Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Cafe Suspension

Hey everyone!
    I'm currently building a 550 cafe racer that started life as a 550L.
    After putting about 2500 miles on it. (my first street bike)
    I realize, she needs some suspension upgrades. brakes would be nice too. :-D
    I've read in threads of people using gsxr forks and sometimes the rear swingarm as well, but these seem to be used on the bigger bikes i.e. gs1100.

Does anyone know if a set of gsxr forks would fit the 550? I'm not sure if the head bearings would be the same size as the larger gs. Perhaps the forks from a gsxr 600?

Thanks for any help guys.

Here's some pics..

Hey man nice bike!

Welcome to the L to E conversion club:-D

I did the same with my 550. There was another member that did a great job installing USD forks, ZXR shocks and an 1100 swing arm on his 550. maybe he will chime in. If not maybe someone can direct you to one of his older posts. It turned out really sweet.

Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming.

Byrd

Comment

If you know of Ray Stevens, you will know how to sing, We'll just how did you get that big ol motorcycle up there? And, how are you going to get it down?

Nice looking project and a place to project in.

Mr BassCliff will be along with the welcome.

Scott

Comment

Thanks alot guys.

My father, brother and myself built the garage last year behind my parent's house.

The box we came up with on our own, We just got tired of bending over to work on our bikes. Plus, we didn't want to spend the big money on a lift.
        I think the box cost about $100 to build with supplies from lowes. The coner posts are 4"x4" It' wide enough that 2 people can stand on the box with a bike. To get the bike on there we used a motorcycle truck ramp (foldable) Takes two people t put a bike on it, but it's worth not breaking your back all the time.
        We kept the center of it hollow so we can store parts, etc.
        If anyone wants plans I think I still have our basic drawings.
        Some more views:

Comment

Originally posted by bi0s View Post
          Thanks alot guys.

My father, brother and myself built the garage last year behind my parent's house.

The box we came up with on our own, We just got tired of bending over to work on our bikes. Plus, we didn't want to spend the big money on a lift.
          I think the box cost about $100 to build with supplies from lowes. The coner posts are 4"x4" It' wide enough that 2 people can stand on the box with a bike. To get the bike on there we used a motorcycle truck ramp (foldable) Takes two people t put a bike on it, but it's worth not breaking your back all the time.
          We kept the center of it hollow so we can store parts, etc.
          If anyone wants plans I think I still have our basic drawings.
          Some more views:

That my friend, is a pretty cool idea.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Totally just my opinion, not trying to deter you in any way from doing a gixxer or zixxer swap, but you'll probably get some pretty good results from simply swapping out to progressive springs in front, maybe even looking for a set of 37mm forks and a brace, and some good progressives or ohlins etc shocks in back. If you're building a cafe, vintage style, do you want it to handle like a vintage bike? or are you looking more to do a streetfighter-esque thing, attempting better handing via modern suspension? splitting hairs i know, but again in my opinion, a cafe uses vintage or period correct performance mods, while a streetfighter uses more modern equipment. *I* DID however put an 1100 swinger on my cafe project, for the sake of weight reduction. so, in reality, im splitting hairs with a dull blade...hehehe

Comment

I was sort of thinking much the same -- if you're truly after good handling, upgrade the suspension you have instead of grafting new bits onto an old frame.

Hagon, Progressive, Ikon, or Öhlins shocks (depending on your wallet), upgrade the fork springs, a fork brace, Racetech Gold Valves, upgrade the brakes with stainless lines and new Vesrah pads, replace the swingarm bearings. You might even graft on a GS fork from a later/larger model, which will have better dual brakes and stiffer 37mm fork tubes.

Most importantly, study and practice the art of riding. Speed in the twisties is 95% or more up to the rider, not the machine.

I realize modern suspension and brakes are pure magic, but you're grafting modern parts onto a vintage frame, and that process is a bit limited in the actual performance benefits available. It also looks very odd, in my personal opinion, but it's your bike.

If you're mainly doing it just for the mechanical challenge or because you think it looks neat, then never mind.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Gold Valves?? Don't ya mean cartridge emulators?? :-D The emulators and RaceTech straight rate springs stuffed in a set of bigger RSU 37mm GS forks is a good idea...but you would have to find a model that had forks of similar lentgh, or it would wonk up the look, though, huh?
                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

I say go for the GSXR swap. You already have a leading axle fork so you won't lose much if any ride height doing the swap. A set of polished wheels with low profiles would look great for what you want to accomplish. Clipons and GSXR gauges and the cafe look will be pretty complete. Wire wheels would be nice but you'll need to stick to GS components to pull it off without alot of trouble.

Comment

Working...
                  X