Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 GS750e Yoshimura Racking Exhaust - blocks oil drain plug - ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see another one close!, I don't know how to post pics since the last forum update, I had few taken beside the Lac Superieur, the ride around lac quenouille is not bad too.
    Marc
    AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
    1978 GS1000C X2
    1978 GS1000E X2
    1979 GS1000S
    1979 gs1000
    1983 gs400e

Comment

Finding an actual period correct Yosh pipe for my GS1000S took me in the direction I went with it. I was bummed about having to remove the center stand and to have to pull it off to change the oil and filter, but I got used to it. I also put exhaust studs in the head to replace having to use bolts to put it back together. Works so much better then taking a chance on screwing up the threads in the head. The look, and the sound of that pipe makes it all worth it, if not still a bit of a pain in the butt.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Sounds great! I deal with the same challenge on this Yoshi race pipe on my 750. Due to space constraints, I have to remove the exhaust as well - small price to pay for the performance and sound that comes with this setup.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialK View Post
          Sounds great! I deal with the same challenge on this Yoshi race pipe on my 750. Due to space constraints, I have to remove the exhaust as well - small price to pay for the performance and sound that comes with this setup.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hMekMzpYNhUNv4rg6
          Beautiful motorcycle! Same exhaust or similar as far as I can tell. While the Fumoto valve would not screw in, i did not give up on efforts to avoid exhaust removal for oil changes yet and if I do figure it out, I'll post. I ordered, received and installed a small (short) aftermarket plug made for a Hayabusa so M14 x 1.25 with an Allen (6 mm key) head. I put the pipes back on, this time after cleaning the threads with brake clean and air, for the 8 bolts in the head and per the advice above, installed them with anti seize for this season. Plug was hard to find... There is a guy in England who makes a similar sized drain plug, in titanium with both Allen key AND hex head bolt but he never responded. I hope to order that if my plan works. Undoing only the rear bolt, installing a ~1/2" spacer there, gives ~1/2" of play. I will look for and try to get an open ended wrench that ratchets for that bolt... I will cut some Allen keys, to make them shorter and see if it comes out without removing the exhaust using a series of specially cut Allen keys. If so, I'll order the Titanium drain plug to ensure I can loosen it with a closed box wrench and then the Allen keys. If so, I'll see if I can create a ratchet tool of sorts for the keys to. I have something that might work, made for screwdriver bits... That said, if we use the drain where the oil filter is located, how much oil comes out? after it empties from there, at filter removal, will we not get the rest of it? I plan to measure that at some point too. Lifting the rear of the bike might get it all no?... I have not given up on fabricating an L- shaped insert for underneath but need to be sure there is little to no risk of it breaking (the pan...++) of course. I'll post the sources and more here later. Thanks. Yeah I'm persistent at times. Justed checked for the titanium UK product.and got better search results including this one which has torx and hex... https://www.kurveygirl.com/products/...le-drive-kgo-3
          Attached Files
          Last edited by martin_montreal; 04-07-2023, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Just a thought martin, if you're still using bolts to mount the pipe to the head, replacing them with studs made that job much easier for me. Plus 1/2 the chance of twisting off one of those bolts. Luck to what you're looking for.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Just a thought martin, if you're still using bolts to mount the pipe to the head, replacing them with studs made that job much easier for me. Plus 1/2 the chance of twisting off one of those bolts. Luck to what you're looking for.
              Ah ... Thanks. I'll look into that! Never thought of that. Someone mentioned studs and I just thought it was odd. Didn't put 2 & 2 together. Yes very good idea.

Your plate is Ontario? My GS is in Tremblant but when done I'll leave it in Montreal and keep the VSTROM up there. I created and manage a FB Laurentians riding group fyi. PM me if you want.
              Last edited by martin_montreal; 04-07-2023, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X