performance intake mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
    this might be a dumb question but if i have to up my fuel jets to compensate for the amount of air going into the bike it would mean theres more power being produced right?
    Not necessarily... The larger jets just correct the A/F ratio to compensate for the increased air flow so you don't run lean.
    However, in most cases when fitting a less restrictive intake ( pod filters, largers carbs etc) you do gain some top end power as most airbox systems ( due to space restrictions ) don't allow the full designed pumping potential of the engine to be achieved.
    If the airbox can supply the engines full pumping capacity then you won't see any gains..

As for using pods on CV carbs.
    It's not the increased air that causes the problems but the separate intake pulses causing fluctuations on each individual diaphragm .
    CV's prefer a still air supply so creating a singular higher flowing smooth air supply from a modified airbox that acts evenly across the carb bank is the way to go..
    Last edited by zed1015; 05-06-2022, 02:58 AM.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

so this is a pretty good idea?
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

so this is a pretty good idea?
        Yes! It's a common mod when the original airbox design and space allows..
        Last edited by zed1015; 05-06-2022, 03:38 AM.
        VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

sigpic

Comment

sorry never really seen it done before lol, just seen pods and stock airboxes mainly.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

sorry never really seen it done before lol, just seen pods and stock airboxes mainly.
            My 1100E came to me with a big single K&N filter on the front half of the airbox and the rear half removed. You can see the filter with the side panel removed, below:

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post

My 1100E came to me with a big single K&N filter on the front half of the airbox and the rear half removed. You can see the filter with the side panel removed, below:

Mark
              sweet! cant wait until mine is ready and tuned well!
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Not relevant, as I am running EFI but here is mine.

Used a cut down 1250 Bandit filter.

Comment

What were the performance gains like? Seems like it might run smoother than a aftermarket filter being it was designed for a large inline 4 motor
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

No measured performance comparison between running standard verses panel filter.
                    Mainly did it because i could and I wanted to eliminate any restrictions.
                    Running EFI mans I do not have to worry about air flow balance e.g. CV carbys.
                    I am at 1260 cc which is all well and good but it's performance is limited with standard valves/ 36mm throttle body/ standard (degreed) cams/ standard (cleaned up) intake exhaust ports.
                    it is my commuter/ project bike so outright performance was not a priority.

Comment

I would hate to be a glass 1/2 full guy and I wish you all the success with your project but I bet you'll have to sacrifice something in the power band. Idle, mid range, top end.....something wont be just right.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post

As for using pods on CV carbs.
                        It's not the increased air that causes the problems but the separate intake pulses causing fluctuations on each individual diaphragm .
                        CV's prefer a still air supply so creating a singular higher flowing smooth air supply from a modified airbox that acts evenly across the carb bank is the way to go..
                        Interesting. I had read somewhere where it was theorized that with C/V and pods, the intake pulse bounces off the the metal endcap of the typical pod and causes similar issues to what you mentioned. Very unscientific, but I removed the pods from my 1150, stuck the rubber trumpets from the original airbox on and went for a ride. It did seem smoother and more responsive, but I didn't get that into detail, plus it was a nice and cool night.
                        Of the three GS's I've owned, the best and smoothest runner was the 85 1150e with a 4 into 1 exhaust and stock intake with a K&N drop in original type replacement filter. I have been toying with the idea of going back to an airbox, but currently only have the front half on the shelf so this thread has been of interest.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post

Interesting. I had read somewhere where it was theorized that with C/V and pods, the intake pulse bounces off the the metal endcap of the typical pod and causes similar issues to what you mentioned..
                          Yes! That's correct but not just with CV's but any carbs.
                          The solid caps cause pressure waves that can affect fueling/lean spots at particular rpm's depending on the engine tune and a million other factors.
                          It's not something you would probably ever notice or cause issues on the road.
                          The foam UniFilter types with are the ones to use for best results especially for racing.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                            I would hate to be a glass 1/2 full guy and I wish you all the success with your project but I bet you'll have to sacrifice something in the power band. Idle, mid range, top end.....something wont be just right.
                            Well the good thing is we will get to find out lol, if anything I can just go back to the stock airbox since no hacking has been done and then possibly draw up another gameplan from there.

something that kinda sucks is one of the previous owners (I have a strong feeling it's the one on YouTube) had to cut open the airbox to fit the master cylinder on the bike and there's a hole in it now so I wrapped that area of the airbox in duct tape but I have a feeling it still might not perform aswell as an unmolested one
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

getting closer to the rebuild being done and well i think its a better idea to use the stock airbox instead of modifying and tuning an aftermarket intake from a brand new engine, and it came with a question that hopefully actually helps my bike run better, after having an aftermarket exhaust installed my bike would have a really bad low end and also a idle that wasnt that stable, well with the stock pilot jets and turning the mixture screws as much as you can to affect the mixture, it still would have issues in the low end to about 2500 and i would tend to ride the clutch to prevent a rough takeoff, when i would go the next size up on pilots and do the minimum turns out on the pilots it would run too rich and have even less power and foul the plugs, well with me increasing the size of my engine i was wondering if it could possibly be enough increase in air to go up a size on the pilot jets from stock and maybe get a better mix.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Are you open for opinions?? I've not heard of pilots having near that much affect on a bike. I never owned a GS"650", but on other Gs's I've always went up one size on pilots, even with stock exhaust & air box, or with bigger pistons, cams, 4 into 1 exhaust, as the GS's always seemed cold natured, Up one size makes them easier to start in cold weather & slightly quicker to be able to turn choke off. NEVER seen one size up pilots foul any plugs. or affect the running of the bike. If you've lost low end power, adjust your cam timing & make a restrictor for your exhaust. V&H in the past, shipped some of their pipes with restrictors that slid in the collector for exactly that reason... Like said, just my opinion.
                                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X