Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas where gas shouldnt be

Hey Guys,
    I upgraded to a dyno kit stage 3. It went well and everything is in place and where it is supposed to be. Shortly after I started it, I noticed all my gas drained into the crank case and mixed with the oil.

Why did this happen? I know enough to be dangerous (obviously) so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Chuck
    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM. Reason: typo

Two things could be wrong. Either a float valve is not seating or the petcock is leaking into the vacuum line going from the petcock to the carb.

Comment

Doubt its the petcock but a stuck float valve? Very possible.

Thanks,
      Chuck

Comment

Gas filled crankcase indicates two problems. A bad petcock and bad/dirty
        floats/ float valves

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck2 View Post
          Doubt its the petcock but a stuck float valve? Very possible.

Thanks,
          Chuck
          Doubt it's the petcock.....why ?
          I'm betting you haven't disassembled and cleaned the carbs yet.....

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Well, he DID install the Stage 3 kit, so he had the carbs apart pretty well. Chuck, did you disassemble the carbs, dip them, complete cleaning, and a rebuild? As to the petcock, if the diaphragm has a hole, gas can drain down the vacuum line, overflow the carb, and end up running down the cylinder walls into the crankcase. Pull the vacuum line off the nipple (that's the one that runs from the FRONT connection on the petcock, not the fuel outlet at the rear) and see if there is gas in the vacuum line. Also, with the engine not running, and the petcock in either run or reserve (but not prime; that lets gas out the fuel tap without any vacuum)pull the fuel line off the petcock, and see if any gas flows without vacuum. It shouldn't, and if it does, the petcock needs to be replaced or rebuilt. You can still buy the petcock from Suzuki, or anyone who sells OEM parts, and still get the K&L petcock rebuild kit.
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

The petcock is more likely to be the problem if you have fuel in your oil. If the float valve leaks the fuel is more likely to get sent out through the overflow lines. With a leaking petcock the fuel will end up getting into the intake port of the cylinder the vacuum fitting is on for the petcock.

Comment

You guys serious rock! The petcock is new/rebuilt dealer installed but I'll double check it to make sure all is in tack. And I'll do the test by pulling the tubes too to ensure it is functioning properly.

The carbs are clean clean clean, which might be my problem. It's possible one of the float valves is not hinged properly due to my reassembling them. It's pretty straight forward but if I was in a hurry, distracted, whatever, anything is possible.

I'm going to dive into both issues one screw at a time. I don't mind problems like this because it within my trouble shooting skill set

thanks for everyones input.

Chuck
                Rock on GS Resources Forum

Comment

The fuel cock should be "automatically" in the off position with the engine shutdown, unless you have it selected to prime. So even if you have a stuck float valve, you won't get that much fuel in the oil. My bet, the Fuel cock...

Comment

Did you replace o-rings on the float valve seats? If not they may be dry and shrunken allowing fuel past them. If you did replace the rings it's possible you may have shaved off a bit of it. If you don't oil them a little when installing the seats it's pretty easy to shave the o-ring inserting the seats into their bore.

Comment

Working...
                    X