic-magnesium wheel. Tailpiece and saddle are from ZX9 Kawasaki and they fit quite right allthough I think I should use the original bodywork...

Comment

Sami - I've been to your web site before. Good looking bike.

Some questions.

What exhaust system is that? My 'old' 1100 used a Yoshi that required the removal of the center stand. Since I'm using the center stand area for the lower rear shock mount I can't use this exhaust any more. I also do not like any of the pipes offered from the manufacturers now - the drag pipes - they are too low. I was thinking of using a GSXR1100 pipe and fab a mount. I'm not sure if the head pipes will work though. I heard some where they do.

Do you have any pics of the top shock mount? My frame is off to the welder right now and will post pics of mine when I get it back.

Thanks in advance - Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X