No announcement yet.

Getting doing on my 82gs1100gz chopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody put a 1168 kit in is it worth it? iv got 2 engines and nether really needs a rebuild. well i only got 1 good head the other needs a line hone.
    im looking at a streetable bike.
    is 150hp enoph?

Comment

Getting 150 hp at the rear wheel is going to cost you a fortune. The 1168 kit is for 4 valve GS 1100s not 2 valve. You'll have to have custom pistons made & your block bored & re-sleeved.
      The cylinder head will need a radical rework. Porting & polishing, big valves, shim under bucket adjusters,springs, head clearance cut for a radical lift cam. A rack of Mikuni Flat slide carbs will be needed to make that kind of power. Then the crank will need to be prepped to handle all that power. All new bearings, indexing & welding at the very least. Then the welded clutch basket, heavy duty plates & springs. The trans will need help too. Then you'll have to deal with the shaft drive. Late (82-84) 1100 shafties have a tendency to wear out the driven gear in the rear wheel (thats at stock power levels) Do you have the ~ $5000 to get this done right?
      If you really want a GS chopper with 150 hp at the rear wheel, look for a 1980 GS 1100L.
      It's a chopper style 16 valve chain drive. This bike is close to what you want stock. Performance parts are plentiful (150 hp should be a lot less expensive & more reliable) The rear tire can be much wider on a chain drive GS. See for yourself go to this site http://www.suzukicycles.org/All-Suzu...ki_models.html
      look up the 1980 GSX 1100L

Terry
      If you like, I can send you reprints of magazine articles detailing 2 valve GS builds by Yoshimura & Vance & Hines. PM me

Comment

those articals would be sweet.
        im suprized it would take that much for 150hp on a 100hp stock motor.
        but ya $5000 is to much to spend on it. ill probly just go with the cams pods, pipe and a little head and trany work
        Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2008, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Where did you get the idea that a stock GS1100G makes 100 hp at the rear wheel? The advertised HP rating for the 1100G is 98 hp. I don't have dyno results for an 1100G, but I do have them for a 1000G. Advertised hp 88.51. Rear wheel hp 66.2. This works out to .748 rwhp for every 1 advhp. That works out to 73.3 rwhp for the 1100G (Different Dynos will give different results) 150 rwhp represents ~100% power increase. That never comes cheap.
          Looks like you might be able to use the rear wheel from a 1200 Madura. They use the same driven gear as the 1100G. The final drive gear is slightly different. Check an online parts fiche to see for yourself.
          Finally, let me suggest you start with an L model instead of a G model. The L model is already "chopped" You'll have to do a lot less cutting & welding.

Terry

Comment

well 98 hp 2hp off.i didnt say at the rear wheel. i was thinking 150hp from motor not rear wheel. im not going to junk my gz for a L.
            and welding and cuttings no big deal. my brother is a pro welder.
            ill be good with what i get from the web cams, pods, pipes.
            well the stock bike is fast so if i got 100rwhp id be happy.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I have spoked wheels on my 78 and have been considering swapping to the mags. Mine are a 19 up front and 18 in back.

Comment

i think im going to change my plans.
                i think i want a comfortable daily driver bike so im going to keep it stock looking. but will do the motor. mild head work, cams, Dayna 2000, coils, and exhaust. maby pods as long as rain doesn't interferer with them.
                im going to paint the motor black with polished covers. custom paint.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2008, 01:49 AM.

Comment

i sent this to Paul Gast but was wondering what some of u on this forum think.
                  to Paul Gast
                  Hi i have a gs1100gz (shaft drive 8valve) that i am restoring. The bike will look stock but i want to do some thing to the motor. This bike will be driven alot and i want a reliable street bike.
                  here is a list of what I'm thinking off.
                  web cams- 110 or 118grind, recommendation?
                  Dyna 2000 ignition and coils, will be getting
                  mild head work, depending on price and if worth it
                  38mm Mikuni rs carbs, if u recommend them over the stock 34mm CV carbs
                  Vance & Hines 4 into 1 exhaust, will be getting
                  transmission under cutting, if recommended
                  pistons over bore, 1166 kit depending on price
                  pods if they alright in the rain
                  i want to paint the engine black and do it piece by piece.
                  engine assembly price
                  I have all oem gaskets
                  I have called and stopped in put have missed you both times.
                  I also work mights so calling in the morning is hard for me that's why I'm emailing this.
                  I'm wondering about prices to rebuild this motor. This is a shaft drive so I'm not sure how much power it will take.
                  How much power do you think this motor will make?
                  i plan to drop this motor off on the 16th. I'm not in a hery to have it done and don't plan on finishing this bike till winter. I have 2 motors. 1 is completely disassembled and 1 has the jugs off of it. Both were running before disassembled. Witch would u rather have?
                  i need this motor painted black. I can do this my self but will need to pick it up after the machine work is done and befor it is assembled. How much Would you charge to do it if you do it?
                  I'm thinking of a 1166cc kit but don't know if it would be worth it. i can get 1mm over oem pistons for $71 each.
                  I'm not Sure if i could go with a 110grind web cam or a 118. i want it to be reliable.
                  I don't know how much power to expect out of this motor and don't know if it would be worth it to under cut the transmission.
                  Are pods ok to use if i get caught in the rain?
                  I have the stock 34mm mikuni cv carbs but was thinking about the 38mm rs carbs.
                  i am going to use the Dyna 2000 ignition and Vance & Hines 4 into 1 exhaust and would like your recommendations and prices to build a strong reliable motor for my restoration
                  Thanks

Comment

droped off my head jugs cam cores at Fast By Gast today.
                    this is what were doing
                    web .395 110grind cams
                    complete head job porting, seats, racing valve job.
                    bore block to larges pistions i can find. i need to find them.
                    36mm Mikuni RS carbs
                    Dyna 2000 ignition and coils
                    undercut transmission
                    new studs
                    if i can find a 1166cc lit he said im looking at 175hp

I need to find some pistons for a 8v. im looking for the biggest i can put in there without resleaving.
                    dose any 1 know ware i can get some? im not looking for custom made but would like to get some 1166cc or 75mm.
                    i thought there was some 1 on here that had a 1166gl

Comment

I dont think so on the 175 hp out of an 8 valve motor. But good luck. Im doing similar mods to my GS1000 motor but am looking towards 100-110 horsies. Even if you could squeeze that much power out of it, I dont know if the shaft drive will hold up. I am rebuilding this GS1000 motor from scratch and Im already in the 2,000-2,500 $$ range.
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2008, 09:09 PM.

Comment

175hp from the motor not the rear wheel.
                        this motor was advertised as 98hp stock. is that a lie.
                        if doing all this is only good for 2 to 10hp they wouldn't even make these parts. and it wouldn't make sense.
                        I think Paul Gast knows what hes talking about.
                        any other professional engine builders on here?
                        How much can you get out of a 8v 1100 motor?
                        well when i get it dyno tuned ill post the slip
                        I'm building the motor my self and probably will have around $3000 into it when I'm done the total restoration will still be less then buying a new bike so i don't care.
                        the head work is $995
                        the rest of it is this same no matter what configuration u do

Comment

175HP is not possible out of that motor. Im sorry but its just not built for that kind of stresses, let alone the low pressure oil system would flounder destructively. I can believe MAYBE 120bhp. Besides, 175hp would rip the secondary drive, the shaft, the rear final drive and inner hub gear to SHREDS. THOSE parts, even if the motor was capable of that, ARE NOT going to withstand that type of torque and direct assault. They have a problem at times dealing with the power they have stock.

Comment

Originally posted by 82gs1100 View Post
                            i think im going to change my plans.
                            i think i want a comfortable daily driver bike so im going to keep it stock looking. but will do the motor. mild head work, cams, Dayna 2000, coils, and exhaust. maby pods as long as rain doesn't interferer with them.
                            im going to paint the motor black with polished covers. custom paint.
                            I'm glad you changed your mind about chopping a complete bike, Especially since you wanted a teardrop tank, and the L already has those tank (and frame) lines.

I do like chopped bikes, just hopefully it was done as a way to get a damaged or project basket case back on the road. I often wish the po of my bike hadn't cut the rear of the frame short, and never finished it, so I could just put it back together stock and easy. But hey it gave me an excuse to build a chopper. I fitted a bobtail fender, but just could not imagine a seat that would make it look right with the long creased G tank. I was also thinking about adopting an L or custom tank, but decided in the end it's meant for a cafe seat.

Comment

hey, sounds like you're going to end up with a serious gs
                              i'm looking forward to the dyno reading
                              from what i've read here, the guys who are after power usually use 4v motors and chain final drives but good on you making the most out of the bike you have
                              GS850GT

Comment

ok so your all saying that after all I'm doing I'm not going to get anything more out of the motor. 110hp is nothing out of it. in a bike you can feel 12 extra hp but its not enough to do most of this. the stock 16v were 112hp advertised.
                                is it the transmission on the shaftys that cant handel the power?
                                is the 16v motor case stronger?
                                from what iv herd these motors were over engineered and lasted forever.
                                how much should i expect from adding web 110grind .395" cams?
                                Paul Gast said i should get a 20% increase just from what hes doing to the head. hes also taking .020 off the head to bring the compression up.
                                if i can find 1166 or 3mm over pistons i would be adding 68cc that should give me something
                                I'm adding 36mm Mikuni RS carbs. i should get something from that.
                                pods and v&H exhaust. should get a little from that.
                                still i need to find some pistons
                                dose any 1 know what the biggest noncustom pistons are?
                                Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2008, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X