Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsxr/gs wheel weights

Well I was lugging wheels around the shop today and decided to weigh some,

Early mid '90s gsxr 5.5 wheel with tire and rotor 26 lbs ...... GS 750 Rear wheel 32 lbs
    gsxr front wheel w/tire 16 lbs .......................................GS Front wheel 22 lbs

SRAD 750 6.0 WHEEL WITH ROTOR AND TIRE 25 LBS
    SRAD FRONT WHEEL WITH NO TIRE 8 LBS
    Last edited by katman; 03-03-2009, 04:04 AM.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Good info Rob. I had always wished I had weighed the stuff before I got rid of the stock parts. I think all totaled I've probably stripped 40-45 lbs of my bike with the exhaust, wheels, and other changes.

Comment

Even more impressive, considering that's all unsprung weight.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Even more impressive, considering that's all unsprung weight.

Unsprung AND rotating, so it not only affects ride, it also affects handling and turn in. That's like something for nothing...

Mark

Comment

add to that the 9 lbs of chain and sprocket loss going to 530. That is some serious weight loss.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I went from 530 to 520, not as big a difference as a 530/520 conversion, but should be good for a pound or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              I went from 530 to 520, not as big a difference as a 530/520 conversion, but should be good for a pound or two.
              I will weigh them up to later, along with forks and swingarms. I will post all the data to my tech site for future ref.
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Katman, did you ever weigh your finished bike to compare against the stock numbers? Little trickier to get on the scales.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                  Katman, did you ever weigh your finished bike to compare against the stock numbers? Little trickier to get on the scales.
                  No, wish I had. I have it all torn apart now and am building another frame with R1 swingarm, busa 6" rear wheel. She will be stretched with black/blue cosmetics. Just finishing up the frame right now. Swing is being bored as we speak then I will machine a new sleeve and bushings for the pivot.

I will be weighing the beast when I am done. Have found a place to it. I am hoping to come in 475 or better. That is 36 lbs light.

The R1 swing is much heavier than stock. I guess I should weigh that next and compare it to the bandit and stock.
                  Last edited by katman; 03-04-2009, 12:02 AM.
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Pshaw.

I could eat nothing but ice cubes and cucumbers for a year and save a lot more weight than that, although it wouldn't be rotating weight.

Plus, I'd actually save money.

Hmmmm...
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                    X