bouncy rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bouncy rear end

might catch some people attention. its a 77 gs750 when i go into a fairly hard turn and lean the back suspensions starts to bounce a little what would be up and down but is now diagonally because of the leaning. when riding straight up the shocks in the back feel good. no excess bouncing but as soon as it leans it starts to bounce. i just made the springs stiffer in the back to try to reduce this. they were on the middle setting.

i'm just wondering if this is kind of a normal situation, need to just replaced the rear springs and shocks, or could something else be amiss. i don't believe the rear shocks to be the problem because this only occurs when turning. the roads don't seem to be wavy either because its just the rear end moving. any help is appreciated even when its just replace the struts, or it happen thanks

seth

If the rear shocks are original I would say its time to replace. The suspensions of that era that came from the factory were not the best. However, it all depends what kind of mileage are on the shocks - they may still be workable.

Before you look at the shocks make sure the other chasis components are up to snuff.
    Tire pressures need to be where they should be, check to make sure your front forks have the proper amount of clean oil (its amazing what can come out of a fork), check swingarm bearings for wear, check triple clamp bearings for wear, as an add on - make sure your wheel bearings are not worn out.

Others will chime in but i would definitely check the above keeping in mind that the rear shocks, if original, will probably need attention.

Comment

No expert but I would guess

that bouncing means the spring is too stiff. Going into a hard turn I guess you could be loading the rear suspension more with the vector sum of your weight plus centrpital force. I would not assume there is less load in the turns.

I had by 81 GS750EX set at the stifffest setting and I could feel the residual bouncing of the suspension. I eased off to the 3rd setting but have not screwed around too much as I have another pair of halons to put on and have not bothered.

Having said that I would wait to hear what someone more experinced as to say.

It would not hurn to try and just reduce the spring preload even further and set the shock as stiff as possible. Dont know if your rebound is adjustable but if you can rotate the top of your stock shock clockwise looking down (i.e. to the #4 position) that is the stiffest shock rebound setting. Reading the users manual it suggests playing with the settings as a function of your weight, and riding style.

Posplayr

Comment

I definitely agree with all of the above. I would also add checking the steering head bearings to make sure they're torqued properly, the condition of the tires (a worn rear tire caused my 1100 to weave in the turns), if you have spokes take the wheels to the shop and have them trued (I had a weaving problem with an old Kawi H1 that was fixed by truing the wheels).

Comment

it only the tail moving. and it seems to be in a verticle plane with the bike. like just the rear suspension is compressing and rebounding. i wouldn't think tires or anything front end could cause it, and i don't undertand how a soft rear spring could cause it because the load and applied forces should remain fairly constant. its only in the center of the corner then as i am entering or exiting and changing the lean it stops.

But that is why i'm asking this question because i don't know. i am added preload by putting the spring to highest setting but have not had a chance to ride yet. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by litshoot View Post
            But that is why i'm asking this question because i don't know. i am added preload by putting the spring to highest setting but have not had a chance to ride yet. thank you
            What you have is a lack of rebound damping. Adding preload will only make the problem worse because the damping is already unable to control the motion and you will only be adding to the spring force. It is not caused by your spring at all, it is a damping issue. The only ways to eliminate the problem are to increase rebound if the shocks have that adjustment or rebuild/replace them if not.

Mark

Comment

It sounds like you have the original shocks. Replace them. They are dangerous junk. You cannot rebuild them or adjust them to improve things -- replace them before they kill you.

Progressive or Hagon shocks are a pretty standard upgrade, and cost around $200 a set. Worth every single penny.

Make sure the front suspension is up to snuff as well, with Progressive fork springs, the proper amount of preload, and fresh fork oil.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

suspension

Guys,
                If I may chime in Suzuki has got to be known for underspringing their bikes...and anyone riding a GS model NEEDS a new set of shock absorbers.
                Also they are notorious for underspringing their front ends.... A while back I was trying very hard to be able to ride my GS with other friends on newer bikes and it was getteing dangerous. So I set about to find what I could do to update my old buddy{GS850GN} As one fellow mentioned Progressive makes shocks and fork springs too. I had been involved in setting up other bikes and their fork springs seemed to work well, the same couldn't be said of their rears{at that time} so I opted for Koni 7610s they are getting hard to find now but man their ride quality is worth the extra cash for sure...I saw a thread about some Ohlins in another thread ....a group buy....GET in on it you will be suprised how well the GS's ride....
                So to mkae this long story shorter....
                1. progressive springs up front {renew the seals w/Suzi seals too, and depending on your weight try the 15 wt oil get two bottles.} OH and invest in a set of fork gaiters...keep bugs and rocks off your fork legs.
                2. new wheel bearings front, check steering bearings...play and if you are up to it pull them and regrease them.
                3. new rear shock ....your favorite.....try to avoid "bargain basement" ones from ebay
                4. more wheel bearings.... Suzi used a universal bearing on the older GS's
                and one of the aftermarket companies used to advertise them{Dennis Kirk} ..or a local bearing shop...The numbers may be on the bearings themselves...{they are on the micro fiche}
                5. Go riding you will experience something that is going to amaze you a comfortable ride that will behave in the corners....you may not be dragging knees but you will so appreciate the difference.....

Rodm850g

Comment

Well I have a new found appreciation

for quality rear shocks. I have been ridding my 81 GS750E since about middle of Dec when I got it. I just cleaned up the old rear shocks while I hunted for something different. I also swapped out the front springs for Progressives.

I don't know exactly what it was but cleaning the chrome of the rear springs did not do much for handling, but new fork oil and progressive springs up front dramatically improved the wobbliness the bike had at just 55 mph. So now I could go closer to 70-80 mph comfortably) and the bike handled much better (BTW I have Kenda 130/90-8 on back and 100/90-19 on front; they seem to have good dry tracking anyway I was trying to work some rubber of them today).

Any way I have been commuting back and forth to work primarily on surface /back streets;occasional errand run on the freeway. Have not felt real comfortable like the way the 83 GS11000E felt.

Any way, I had found some Hagon used shocks that I finally put on today. This is a definite improvement. Along with better high speed tracking (60-70 mph), the bike just handles bumpy roads better and doesn't wear you out as much with shuttering bottom outs (at my age it actually tires your posterior). I am going faster now but just feel much more stable. I'm looking forward to getting those Ohlins for the GS1100.

My advice pay what ever you can afford for those rear shocks and at least get something better than stock. I may eventually swap out the Hagons for some Ikons because I'm trying to keep my GS750 full of chrome and the Hagons just done sparkle as much,

Use Hagons installed today after a little paint.

Test ride to the top of Gabralter Road (1st time on stock shocks, 2nd time on the Hagons) See the ribbon on road below, switchbacks, twisties and a few roughspots where the road goes to single file. The view is from about 4000 ft AGL.

Posplayr
                  Last edited by posplayr; 03-03-2008, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Now you're just taunting us (show off)

Comment

Originally posted by rodm850g View Post
                      Koni 7610s they are getting hard to find now but man their ride quality is worth the extra cash for sure..
                      Konis are still being produced in Australia under the name Ikon by the ex-importer there.

Fitting & Adjustment Instructions for Ikon Stereodampers Type 7610 and 7614.For further Shock Absorber Specifications please see view

They still list the 7610. Expensive, but fully rebuildable, so it's a one-time layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                        Konis are still being produced in Australia under the name Ikon by the ex-importer there.

Fitting & Adjustment Instructions for Ikon Stereodampers Type 7610 and 7614.For further Shock Absorber Specifications please see view

They still list the 7610. Expensive, but fully rebuildable, so it's a one-time layout.
                        I have Ikon's on my 1100E, they are decent quality (better than Progressives, not as nice as Ohlins) and work well. I got a custom build done with about 3/4" extra length and picked heavier springs than standard. I missed on the springs a bit, they are pretty firm for my weight but otherwise I am quite happy with them. Service was excellent and they cranked out the custom set up in less than a week after my order.

Next time I will probably buy Ohlins (just looking for more adjustability than the Ikon's offer), but for the money the Ikon's are a good value and I would buy them again with no hesitation.

Mark

Comment

I kind like a little bounce in her rear end.

Comment

From my experience, suspension work is the best money spent. Try to get the best because you'll just love your GS even more. I have redone all my bikes suspension by Pettersson Pro Suspension and it's amazing how much better control you'll get and just enjoy the ride without worries and become a better rider.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post

Yes, when Koni stopped production a guy here bought the rights and blueprints and started replicating them. They are very good quality.

Having said that I am lucky enough to have a set of Marzocchis that are going on my 750. Marzocchis are the ants pants (IMHO).
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2008, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X