Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L to streetfighter conversion questions

I have a 1985 GS550L.

I would like to replace the front end with something that can use modern brakes/tires and give me better handeling. I have read that the GSXR1100 90-98 and GSXR 750 91-95 front ends work. Do these actually bolt up with NO fabrication or is there something that needs to be cut/machined/welded/etc to make this work? Are there any other front ends that work with no fabrication?

I am not sure what is the best way to proceed on the rear end. I have heard that some rear shocks work off GSXRs or Katanas. Is this the best way to go or is there a Race Tech kit or something akin to that which might be easier to install?

I would like to be able to use modern tires. Are there any rear tires that can use modern tires with out any special mods (i.e. machining, cutting, welding, etc.) to make them work? If so what bikes/years can I source the parts from? What all parts would I need to make that work?

The end result I am looking for is better handeling, brakes, and the ability to use better tires. If there is a better way to go about this then I am open to sugestions. Other than, "get a new bike", of course.
    Thanks!

When ever you get into modifying, your opening a can of worms...

First thing, I personally am installing a set of wheels and front suspension off of a '94 Kat 750 on to my '86 550es. The forks bolt on, including the triple clamps (so I can use it's front wheel too). Anything newer and someone else is going to have to chime in.

The rear is a problem. Your swingarm won't accept a wider wheel. I personally grafted a aluminum arm off of a '84 700, and then the '94 Kat wheel rolled into that.

But then I needed a offset sprocket to get everything lined up (530, 16tooth, 10mm offset). I ordered that 3 weeks ago from Drive Systems, who just finally admitted that I'd be lucky to see it in a couple of months. I appreciated their honesty, but if it's in their catalog, they should be able to get it... So I just ordered a custom one (same deal only 15 tooth) from Advance Precision (888-347-7262) if all goes as planned, I'll see that one in about 2 weeks. I'll post what finally happens.

I suspect that your going to run into similiar problems.

The end result is that I recommend that you do not even touch your bike until you have all the parts in hand. That is "the best way to go". Especially considering that I started on my project in January of this year, here it is May, and I'm just finally getting a handle on things.

As far as the rear shock goes, my orginal one is still good, so I'm keeping that as is. I'll replace it maybe next winter, but for now I just want to ride it!

Check out the pictures on the third page: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=117641
    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2008, 10:21 PM.

Comment

one wonders guys what the difference is in sterring head geometry twixt the L and E ES models of this vintage

Im sure the tube diameter is the same

Comment

calvin, do you have any pics? Mine will be up shortly.

Comment

Have you already started? And I'm curious, why start with the cruiser model?...again, just curious.

Comment

Its the bike that I aquired, so I want to do what I can with it.

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
              Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2008, 03:50 PM.

Comment

nice blue

Looks good, your tank looks great. My pics will be up in a day or so with my wish list of small modifications. Wheres your seat?

Comment

ha seat is sittign on the step behind me in the picture.

Bike is pretty dirty actually needs a cleanup

Do you have a manual for this bike? There is one at repairmanualclub.com
                  I have modified mine to be searchable via Adobe Acrobat by doing OCR
                  Smaller file size and you get to more readily search.

If you have a location I can dump it to give me a shout.

It would be good to have some shots of the frame of the E model of this bike.

One of the guys here has some on Photobucket do a search for GS 550
                  Schweisshund I think is the one who put em there.

Comment

Thanks man. Send it to dymond.jones@unit2fitness.com

Gotta get my wife's camera so I can post pics. I got my bike for five hundred bucks and its in pretty awesome condition as it was kept mostly indoors.

Comment

cant email it guy it 76 MB

Comment

Working...
                      X