What pods are you running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What pods are you running?

I have been scouring over the old posts and from what I gathered there are two types of KN and then the Emgo pods. I have a stage three Dynojet kit and a 4-1 exhaust going on the 550, but before I get the pods, I just wanted to see what the Veterans are using.

So what are you using on your bike?

K&N if you want an easy install on the Dynojet... the others don't flow anywhere near as well.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by tcraft128 View Post
      I have been scouring over the old posts and from what I gathered there are two types of KN and then the Emgo pods. I have a stage three Dynojet kit and a 4-1 exhaust going on the 550, but before I get the pods, I just wanted to see what the Veterans are using.

So what are you using on your bike?
      With Stage 3 I would go K&N. You need to flow as much air as possible. They have built in velocity stacks. Not cheap but they'll last forever. Mine are about 20 years old now.

Comment

Which ones are you guys using? I knida thought that the KN were the way to go.

Billy where is the edge of Gods country?

Comment

Which ones are you guys using? I knida thought that the KN were the way to go.

Billy where is the edge of Gods country?
          I'm running mine with a set of Mikuni RS flatslides and they flow all the air they demand.

God's Country is the Hill Country NW of San Antonio. Some of the best backroads in the country.

Comment

No, I mean what type of KN are you using....the one single filter for two carbs or a single on each?

these?

Sorry I will try to be more specific.

Comment

It'd have to be the singles, wouldn't it? I'm no pod expert or anything, but wouldn't the doubles not fit between your carbs and the frame?

Comment

No, I mean what type of KN are you using....the one single filter for two carbs or a single on each?

these?

Sorry I will try to be more specific.
                I run four pods. As long as the Ebay ones fit they should be fine. That's at least $30 cheaper than I've seen individual pods for lately.

Comment

Well,they are the ones that KN calls for, but that is kinda what I am thinking too.

Also just found this
                  http://powerandplay.com/truck_accessories_parts/K_and_N_RC-2382/

75 bucks

Any part numbers for the individual pods, I like how they look better
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Well,they are the ones that KN calls for, but that is kinda what I am thinking too.
                    Your airbox probably takes up more space between the carbs and frame than those will. They are more low profile than the individual pods. If you can afford another $30 or so the individuals will likely flow a little better and those on Ebay may not have the built in velocity stacks.

Comment

I would sure appreciate a part number for the individuals if anyone has it, there are a lot of choices from KN, I just dont know what ones to get.

I am going to go with the 4 filters not the 2 that are connected.

Thanks for the help guys...

Comment

They are sized according to the opening on the carb. Just figure out what you want from this chart. http://www.knfilters.com/search/UnivOvalTap.aspx

Comment

To be honest, I think the 2 "double" pods instead of individuals would flow better. Although cylinders 1 and 2 and then cylinders 3 and 4 share a filter, only one is pulling air at a time which gives it a larger surface area to pull from. Just my .02

Comment

I didn't know that the individuals have built in velocity stacks.. And I agree with Liloaty on that as well I was thinking the same way too. I think a K and N in the air box would be the best way to do it if you opened the air box up a little for that reason each cylinder pulls separately and gets to use the entire filter to pull through plus the inertia of the air continues because each cylinder pulls right after the other instead of every other cylinder with the dual pods or 1/4 of a revolution with the individuals. BUT it is soo easy to remove the carbs with the pods rather than with the air box on. Anyway this was my thinking on the entire thing but it may work out a lot differently than it looks on paper..

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
                              I didn't know that the individuals have built in velocity stacks.. And I agree with Liloaty on that as well I was thinking the same way too. I think a K and N in the air box would be the best way to do it if you opened the air box up a little for that reason each cylinder pulls separately and gets to use the entire filter to pull through plus the inertia of the air continues because each cylinder pulls right after the other instead of every other cylinder with the dual pods or 1/4 of a revolution with the individuals. BUT it is soo easy to remove the carbs with the pods rather than with the air box on. Anyway this was my thinking on the entire thing but it may work out a lot differently than it looks on paper..
                              In theory it sounds nice that the airbox with a K&N would work better, but the air has a much further distance to travel, so to make the most power pods are the only way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X