• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ask rapidray what power figure you can expect from all those mods
    i bet his guess figure is going to be damn near to what you end up getting
    GS850GT

Comment

The problem with what you want to do is that it is a SHAFT drive bike. The shaft & gears WON'T handle that kind of power. On an 8 valve 1100 it would take LARGE cams, valves, carbs, porting, RACE GAS & COMPRESSION to get that kind of horsepower. It IS possible but not practical. You are talking about a DRAG motor for the street. Realistically, it would be difficult to get 175 hp unless you had a "happy" dyno or a VERY fragile, high strung motor. To give you an idea what you are looking at, my small tire dragbike is 1395 cc, with a GSXR 750 head. It is 10.75 to 1 compression with 30/26 valves, STOCK GSXR 750 cams, & 40 mm Mikunis. It runs 9.30s & .40s at 141 at Fontana in 90 degree weather. It ran best at Sonoma which is GREAT air at sea level, 9.19 & 9.20s at 145 mph. This is a push button start motor that makes 141.97 hp at the rear wheel at 10,000 rpm. Add 18% to get close to crank hp. That's almost 170 hp but I have LOTS of airflow & too much carburetion right now. I am also 82 mil bore diameter, not 75. I would say 175 IS possible, but again, NOT practical. Ray.

Comment

thanks rapidray.
        how much power can i put on the shaft drive.
        i need to tell Paul befor he gives me a detonator for my shaft drive.
        thanks

Comment

well im going all out
          Final build plan

Cams: Web Cams #70-061 .395/.395
          Cam Sprockets: APE adjustable
          Cam Chain: HD
          Cam Chain Tensioner: APE manual
          Head: $995 Head Job
          Head Gasket: custom for bore
          Carbs: Mikuni 34mm RS
          Pods: APE for Mikuni RS
          Throttle: required push pull
          Head Studs: APE
          Head Stud Nuts: APE
          Main Studs: APE
          Block: Maximum safe bore
          Pistons: custom JE Pump gas compression
          Crank: Welded
          Clutch: APE extra plate
          Transmission: Undercut
          Ignition: Dyna 2000/ coils

iv decided on the paint to
          dark candy marbleized blue

ill just be careful starting out with it
          its all going to cost almost as much as a new bike but i can do most of the work my self.
          i cant find a bike like this
          i like the style.
          i like the handling.
          i don't like that the only new bikes i can get are crotch rockets or Harley wannabes.
          iv had a lot of projects iv never finished because everyone said it wasn't worth it. well im tired of giving up. im going to complete this project the way i want to. and nobody's going to tell me why bother.
          sure ill be broke till its finished but ill have something that i can say is mine. i built it.
          Thanks for all the help you guys. ill try to do the best i can to document what is being done.
          I hope there will be a WNY rally in 09 and i hope to be there.

Comment

good luck!
            keep the updates comming, please
            GS850GT

Comment

paint click on the tank the blue just like that but with burn orange veins

Comment

Do it up right and get it in a magazine!

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                  Do it up right and get it in a magazine!
                  hay that was your 1000 post
                  that would be cool but is there any mags that would show a 82shafty

Comment

Hi all. as to r/wheel a VX800 (or that's what its name is over herein UK) will fit straight in the GS850/1000/1100 swing arm, straight swap. And as for tuning, my GS1000G has a big bore 1148 using Kwak gpz1170 pistons, anderson 405 cams Ape cam sprockets, gas flowed head, welded crank, CR35mm carbs, Harris pipe, HD valve springs, under-bucket shims, HD cam chain, and lots more. Has 121HP at the back wheel and here's a pic.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2008, 05:04 PM. Reason: not a computer geek when trying to attach an image!

Comment

now, that is just MEAN!!!
                      Last edited by psyguy; 08-15-2008, 03:11 AM.
                      GS850GT

Comment

that wheel will bolt strait up to a 1100gz thats sweet ill be loking for 1.
                        and that will match a gsxr front end if i put 1 on
                        what year is that rim. i see the 90 and newer are differant. will the final drive bolt up to. ill check part numbers on the gears them selves.
                        thanks
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2008, 11:53 PM.

Comment

checked part numbers they use the same hub #64680-45113
                          sweet

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith View Post
                            Hi all. as to r/wheel a VX800 (or that's what its name is over herein UK) will fit straight in the GS850/1000/1100 swing arm, straight swap. And as for tuning, my GS1000G has a big bore 1148 using Kwak gpz1170 pistons, anderson 405 cams Ape cam sprockets, gas flowed head, welded crank, CR35mm carbs, Harris pipe, HD valve springs, under-bucket shims, HD cam chain, and lots more. Has 121HP at the back wheel and here's a pic.
                            for the pistons is the any modifacations needed to fit them.
                            in the gs1000 head can you run pump gas
                            are they these
                            1170cc 2.973" 75MM 10.25:1 K1172 $517.51
                            do they come with pins and rings
                            they would be $100 cheeper
                            thanks

Comment

The pistons are the 75mm diameter ones - I think the ones which you've said but couldn't be sure as I know also that there's 2 compression ratios offered - but you need the 18mm pin (little end) ones as some models of the GPZ were made with 17mm pins. If I remember, it's the last twin shock GPZ which you need.

One thing to point out is that if you do this piston conversion then you really should re-sleeve the barrels with bigger diameter sleeves rather than simply bore out the existing Suzuki sleeves/liners - i.e. machine out the actual block to take wider overall liners - as 75mm is running otherwise on very thin walls on the Suzi OE liners. Also, if you re-sleeve then you can in future convert up to the Kawasaki 1260cc pistons, I believe. If you give the dimensions to Wiseco then they can supply you with appropriate sleeves which you can then take to your friendly machinist to do the boring and fitting bit on the block without having to bore out the actual sleeves.
                              You may also need to bore out the crankcase halves to take the above new sleeves.
                              Gaskets would need thought as depends your personal preferences, compression, etc - a standard 1100 Wiseco big bore gasket fits the head, and I'm running a standard base gasket with bits cut out to fit the sleeves. You could run copper, but I found that it wasn't worth the continual weeping!

It runs fine over in the UK on unleaded (92 octane?) petrol/gas, but the "super unleaded" (95-98 octane?) does give it a nice treat - I don't bother with additives, though. It will also use leaded, of course.

The VX800 rear wheel over here had 5 spokes (in the modern style/pattern, just 5, not 3), but as I said fits straight in. The one which I now have on my bike in the pic is a Honda NTV650 ("Bros") and needs a bit more work to fit, but may be considered to look better, depending on what front wheel you have in and your personal taste.
                              If it's of any help, I've scanned and attached below an old photo of the bike which I had whilst it was wearing said 5-spoke wheel - the front was a GSX1100EFE 16 inch (now it's a Bandit 600 17").

Comment

Originally posted by 82gs1100 View Post
                                that wheel will bolt strait up to a 1100gz thats sweet ill be loking for 1.
                                and that will match a gsxr front end if i put 1 on
                                what year is that rim. i see the 90 and newer are differant. will the final drive bolt up to. ill check part numbers on the gears them selves.
                                thanks
                                I've got a VX in parts on my porch. I can't confirm that the wheel will fit a G, but if you want to take that risk, I'll sell you the wheel. PM me if you want it. It looks exactly like the one in the picture above.
                                Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2008, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X