No announcement yet.

Handlebars vibration: Possibles fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're not prone to falling out, that I've ever heard of.
    Last edited by rphillips; 05-22-2023, 12:47 PM.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

You see a lot of old suzukis that have the bar tip weights removed. I've always wondered if its a perverse aesthetic penchant a la no front fender or rear shock delete or just one fell out so the other got removed.

mine buzzes painfully at about 4-5k rpm. And to ride it would make a masochist think you mad.
      The majority of late 70s (and later) UJMs were mentioned in all the UK press tests as having the handlebar buzz in the 4-5K range, but mine never had bar weights. Not sure whether the in-bar weight of the heaters is helping or not, plus the presence of totally different bars and fixings from standard will skew that anyway. All I can say is that yes, there is some vibe patch, but it's not too difficult to vary speed a bit.

Conversely, the XJ's bar end weights have a tendency to loosen themselves and disappear. Without them, the bar vibes are really quite objectionable on a longer run, so I've taken to replacing them with lumps of steel or even just a stack of washers.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The Bar end weights on my '83 GS750ES are the stock, original ones. I've removed them to put on new grips, but once tightened up, they stay put.

Comment

Was there bar end weights on the GS650? Im not sure since I got it with aftermarket handlebars.

Quick update on where i am on my projects:
          1) Dynojet kit is installed and she purrs! Really satisfied with the results.
          2) Valve are adjusted but #4EX is making a bit of noise. Will have to open it again anyway since the gasket I got was of *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ty quality anyway, so its leaking around the valve plugs. Got a new gasket and some new plugs and will install it shortly.
          3)Still waiting on my friend for the carb synch.
          4) I will measure and check if the bar inserts from the Honda that we talked in this tread could fit. If they do. I think it would be a quick and easy fix without having to pour molten lead in my handlebars. Will keep everyone posted

Comment

Your first post stated you didn't want handlebar end weights. Al 7/8th inch handlebar weights will work, some are heavier than others. Before the weights, people used lead, done that many times by using lead. I thought you were caught up on some aesthetic thing. Why didn't you just go the bar end weights to begin with. Not a question. ;/

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
              Your first post stated you didn't want handlebar end weights. Al 7/8th inch handlebar weights will work, some are heavier than others. Before the weights, people used lead, done that many times by using lead. I thought you were caught up on some aesthetic thing. Why didn't you just go the bar end weights to begin with. Not a question. ;/
              Probably wasn't clear enough. Yes its an asthetic problem. I have no problem installing some bar end inserts, which you put the grip on top of it. What I dont want are bar en weight that add 2 inches of length to your handlebars. My handgrips are leather brown and I like them like that. I dont want to have to pierce them in order to fit a bar end weight at the end. If I put something on my bike it has to be completely inside the handlebars. no additionnal bar length

Comment

So these are inserted into the Bar? There are a lot of those around, most are for Indians or Harley's which use a 1" handlebar. The one below is for the bikes we ride.

Insert Bar Weights.jpg

Comment

Do you have some installed? How to they look (if you can see them at all). Ill have to measure my handlebar ID cuz im not sure what I have

Comment

If you have a Suzuki, these will fit. Measure the hole with a tape measure, that's close enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X