Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand new Ohlins SU143 shocks for GS1000's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well, here's the deal guys... I can't get the Ohlins prices I was getting out of Works. They will give me 10%, but to do any better I have to become a dealer. That means I have to get a Tax ID etc, etc. On top of that I have to either recieve and reship the goods, or have them drop ship the goods which incurrs another cost. In fact, either of those options incurrs a cost for me.

So, my options are to offer the deal at retail minus 10%, or become a dealer and get a bigger discount which would depend on the amount of like orders. A like order is considered to be 10 Pro Racers, or 10 Billet Trackers rather than 10 GS1000 shocks with some as Pro Racers, and some as Billet Trackers. The discount varies, but I would probably be able to get an average of 30% off retail if the orders are big enough.

But, here's the good news... Unlike Ohlins, Works is located not far from me, and they will build your shocks to order. If you want an eyelet on the bottom, they'll do it. If you want your shocks longer or shorter, just say so and it shall be done. Overall, I liked the conversation I had with thier rep and think that we can do business, but I need to see what kind of response I am going to get before I do all the paperwork to become a dealer. I'm not opposed to the idea, and if I do become a dealer, you will have somebody that is already in your corner that can do more for you than just cut deals. I think that delivery times will be greatly reduced, and that tech support will be better.

So, what should we do? Go with the 10%, or get the dealer license and go whole hog?
      Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2008, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Price dependent, I'm in. I'm kinda counting that this will be bike build budget for 1-2 months gone on shocks, unless I successfully sell something.

I'm thinking dealership, but what kind of qty's are you thinking for that? I'm in no real rush for these, as I can run the originals until new ones come. They're not in bad shape, but I would like new ones.

What about the other brand? (the name eludes me at the moment) Any word on a deal from them?

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
          Price dependent, I'm in. I'm kinda counting that this will be bike build budget for 1-2 months gone on shocks, unless I successfully sell something.

I'm thinking dealership, but what kind of qty's are you thinking for that? I'm in no real rush for these, as I can run the originals until new ones come. They're not in bad shape, but I would like new ones.

What about the other brand? (the name eludes me at the moment) Any word on a deal from them?
          So far, no word back from Ikon.

As far as Works is concerned I'm looking at the low price leader being around $300 each based on an order of 10 or more, and the performance custom build shock like the Pro Racer coming in at around $650. I expect to sell more of the Tracker series shocks than the Pro Racer, but there are also other variants to sell between those two. But, keep in mind that I have to have a minimum of 10 per in order to get a significant enough discount or we might as well just go with the 10% offer. And, while $300 may sound like a lot for a basic shock, keep in mind that Works will continue to support it, the shock is rebuildable, and it will be available ordered to spec - in terms of spring and length. So, in that regard, you are buying a custom built basic shock made in the USA with support and a warranty. That is a much different scenario than what we see imported from China at half the price. It all comes back to the idea that you get what you pay for, and knowing what I know now, that Ohlins deals was almost too good to be true.

Having said that, I don't see being able to provide what I was with the Ohlins deal anymore no matter who I go with, and maybe that is why the sales staff go so ****ed when they got word of it. They really couldn't compete with the deals we were getting. In fact, I saw some of the very same shocks I sold sell on ebay for $750. I mean, if that was going to be the fair price set, then I should have bought them all up and ebayed them myself! So, when somebody called in to sales and told on us, it's no wonder they had a fit. If the dealers had got wind of it, they would have lost thier mind too. But, that's history and there's really nothing to be done about it anymore.

I think I'll start another thread later and see what kind of response I get. Another issue is that if I become a dealer, I'll need to sponsor the site in some way which, I would not have an issue with so I'll need to talk to the admin about it to make sure I'm not breaking any rules. Before it was just another member organizing a group buy, but if I become a dealer, then that might change things a bit.

Comment

I can deal with $300-400 no worries. Don't think I would use the full capabilities of the Pro Racer line. Rebuildable quality for a decent price is what I'm looking for. Thanks for taking the time and efforts to organize this. I've had much the same experiences with the gauge faces I've made, so I know some of the headaches.

Comment

You can count me in for the Pros. If im going to spend 400, i might as well spend 650 and get the top of the line, and be done with it. With the modifications I plan to make, Id rather have the headroom with the higher build type.

Now, I think being a dealer would be rather awesome, personally. You see how many more new members this site in particular gets every day. You'd be doing pretty well i think, even if you were only getting a few bucks of each set, say 10-20. None of our business what you make, as we'll buy them as long as the price is reasonable, im sure. And, as the dealer, you could set it up where keeping the buyer informed of WHEN exactly you'd be putting his order in to Works, (I only have 5 orders right now, I need 5 more...etc etc) so there was no confusion. I think its a good idea personally, and you seem organized enough to pull it off to a T. So you have my vote of confidence. I think, and I really cant speak for him, however, that Frank would have no problem with it, as long as it was obviously on the up and up, which it is, and stayed relatively cooperative on both sides, customer and dealer, which i can assume it will. So i say go for it!

Comment

There's a set of Ohlin SU143's on Ebay right now..........

Comment

bump......

Anything on this yet?

Comment

im in for some works if i can have them built to suit my needs as far as spring rate and length. doubt anyone else would follow me, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X