No announcement yet.

Save your stock airboxes!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the dyno numbers posted above, were the K&N's dialed in with the proper jets or was this a simple remove/replace and run dyno?

Comment

velocity stacks

gday 49er,you mention about the velocity stacks not working as well up top,ive been informed that the stack is more to speed up the airflow at lower throttle openings,than at full throttle opening, regards.

Comment

Originally posted by mac1170 View Post
        gday 49er,you mention about the velocity stacks not working as well up top,ive been informed that the stack is more to speed up the airflow at lower throttle openings,than at full throttle opening, regards.
        Gday Mac
        That's the way I believe they work too. They seem to have significant affect on torque in the lower midrange rpms. Also impact on the overall tuned length of the inlet tract. As a result, carbs with them removed have peak hp coming in at a higher rpm.
        Cheers
        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Love the photo on page one Guyver, thats one very tidy looking Kat, cheers.
          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 03-05-2008, 05:22 AM.
          Shin-Ken 1074
          1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
          1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe850 View Post
            If anyone is till reading this post.

Yeah, it's a total pain in the a$$ unless you get the stage 3 Dyno Jet kit. Once you're dialed in you'll ditch that restrictive stock box. Way, way more performance with KnN pods and Dyno Jet. Be prepared to pay though. The only bummer of having a 4 banger. Twice the price. I did the conversion with my GS850 and I'm still running stock pipes. There are 3 sets of jets. When I upgrade the pipes I'll put the 170's in.
            Yep, combined the pods with a stage 3 kit (165 jet) and it runs great. When I change the exhaust (next winter) I'll probably need to bump to the 170's. If it's fairly warm, I can walk outside not having started it in 3 days and it will immediately fire up with ZERO choke and runs great.

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver View Post

A few things about pods in the rain. First off, if it's raining you shouldn't be on a bike; it's dangerous. If you get caught on a bike in the rain then odds are you knew or should have known it was going to rain. I'm not talking misting, sprinkling or anything of the sort. Rain folks, the sky borne droplets of moisture that cause mass confusion here in Southern California like it's a first ever phenom and the next thing that's sure to happen is the heavens opening, angels singing and the second coming.

If you are in a torrential downpour of the biblical proportions that a previous poster must have encountered then yes, pods can get wet and suck moisture into the carbs. In that case please refer to my original two points about bikes and rain. I would think that wet pods would be the least of your worries if you're in that much rain. Typically in a seated position your legs cover the general area where the pods are nestled and not subject to much exposure to the elements other than air. A good puddle splash and they can still get wet though. In that event refer to point number one...you shouldn't be on a bike in the rain.

You should try living in Scotland....we use pods and it NEVER stops bloody raining. I use my bike in ice /snow/rain etc...yes maybe its dangerous..but in this sterile safety concious world...its FUN\\/
              My Gsx750 has stock airbox my gs1000s also ...but my gsxr11 engined gs1000 will have pods as they look good on the bike...and WILL work[-o<
              Hopefully
              Also I like a wee bit noise frae my engines..it makes it and me feel alive.
              And its easier to clean carbs with than trying to fit on the stock fn filter box too (what muppet designed that ....grr 9cue skinned knuckles again jokes ))

ps I aint slagging you..or calling you a fair weather rider...just some of us out of neccesity have too

pps remember when suzook sent these bikes out they were designed to work in a wide area of the world...so jetting was set for that. If you set them up properly to make most power etc then you would have to change jets daily...ie is it warm, cold, height above sea level , different grades of fuel etc etc as all these factors change your jetting...
              I think suzook got it nearly right when you think about it
              Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2008, 05:22 AM.

Comment

gday mate, i know what your talking aboot, born in leith,moved to australia, so i could take up my true calling, riding motorcycles all year round, regards.

Comment

If I ever got rid of the stock airboxes on these old bikes, I would dispossess generations of hapless rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by voivod View Post
                    You should try living in Scotland....we use pods and it NEVER stops bloody raining.
                    False. I lived in Scotland the last two summers. It stops raining quite often, at least it stops long enough for it to start again.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When I lived in Scotland it stopped raining when it was about to snow!

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post
                        When I lived in Scotland it stopped raining when it was about to snow!
                        I was only there April - October, it only snowed a wee bit.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

air box element

I just can't find the right material to cut my own filter. Want to be as close to the OEM as possible, I know its open cell polyurethane foam 65 PPI ( pores per sq inch) Uni makes a sheet for 15.00 If you can find where to order it. But why can't you just go to the home depot or some such store and find a sheet of it ???

Comment

Originally posted by bill72 View Post
                            Recently purchased a 1985 SuzukiGS700ES. The stock airbox had been replaced with uni-filters. Idling was terrible up and down, constantly stalling out. Well I found a stock airbox w/boots, clamps and filter for $30 on ebay from a guy Tim odidle store on ebay. Shipping was fast. Stock airbox is now on bike and bike is running 100% better. Also replaced rectifer. Still waiting on a seat cover and forks are leaking at valve. But other than that bike is running great. Riding everyday!
                            Just picked this little GS 700ES last weekend in San Antonio.....I have some carb issues but I got it run for a few minutes...still has stock airbox.

Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2008, 12:18 PM.

Comment

god I love these debates! The bikes that I've owned with pods came to me that way so I can't say I have much knowledge. I do know that when I put the race kit on my buell it went from felling like a scooter to a raging bull. Would have kept it on if the muffler hadn't exploded. Buell mounts them under the bike so when the can feel down from the header it got interesting. Hung up in a dip in the road and it pogoed the rear into the air.luckly fuel injection needs no jets, though I did need a new computer. No free ride for anyone. Did the kit in steps and it did run like utter crap until i had all the matching components Anyone know if there's a kit for the gs400? Already have pods and freer flowing mufflers, just ned the last piece of the equation.
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2008, 03:50 AM. Reason: can't spell and had a question

Comment

Call Mark at FactoryPro jet kits. His # is 415-491-5920. His kits are WAYYYY better than Dynojet! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                                X