1st Gen GSXR upgrade for GS1100ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Triple Clamp

OK here are the pics of the new converted triple clamp assembly. As described before, I cut the bar risers and Gauge/ignition switch mounts off of a stock ED triple and had them welded to a 1st gen GSXR triple. See the result below.

I just picked it up so have not done any work to it other than stick it into the steering stem. I plan to polish the welds a little so that the weld marks are not as noticeable and then paint with Por-15 hardnose paint.

You can see that the steering stops were simple pieces of square stock which also have a plug weld installed from the bottom for additional strength. The handlebar risers have the same.

All in all the spare triple total cost about $30 plus $100 in welding/fab cost along with some hand work cutting/filing and fitting the ED parts to fit the GSXR parts. But that is much cheaper than a new triple and I have retained stock look , ignition key and Guage mounts.

There is still some final fit to trim the square block steering stops and longer screws/spacers required to lower the ignition key (1/4") so the locking block contacts the lock tab welded to the upper part of the steering tube.

All in all I really like the way this is turning out.

Pos

P.S. a little tip if anyone is going to do this. Do not remove the lower bearing until you have done all of the adjustments to the steering stops then cut it off. I'm going to have to find enough rollers and the plastic cage to reinstall the lower bearing for fitting.

Last edited by posplayr; 01-17-2009, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Did a little cleanup

on the triple. Used 180 grit to sand the welds (by hand) to get rid of some of the slag. Reinstalled the lower roller bearings, did final finish filing on the stops for +/-40 degree steering. Rounded the stops to look more factory. Used Dremal cutter to remove the lower race. Media blasted for additonal cleaning.
      Ready to paint Hardnose black from Por -15.
      It fits real nice.

Pos

Comment

Got new offset spacer from Rob (Katman)

Here are pics of the Bandit swinger installed with a 4.5mm offset to allow space for the stock rear brake master.

thicker side after painting

thinner side

bandit chain guard takes a lot of trimming to fit.

Close up off difference in swinger bushings.

Here is a shot showing the overall clearance with a 170ZR60-18" rear tire. This is a Pirelli that seems about the same size as a 160ZR60-18".

Notice I'm trying to use the stock Bandit chain guard. Will need to move the tabs on the swinger to get a better fit. Looks like enough room I might even try a 17" wheel

Pos
        Last edited by posplayr; 11-03-2013, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I'm diggin' it. Good progress pics.

Comment

Look away. I get to ride it.
            Got room for three more Jim?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bill

more pictures

Last edited by posplayr; 11-03-2013, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Looks like thing are coming together nicely, Jim!
                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Simply Awesome.

Comment

Very cool Jim!!

Turned out really nice, probably the most challenging mod on these conversions..I'm still a little unsure of exactly how Im going to mount the clocks...you gonna polish or powder coat?

Comment

Hi was out last nite

Thanks for the comments.

Joe:
                      Yea I did not want to have to try and futz too much with guage and lock placement as well as keep the think looking stock. As far as colors, for now I'm going to do Por-15 hardnose black. It is a very hard paint with a nice smooth finish. I debated powder coating and still might but I dont want to have to pressout every bearing/bushing (like in swing arm).

My current swinger is gold, I might go black like you since those fully polished 3 spoke rims needs some contrast. Will do some photochopping before doing anything.

Jim

Comment

Any more progress, Jim?? Inquiring minds want to know!
                        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

A little slow

Mike,

I did do some moto work over the weekend, cleaning a parts ED, cleaning carbs and a new head. Also refitted the swing arm after having chain guard tabs welded. Right now looking to fit possibly a 180 rear tire.

Still have a bunch of parts coming in and the weather is a little cold windy to be spraying outside. So unless I do some powder coating things are going to be slow.

Working to streetfighter the 86 Slabbie at the same time.

Pos

Comment

Hi pos
                            A quick question & an observation, i notice you have no end caps on the swingarm & the spacers appear to be straight is because its a trial fit or do you intend to run it like that ?

if you are fitting the end caps you will need more spacers imo & it would have been easier to make the bearing spacers top hat shaped to hold the caps & prevent the swingarm floating

cheers tone

Comment

Tone

Boy I'm not sure?

Are you talking about the bushings that go into the swingarm to adapt the Bandit bolt to the GSXR/GS bolt (20mm v.s. 17mm)?

Or are you talking about something on the outside of the frame pivot points?

Or at the rear wheel axle?

I was not planning on anything else other than torquing it down.

Do splain.

Pos

Comment

Ah sorry if i didnt make myself clear mate i'll try again !

As your bushings in the swingarm pivot point appear to me at the moment, they are just straight along their length which will let the swingarm move slightly from side to side under cornering & acceleration forces, this could easily destroy your bearings & is dangerous imo

The original arm in your bike & the b12 arm you now have were originally clamped quite tightly between the frame pivot point & may have had dust caps over the end of the arm at this point, you need to replicate this to be safe

The easiest way to do this is with top hat shaped bushings which fit the bearings & the spindle but also step out just clear of the end of the arm & give the spacing you need from there right back to the frame

stock b12 bearing spacers are top hat shaped, so if you copy those but with the hole bored to suit your spindle & the brim of the hat (if you see what i mean ?) thick enough to give the required spacing you will be good to go

I hope this makes more sense to you mate
                                cheers tone
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2009, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X