Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post a pic and we can tell you.

Comment

Well.. This is what she looked like when I got her....

Comment

Looks like an E model fitted with a king/queen seat. Should be a 35mm dia fork. Either buy 650g forks (as they are 35mm) or fit a whole 37mm front end. Might have to mess with steerer stops, igniton etc.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I just bought the 1981 gs750 forks...

Comment

These brake kits still forsale ?

Comment

Ok, so those forks I got are too narrow for the whole wheel/speedo/spacer combo. I know you have talked about cutting 1/8th off the speedo cover, but the speedo cover is nto dictating how far my speedo sits. My speedo unit bottoms out before it is limited by the cover, so I don't see how cutting the cover will work. Any ideas? Also, I was considering an elctronic speedo that would not need the speedo unit. If I go that route, could I just use two of the mushroom shaped spacers? One on each side? If I do, they will be about 1/8th too wide for the forks... I'm thinking I could grind 1/16th off each one and it would fit fine. Does anyone see any issues with what I'm thinking?

Comment

Astradaryl - Yes PM'd you

Shryke300 - Can't you use the forks in your existing triple trees? I can't see how they can fail to be the right width then. The speedo drive dust cover only needs cutting down because you have move it's mounting surface (the outside of the brake disk) further out than stock.
                In theory what you are planning sounds fine as long as you do it correctly. It's tough to grind a spacer back flat though unless you use a table or put them in a mill.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ill try to post a few pics of what's going on. Im not sure why the difference is there. For whatever reason. I didn't seem to have too much of an issue with the speedo cover. It seem total width is key. I tried an got the whole deal between the forks with them just int he lower triple, but then they wouldn't slide into the upper. As for the spacer, the best i could do would be use a file and check it with a level on a flat surface....

Comment

the forks:

Measure ment of new forks:

Measurement of old forks:

Pic of speedo sensor:

Comment

You have one of the older speedo drive dust covers so you don't need to cut it down by the looks of it.

Essentially as long as you have the right length of spacers in there & the wheel is central to the frame / triple trees you can't go far wrong.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Roger. It looks like I'm a 1/4" off, though. As near as I can measure, the speedo and the spacer are the same length. I would have to take 1/8" off the top of the speedo. Not sure if it will ruin it to take that much. That's kinda why I'm thinking of just using two mushroom spacers, shaving them each 1/8" and being done with it. Like you said, though, I will have to be very careful to make them square.

Comment

Not sure on the speedo. I tried that on one from a GSXR & it didn't have enough material on the outside. You may find you can take material off the inside though.... You'll need to check tolerances carefully.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

would these work ?

Thanks daryl

Comment

Yes..

More brackets on the shelf for anyone who wants them.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

im looking for a set of discs on uk ebay if any one can help me out?

cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X