Gs850 Backpressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs850 Backpressure

Hey everyone got a simple question. I have a 81 gs850G that i recently turned into a bobber, in the process i cut off the megaphone stock exaust 3-4" back of the rider foot pegs, and subsquently have no back pressure. So now it back fires only when i let of the throttle, my question is, is there any way to build enough backpressure so i dont burn up the valves and gain low end torque and or reduce the amout the engine backfires. Thanks

gs Bobber

Originally posted by gs850bobber View Post
    Hey everyone got a simple question. I have a 81 gs850G that i recently turned into a bobber, in the process i cut off the megaphone stock exaust 3-4" back of the rider foot pegs, and subsquently have no back pressure. So now it back fires only when i let of the throttle, my question is, is there any way to build enough backpressure so i dont burn up the valves and gain low end torque and or reduce the amout the engine backfires. Thanks

gs Bobber
    Yes, you could fabricate cones that restrict the outlet flows significantly, or refit the original pipes. Why did you hack the original setup? For more noise, or appearance? Your engine will be running a lot leaner than previously.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

put the exhaust tip in it, drill a hole for the screw to go in. I am curious as to why you cut the megaphone as well

Comment

You've already been given good advice on where to start with rejetting and on inserting a baffle over on the tech forum. Are you expecting a different answer here?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You are NOT going to "burn" a valve with un corked exhaust pipes. or from backfiring.. quick cooling may bend them but NOT likely. where did that myth come from?

weld a washer inside the pipes. or crimp the end to 0.85 of original pipe diameter. that is a performance exhaust flow ratio for exhaust gas velocity.

and the back fires will still be there until you get a diffusing cone and a reverse sonic baffle.

some times boosting the pilot carb circuit a little richer will help on de - acceleration.

Originally posted by gs850bobber View Post

gs Bobber
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
          X