No announcement yet.

1st Gen GSXR upgrade for GS1100ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry one more thing have you replaced the spacer between the swingarm bearings with one of the correct length that fits your spindle ?

I suspect you have already done this but for those that dont know this spacer has 2 uses ...
    #1 it prevents the bearings collapsing inwards, hence needing to be the correct length
    #2 it supports the spindle to prevent it from bending, hence needing to be a reasonably good fit dia wise

cheers tone

Comment

Tone

Thanks for the attention to detail, but if I had posted a picture of the bushings un installed you probably would have seen what you were looking for. Katman made the bushings and they are in a "top hat" form. The main difference between his standard bushings is that he normally puts a 6mm rim on both sides and I wanted my swinger offset to allow for the rear master plunger. So mine are 10.5mm and 2 mm brakes side and sprocket side respectively. I know 10.5+2=12.5 which is 0.5mm larger than 6+6=12mm, but we took up a little excess slope in between the pivots to increase the 2 mm rim up from 1.5mm. I really needed a 4.5 mm offset (6+4.5=10.5 rim size on brake side).

I have it mocked back up with a 180/55-17 rear wheel so I will take pics of the bushing later.

Pos

Comment

Thanks pos
        i hope you dont think i was sticking my nose in where it wasnt wanted mate i was just concerned for your safety

tone

Comment

Tone

Thats why I post ; to get input. Guys like you have got far more experience in this stuff than I do.

Thanks for your support of the site and my little project .

Pos

Comment

for anyone who may be tracking this. Here is a pic of what the b12 bushings look like.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Katman,

Nice diagram, I had to hog out a lot of rubber on item 9 to make it fit on an 1100ez. Does it fit without modification on the Katanas?

Comment

Here is pic a of the redcucer bushings installed inside the stock b12

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                  Katman,

Nice diagram, I had to hog out a lot of rubber on item 9 to make it fit on an 1100ez. Does it fit without modification on the Katanas?
                  Nope, lots of hoggin out.
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Yoshi Mania

OK I'm getting started back on the Gixxer conversion so that I'm ready for the Mt Shasta Ride at the end of Aug. Got several up grades planned along with the suspension. One of them is a new (to me but used) 4:2:1 SS Yoshimura header off of a 1991 GSXR 1100.

I posted about trying to get the clean here. The Bluing is a total PITA to get off. Like Reno Bruce said, if you rub forever it will come off. I think I need to rub longer .

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I was really having a Yoshifest last weekend. I was able to disassemble all of my Yoshi cans getting them ready for som Stainless Steel wool to replace all that messy fiberglass. Also after a few days of soaking, could not get the mid pipe off of the header. Finally took the Makita Grinder (diamond bladed saw) and split the pipe to remove it.

After a prelimianry trial fit to make sure there was not going to be a "big issue", I slotted all of the exhaust flanges. The GSXR heads have the same spacing as the GS, bolt spacing at the port is slightly narrower. Thanks to Ray for the idea, I just sliced open the bolt holes. These flanges are 1/4" thick Stainless so no worries about strength.

Ahh, but the I know, it might be better to just cut them off, but I can still do that, but I think this will work fine. SS flanges are $15 a peice so I'm saving $100 after install doing this.

So after finally being able to get the mid pipe off, and the flanges split I bolted the header up, put teh mid pipe back on. Here is what it will generally look like. I also just set on the NOS Yoshi can I just go off Ebay. Fit is not great; a little clearance issue in the front and it is hanging too low.

In theory the 4:2:1 provides about 1.5" more ground clearance that a 4:1 assuming it is tucked up to the engine the same distance. With a 17" Gixxer conversion this is very improtant. I'm going 18" wheels, but the 4:2:1 should also help the mid range, is lighter and should last as long as I can avoid totaling the bike.

Final fit on the can and how it hanges will come after I finish hanging the header. Progress being made at least.

Pos

Comment

Custom bender

So here is the big question, can I custom bend the upper parts of the down tube to achieve a better fit? It seems like doing a little bending up near the port would bring the bottom closer to the pan and realize something close to that 1.5" gain in ground clearance.

I might see if I can rent one, but it might be just as cheap to buy one of these. Can I slightly unbend with a bender? There is a slight clearance problem near the frame cross bar with the center pipes. I could just dent the pipe, but a slight bend up of 5 deg would clear nicely. Then 10 degrees down a few inches further.

After all that is done, I can still use the bender to finish the mid pipe for the just right fit.

Pos

Comment

The cheap way is to pack it tight with fine sand & seal the ends, then bend away. The sand stops the pipes crushing. When you've finished empty & flush.

This sounds crass but it works great!

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

How tight do you have to seal the ends? I was mainly worried about "unbending"; sounds like the sand would stop any collapsing; Great idea. .

I made a windsurfing boom bender about 20+ years ago after a friend showed me how. Rebent my same old booms for many years.

I could do that as well to match the bends on each upper pipe.

Thinkin Thinkin......more ideas.......

Thanks Dan.
                          Jim

Comment

Not that tight... just tight enough to stop the sand from falling out under pressure when you bend it. Gaffa tape (duct tape) would probably be sufficient, maybe with a cut out plastic cap stuck over the holes first. You'd have to fill the whole header or cut yourself a cap with some leg on it & secure with a jubille clip....

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              How tight do you have to seal the ends? I was mainly worried about "unbending"; sounds like the sand would stop any collapsing; Great idea. .

I made a windsurfing boom bender about 20+ years ago after a friend showed me how. Rebent my same old booms for many years.

I could do that as well to match the bends on each upper pipe.

Thinkin Thinkin......more ideas.......

Thanks Dan.
                              Jim
                              Hey Jim, is this your bike for sale here in Vancouver craigslist?
                              http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1210587978.html
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Rob,
                                Damn I always liked that look. Guess someone else did as well .
                                Crap should I start another GS fraud thread? Or............. Could there be two of them?
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X