Rear Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Suspension

Okay guys... I'm looking for some good rear suspension bits for my 1980 gs550e. I'm a pretty aggressive rider and routinely hit the coverleafs pretty hard... I want a shock that will keep my rear end planted. Preferance is given to performance rather than comfort.

My 27 yr old suspension bits are ready for some news ones. So what are some good brands of shocks?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Hagon Ikon Progressive

Cost from highest to lowsest see above
    Hagon and Ikon are close in price

Front and rear ?
    What about tires, they're part of your suspension
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Hyperpro and Works also make nice stuff, if you have an excess of cash. And don't forget Ohlins, if you just won the lottery.

Progressives give you great bang for the buck, and are 1,000 times better than the stock shocks. I ride way fast around corners, and Progressives have served me very well.

The next step up would be Ikon or Works. Word is that they are a big step up from Progressives.

Don't forget to upgrade your forks (springs, fork oil, brace, possibly race tech cartridge emulators) and brakes (modern pads, stainless lines) while you're at it.

And yeah, tires are a wee bit important, too...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

ZRX1100 or 1200 shocks. They're an inch and a half longer so they will help speed up the steering. They can be found for $150-200 used. They have adjustable damping, both compression and rebound. The change going from the stock stocks to the ZRX dampers is just like going from the stock shock to the gsxr shock on the 83 GS550. Completely awesome.

They're the cheapest way to get adjustable shocks on a gen1 gs550.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

ZRX Shocks on ebay today. Anyone tried this on a 1100EZ ?
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Nerobro, it sounds like you have made the ZRX shock mod yourself. How did you handle the bottom mount? I'm thinking the easiest way to do it is to put a stud through the mounting hole on the swing arm.

The ZRX shock is already longer, which I like, but welding a clevis bracket on the swing arm while maintaining a similar mounting position seems like it would take a lot more work.

Whaddya think?

Comment

I am absolutely in love with my Ikons. I went with them over the progressives as I was feeling really good about my bike and had a little extra cash so I bought the better shocks.

The thing I didn't realize would be of great benefit is the one item that I use all the time now, ... the adjustable rebound setting! you can stiffen up the ride if you want to ride aggressively, and then when you want to cruise you take her down some on the rebound and she rides like a big old Caddy!

I got the springs suited to my weight and they are perfect. For me alone I use the lowest preload setting, for me with GF, or baggage the second setting, for me, GF and baggage I use the top setting. They worked out pretty much perfect, ... pays to call the factory to give them your details!

They were well worth the money in my opinion, they added so much enjoyment to the ride from the second I put them on.

Comment

I wouldn't try putting the ZRX shocks on anything that uses the clevis mounts. If your bike has standard mounts... Yeah, I'd reccomend them. They come with 110-120lb/in springs. And they have 10 preload settings....

In kawasaki's infinite wisdom, they chose different size mounts for the top and bottom of the of the shock. (that makes complete nonsence as the top and bottom see the same load...) The top mount is fractionally larger than the GS mount. The bottom one is signifigantly smaller.

I'd reccomend getting new bushings to fit the shocks to the bike. I won't admit to what I did to make them fit my bike. I will be getting urethane bushings made up for them. I"m also going to try contacting KYB and other shock mfg's about bushings. It's easier to buy than to make.

Bwinger: you forgot penske. :-)

Comment

I got pictures....

Last edited by Nerobro; 07-30-2006, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X