No announcement yet.

Wheel Swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"NOT true! The 86/87 stuff WILL bolt on! The rear wheel you will have to figure out spacers & the brake but the axle diameter is the same & I have done the rear wheel with all stock spacers!"

Rapidray, what do you mean "figure out the spacers-you later state you use the stock spacers? Figue out the brake? I've never done a wheel swap to another model/year bike. I want the simplest swap. Would the Katana (what size kat and any 90's model) swap be the easiest?
    Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
      Thank you for the link.
      Excellent info!
      It looks like I don't have much to be concerned with 'cause I'm not planning on going as wide, Most likely 150 or 160 on a spoked wheel is what I'm shooting for.
      Where are you getting a spoked wheel that will accept a 150 or 160??

Comment

Where Am I getting a spoker to accept 150/160?
        Not sure yet.

Well, I am hunting around and looking at different optionsor swaps from other bikes, in the end it may come down to buying a rim+ spokes in the desired size and lacing to a gs hub.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
          Ah yes, I should have qualified that with no GSXR wheels will fit... Good point.

Mark
          Oh dear i think you may be a tad confused there fella some gsx F (or katana to the heathens) wheels are exactly the same as some gsxr wheels i can see how the confusion may have come about as there was a fair bit of swaping around of widths by suzuki on the earlier stuff but thers no excuse for making such a bold statement untill you know the facts

Comment

Katman is right. If you go to a wider wheel you are going to have to go with an offset sprocket. I read up on all these swaps quite a bit and it looked like the best bang for you buck was getting a gs1100 swing arm and putting a GSXR 5.5in wheel on. You'll need the 5/8in offset sprocket and a 530 chain.

No 17in radial ready wheel is gonna fit on your front end. If you put a radial on the back, you'll want one on the front and that requires an entire front end swap. I went this route about 6 months ago - putting a bigger rear wheel on opens up a whole can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
              some gsx F (or katana to the heathens) wheels are exactly the same as some gsxr wheels
              HHHMMMMMMMmmmmm?

Which model Kats are the same a gixxer? All the kat wheels I have seen have very small axles where as the gixxers are all 20mm.

It would be good info to find which kat wheels have 20mm
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                HHHMMMMMMMmmmmm?

Which model Kats are the same a gixxer? All the kat wheels I have seen have very small axles where as the gixxers are all 20mm.

It would be good info to find which kat wheels have 20mm
                The later model 600 /750 f's use the same wheel as the bandits & early watercooled bikes in both 4.5 & 5.5 sizes 20mm spindle right up to the gsxr srads when they went to 28mm, things to watch for are differing hub widths & the 2 different sizes of sprocket carrier
                you need the brake hanger that goes with the wheel too in most cases as they vary from model to model depending on the hub width

sorry i cant be more precise than that mate ive had loads pass through my hands & they all seem to run into 1 in the end, hope it helps anyway

Comment

Originally posted by liloaty View Post
                  Katman is right. If you go to a wider wheel you are going to have to go with an offset sprocket. I read up on all these swaps quite a bit and it looked like the best bang for you buck was getting a gs1100 swing arm and putting a GSXR 5.5in wheel on. You'll need the 5/8in offset sprocket and a 530 chain.

No 17in radial ready wheel is gonna fit on your front end. If you put a radial on the back, you'll want one on the front and that requires an entire front end swap. I went this route about 6 months ago - putting a bigger rear wheel on opens up a whole can of worms.
                  Agreed. The simplest thing is to do wheel,forks,triple and brakes and at least need an 1100E swinger but that is not to suggest it is simple. The term "bolt-on" is used alot, but is really an overstatement meaning that part doesn't have to be modified but there are plenty that have to at least be matched if not modified (top triple, steering stops, offset counter sprocket, brake lines, bar risers, gages mounts....etc). Thre are guys with assess to a machine shop and have teh skill to make nearly anything work. Obvioulsy those guys can do anything.
                  Last edited by posplayr; 02-09-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X