Tarbash27's 1979 7/11 build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt

Looking good. You seem experienced at this (split cases).

The powdercoat does look good. U looking to get the project done this winter; ready for summer? (I know you said no budget or schedule )

Looking over the thread you have some real nice 8V cases.

Pos

Comment

Well I learn very fast and it comes very naturally to me. I split some dirtbikes before and I fix all kinds of stuff for fun from lawnmowers to mopeds. As for no budget and schedule. Lets just say, I'm leaving for Daytona Beach, FL february 28th on this bike and the frame is on the floor behind me in my bedroom!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
        Well I have gotton some stuff done since my last post.

I got some engine parts
        ape titanium valve spring retainers(shim under)
        kz keepers
        k&l 20 pc 13mm shim kit. Yes I paid full price.

Also bought a degree wheel, dial indicator/stand, and piston stop so I can degree the cams. Bought a valve spring remover kit. Its makes it so easy.

I also bought a front master cylinder rebuild kit. I had no leaks but thought what the heck. Man, you wouldn't believe the crud that came out of this thing, all rust and corosion. I think I will be buying a rear master kit also.

Forks are completely built, ready to install.

So I have the head together, will just have to to a final valve adjustment when complete. I had to make cutouts on the head around each valve journal so the cams wouldnt hit. Would a pain in the A$$ that was.

I took apart my front calipers (83 GS1100E square pad) to see if they need a rebuild, there absolutely perfect. So I will be repainting those and reassembling them.

I'm still waiting on my trans from Robinson so I can put this motor together

All my stuff is back from the powdercoaters. I put the wheels back together with new tubes.
        Here's some pictures. All semi flat black. I forgot pictures of the frame.

How much work is involved in prepping the forks for powder coating?

Comment

For the fork tubes, nothing really. I stripped the old paint myself with paint stripper the best I could and just gave them to the guy. I guess he just masked off the hole's so nothing got inside. Thats pretty much it.

Comment

I have been working on this bike alot. I finally got my transmission back from robinson industries. I had it backcut and bill(owner) just went over the whole thing to make sure I was not going to have any problems. Its all good. $250 for that.

I started putting the motor together, crank and trans are in and cases are sealed. Put the clutch in the other night. I also painted the cases gloss black but will keep the sidecovers polished.

I will end up using GS1100E front calipers and rotors all the way round. So I rebuilt all the 3 calipers and the front master cylinder, painted every thing black. Rear master is next.

Bought a new battery that I will have to make a new battery box for. I was using a ytz10s with my gs750 motor and it was ok. So I upgraded to a yuasa ytz14s to use with this motor because it has more cranking power. $140 for the battery.

continued on next post

Comment

So this morning I decided to put a rolling frame together. Totally rebuilt 82 GS1100E front end went on. All new seals, progressive springs, race tech emulators, anti dive block off. Swingarm went on, new bearings and shock bushings. I had the works performance shocks that I purchased last year. Wheels on with GS1100E rotors. Just one problem, rear axle was so stripped that I couldnt thread the nut on. So it has a temporary GS1000 rear axle in(too long) until I get an axle.

I hope to get the motor in by next weekend.

Comment

Wow! Bike is looking great! Keep up the good work.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Diggin' those black wheels, can't wait to see the black motor installed too.

Comment

looking great! How did you clean the motor in and out so well?
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Simple green, carburetor cleaner, brake clean, garden hose, scrub brushes. I did this in the bed of my pickup truck parked in the street.

Comment

Can I ask WHY with all this work, & an 1100 motor, did you not put an aluminum 1100 swingarm on it? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                          Can I ask WHY with all this work, & an 1100 motor, did you not put an aluminum 1100 swingarm on it? Ray.
                          Because thats going on the next project, I have one sitting in the basement.

Comment

Looks awesome.

Do you still need a rear axle?

I am only about an hour from Daytona. Maybe I could get up there to see your ride....

[quote=Tarbash 27;951405]So this morning I decided to put a rolling frame together. Totally rebuilt 82 GS1100E front end went on. All new seals, progressive springs, race tech emulators, anti dive block off. Swingarm went on, new bearings and shock bushings. I had the works performance shocks that I purchased last year. Wheels on with GS1100E rotors. Just one problem, rear axle was so stripped that I couldnt thread the nut on. So it has a temporary GS1000 rear axle in(too long) until I get an axle.
                            David
                            1998 Suzuki Bandit
                            1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                            1978 GS1000 - gone
                            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Awsome

If I only had a garage or basement. You've got me really motivated to get my project rolling. Keep it up and keep the pics coming!

Comment

Well I have dona ALOT of work since my last post. I didn't take any pictures yet because I have been so busy on this bike. My biggest concern right now is getting the bike done this week because I'm leaving for florida this coming saturday with it. Yeah, sounds crazy, but oh well.

The motor is in and it fired right up today. Man it runs awsome. I used a temporary gas tank and ran just a 4-1 no muffler. LOUD, and sounds great.

This past week I dialed in the cams, which was a PITA for a first timer. Took a while until I understood what I was doing. I have 80% of the wiring done, drive chain is on, but am waiting for a rivet tool from Z1. Also waiting on a clutch cable.

I really dont want to ramble on now about every detail because I am in the middle of priming the gas tank right now. I have alot of work to do still, but I'll get it done. I also have to get an inspection this week.

Pictures to come

Comment

Working...
                                X