Too Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Much?

Hey guys, I just re-assembled a GS1100 top end from the base gasket up, adjusted the valves, degreed the Web cams & charged $200.00 for the work. It took 4 hours. Does anyone think I over charged? He seemed in a rush to leave after we discussed it & he never left that way before. In my shop someone would have paid $400.00 for that work. Am I just overly concerned? I also don't like anyone to think I ripped them off. Ray.

That doesn't seem unreasonable. Parts and labor?

Comment

He had all the parts & had hurt it assembling it himself. He had taken it back apart & I just showed him how to do it correctly. I also showed him how to degree the cams. Ray.

Comment

too much?

$50 per hour. Not too much. My brother's auto repair shop charges $80, and that is in Okla. I would expect rates to be a bit higher in So. Cal.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          Hey guys, I just re-assembled a GS1100 top end from the base gasket up, adjusted the valves, degreed the Web cams & charged $200.00 for the work. It took 4 hours. Does anyone think I over charged? He seemed in a rush to leave after we discussed it & he never left that way before. In my shop someone would have paid $400.00 for that work. Am I just overly concerned? I also don't like anyone to think I ripped them off. Ray.
          mebby he was just in a hurry. mebby he was angry. time will tell. your time is your comodity to price.. if you feel your time is worth 5 dollars an hour, than it is. if you feel it's worth 50, then it is. it's up to the other person to decide if that is ok for them. personally, i wouldn't worry about it unless the person seems upset with you, or stops calling you for help. there are, in my opinion, some things that a case of beer and a couple pizzas just won't cover

Comment

Nope, $200 was cheap. If there was a problem, it wasn't the amount of money.

I've thought several times about starting a small cycle repair business on the side, but when money enters into the equation, things can get to be a big pain in the rear in a hurry. I'd rather help out grateful friends for free, on my own schedule.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Is this guy a friend or just somebody that looks to you for help when he gets himself into trouble? How much of the work did he do?

To be honest, if it's bothering you, perhaps discussing it with him is something you want to consider. What's it worth to you? I think only you can answer that question.

Comment

Isn't it customary to charge more to refix what was first fixed wrong?
                Last edited by tkent02; 06-29-2008, 01:48 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

For the work alone the price is right and on top of that he got to watch and received some instruction for future jobs.
                  $200.00 sounds cheap to me. I will be right over with a BIG box of parts and a frame.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

i think it sounds like you did him right

something else was probably bothering him, i wouldnt worry about it as he would have probably said something if it was a problem with you....

just my .02

Comment

Id have no problem charging someone 200 bucks for that plus the free lesson? C'mon man, he could have let some shmuck at a stealership screw his bike up for DOUBLE that. Dont sweat it Ray, ya done good.

Comment

Ray, sounds like you've answered your own question with the $200 verses $400 equation. That guy would have the same trouble in Pizza Hut as he would paying a fair price to enter a ball game ( I think that's what you call them ), just so happens that on this particular shift he knocked on your door! You can slash the cost of something by half out of kindness and some people still won't be happy till they've chipped the price a little more themselves.

The good news is that if he left in a hurry he probably won't come back in a hurry.

Let it go mate, it's not your doing,

Regards, EP

Comment

Working...
                        X